• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You should be fine. 4th bend up is a little tricky as the river splits there when it's low. Beware of sand.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ec30_06

• MinnesnowtaWild

• Gordie

• DTro

And hope that you pick the right channel at the split. The sand moves around some in that spot so the best path to take can change.

Thanks guys, we've been walking a long ways it will be nice to drive now that i have a motor again.

Went out this afternoon and was able to locate a few deadheads I never knew about along with seeing a guy smack his lower unit pretty good. Those deadheads are starting to pop in some strange spots. Stay safe out there.

your right about the sand bar and dead heads. i needa better spot light. we had a safe trip but one of the wires broke on my light on the way back. now if the fish would just bite.

I have another river question about the Jordan launch. Never been down river what are the conditions like? Don't plan on going to far (about 2 miles if good conditions present) still learning all the time. The tip about the sandbar four bends up river was very helpful. We are going out saturday night any hep is appreciated.

It took a little maneuvering for me to get upstream last night. If it continues to drop, I will be parking the boat. Or just drifting down stream.

I had an ugly night last night as well, no damage (other than my ego) but I hit a deadhead, a sandbar, and a wing dam, and I knew all of them were there.

It's unreal how much the river can change in a year, channels that were once 3-4' deep go into the 10" range and I swear that wing dam moved, lots of drifting down current and praying going up.

Thats why I went back to the lakes. I miss the river but I would rather not take a chance on damaging the lower unit.

Good thing you recieved no damage Nick.

Your better off going upstream at judson toward browns creek down stream is very shallow and wide in spots u will have to get out of your boat in spots and pull it over the sandbars. upstream river is narrow should be better going for u . im gonna be on the river tonight also maybe we will run into each other . good luck .

Ye...made some woochips last night. If it goes down another 1' hip waders will be mandatory.

I have another river question about the Jordan launch. Never been down river what are the conditions like? Don't plan on going to far (about 2 miles if good conditions present) still learning all the time. The tip about the sandbar four bends up river was very helpful. We are going out saturday night any hep is appreciated.

Well you will only be able to go about 3 miles and you will find out that you won't be going any further, or if you do, you might be stuck until the river rises again. I would recommend that if you see rocks out in the middle, don't go any further!

Miserable time getting back to the landing this morning...took over an hour to go maybe 2 miles. Lots of sandbars hit...

Thanks again for the tips, we went up river, heard the carver rapids were low. Hit a dead head motor wasnt happy bout it either, but no harm done. That sand bar four turns up is really showing now, think you can camp on it. We stuck to the right and made it by but didn't catch anything up there. Caught one flat head on a spot on the way back to the launch.

It was tough going for me last night, I dont know how many more trips I want to put my boat through. I was playing pin ball with the logs and my boat. I got stuck on a sand bar backwards, and it took some work to get floating again. My prop took a little hit as well, but my prop is getting to the point where it really doesnt matter anymore. Normal daylight fishermen would think I am insane to even think about going through what I did last night. Come to think about it, I think I am insane as well.

It was tough going for me last night, I dont know how many more trips I want to put my boat through.

Boo Hoo Tough going with all those LARGE Flats landed. grin

And you don't need any more Trips you're a lock for the KOTC top 5 IMO.

WTG Scotty!... Life is Good.. smile

Your right, I was rewarded for beating up my boat. grin

As far as the lock for 5th? There is a lot of season left, with several others just one fish away from jumping in front of me.

franklin area is getting tricky low but with the right adjustments to the motor I was still able to run wide open thru most of the river down stream of franklin. but I dont think that those adjustments will work if it keeps dropping.

Ted hip waders now really just jump in the muck and have a good time grin

I sure love this time of year. Ran up and down out of Jordan last night never hit a thing. Had three guys, a full tank of gas (28 gallons), a full livewell (40 gallons), and a boat full of gear and never hit a thing......although even if I did, I wouldn't know it.

never hit a thing

say what???

Pretty sure I felt a couple of "speed bumps" laugh

and what about that tree Brian tripped over in the parking lot laugh

LOL speed bumps thats funny.

So in a River Pro you can just zoom over 4" of water on a sandbar then or what?

Quote:
So in a River Pro you can just zoom over 4" of water on a sandbar then or what?

That pretty much sums it up what we can do with them. WWG's is a bit faster than mine and I have driven that one over some 100 yard stretches of 4" or less . It's kind of freaky when you feel it lift over really shallow water and you don't scrub off any speed.

and never hit a thing......

DTRO thats because hes got extra padding on the seat grinlaughgrin

WWG I need a ride in your boat someday..

I took a ride in a river pro last year and loved it. We had walked a ways on shore and a guy took us for a ride and picked us up some firewood. WWG when did you get a river pro? I saw you last year with if I remember right a 16' and a twenty five horse, or was that some one else claiming to be you?

I just picked it up late last fall.

It's not running over 4" or even 3" of sand that's the best part. It's running over logs that are close enough to the surface to be making a wake in the current and not even hesitating. If it isn't above the water line, I don't even try to steer around it.....

You might feel a little bump as Darren mentioned, but it won't even leave a scratch on the bottom of the boat.....(as long as it is lumber and not rock).

Sounds like fun. Do you need to maintain full throttle to be able to go over sandbars and such?

Most likely, some guys once they get the feel of their boat can use water from their wake to slow down and create a lift and even go over dry land.