• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Everyone giving up on Mankato at this point? The river is extremely shallow through downtown and I haven't been to 7 Mile lately but I'm sure it's getting to the point of no return. Land of Memories and upstream for a mile or two would probably work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ec30_06

• MinnesnowtaWild

• Gordie

• DTro

Been watching the usgs streamflow data and that big rain we had did basically nothing for river levels...

Been watching the usgs streamflow data and that big rain we had did basically nothing for river levels...

Most of the rain fell in the lower section of the MN river. It did have some effect. It raised the level over a foot but it has been dropping down. It also increased the flow by X 4.

It been perking up the fish. Bagged a nice 30lber last night.

Originally Posted By: Carp-fisher

Most of the rain fell in the lower section of the MN river. It did have some effect. It raised the level over a foot but it has been dropping down. It also increased the flow by X 4.

It been perking up the fish. Bagged a nice 30lber last night.

I went to my favorite bullie spot and man the water raised up there as well! And the Bullies were on a feeding frenzie!

I woke up after all the rain and several dead heads that previously showing the day before were under water again. Not to mention the back of my boat sunk into the river from all that fresh water weighing it down.

• 1 month later...

I went for a little ride last night with HKK and Pureinsanity.

Here's the summary.....

Launched at Shakopee and went upriver to the Carver bridge. No problems going upriver during the daylight even though we rubbed the bottom on no less than 3 occasions.

Got two channels.

Headed back downriver as the fog started coming in. I was good until about halfway between Carver and Chaska and we hit a fog bank that was thick enough I had to get off the throttle....and of course we ended up setting down in water that's too shallow to float in....and likely sucked all kinds of bottom through the jet. HKK happily volunteered to get out and push.

Kept going downriver until about the tombstones and felt the steering stiffening up on the boat. That only means one thing.....I clogged the exhaust manifold cooling line. Past experience should have told me to check it immediately after the above-mentioned bottoming-out sequence.

Since the steering cable is in such close proximity to the exhaust manifold it does bad things when the cooling line gets clogged.

What a poor design.....this is common sense kind of stuff that some engineer was probably laughing about when he drew it up......"Dudes check out this 90-degree brass elbow at the bottom of the motor. No one can get to it. It's a critical line. A hose going onto a reducing barb and into a 90 degree fitting is gonna get clogged every time anyone sucks sand through this thing........you know how many guys are gonna get screwed out on the water because of this stupid little brass elbow.......it will be awesome!!")

How about "sweep" fitting instead of a 90 degree elbow????

When that 1/4" rubber hose gets clogged, the cable overheats and melts the outer casing.....causing it to melt to the inner cable and thus making the steering stiff.

Well we managed to get the cooling line unplugged after inhaling some gasoline fumes sucking on the hose....Thanks to Larry for finding that method on the 4th of July.

I am pretty sure that the cable is not in good shape...but it still works and is loosening back up. Problem is the outer cover is likely melted to where water can get in the cable. It's only a matter of time till another $170 buys another cable.

I may do a little re-engineering before that though.

That makes 4 times this year that hose has been plugged after putting a new cable in it in April.

Well we managed to get the cooling line unplugged after inhaling some gasoline fumes sucking on the hose....Thanks to Larry for finding that method on the 4th of July.

Nothing like a lung full of fumes and mouth full of Sand.... MMMM..mmmm Hack!

Dang, that sucks! Maybe we will all have to do a sand bar fishing outing soon. I haven't been in my boat since the beginning of Aug. and that has made me cut way back on fishing, along with other reasons.

Had a good time out with you and HKK last night. Thanks again. Too bad the flats didn't cooperate. Definitely a interesting ride back non the less. Makes things interesting. Hope the cable is alright and the outer casting didn't melt through.

Pretty sure I could still taste the fumes this morning.... I bet next time Keven will not wear shorts out on your boat. I was totally going for the paper, rock, sissor's until good ol keven was rocking the sweats and shorts.

As for that 90 degree elbow. I got to thinking today and I have a solution for you. I have a curved syringe that should be able to reach that elbow. I think it should produce enough water pressure to blast the sand right out of the elbow.

Next time we go out ill bring it a long and add it to your tool box. Hope it would work and save on inhaling those lovely fumes.

Let me know what you think!

NeedlesSyringes-12cc_412_curved_tip-180.

It looks like the jordan gauge will drop below 4 foot this weekend. I don't remember it ever being this low at this time of year. Good luck to anyone who tries boating out there. I will still be out there somewhere next week.

Yep Ed, I know it's historically been lower before, but I don't recall that myself. It's LOW an SLOW.

I really don't even have the urge to launch my boat right now.

Yes, when a person finds one, look out. I plan on hitting a few favorite spots in about 3 weeks when the water starts too cool.

Originally Posted By: Slowhand
I rowed downtream to the Jordan landing last week

laugh

It wasnt by choice Darren I can promise you that.

Just guessing that the walleyes will be stacked like cordword in particular areas, eh?

one problem with this is that you wont be able to get to them but theres always hoofin it down stream havent done that since the late 70;s early 80's. feelin old after that statement

Sure but unless I can find a way to pull my boat behind my bike I won't be doing much fishing any time soon....

I don't like the sound of that... mechanical problems or legal problems?

BTW... I'll shoot you some info on that Marcum transducer. Its a high speed transom mount.

Originally Posted By: hanson
Just guessing that the walleyes will be stacked like cordword in particular areas, eh?

one problem with this is that you wont be able to get to them but theres always hoofin it down stream havent done that since the late 70;s early 80's. feelin old after that statement

Take your truck mudding! Just don't lose it in the river this time.

took a few pics from the fishing trip, we were not in the water for more than 10 minutes before we had to deal with this. This is right after the 169 bridge outside of Le Sueur.

[img:center]001.jpg

[img:center]003-1.jpg

[img:center]002-1.jpg

WOW it really did get low, not all that long ago ec30_06 and I were in that stretch, it was ugly then but not dry...

Mechanical troubles hanson, my Jeep stalls randomly while driving so it's not really an option