• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Metro

It looks like I am moving to the north end of the metro. What lakes are up that way and what will people tell me about them? If all goes through, I will know this week if I am moving up to the Robbinsdale area or not but have friends up that way and regardless would like to get to know some of the lakes up that way. I have been on Eagle Lake (when it was lower my friend and I kinda got his boat stuck a few times, all for one bass! crazy) Thanks for any information. If anyone feels more comfortable emailing me, [email protected]. Thanks smile!!!

medicine lake in plymouth is a good lake lots of panfish ,bass and pike , walleye the weekends are crazy with all the pleasure boaters but you can still find spots to fish hope this helps

Eagle is pretty good for pike and the occasional Musky. Medicine is a good general fishery. Fish lake is supposed to be a good general lake but I have not fished it this year so cannot comment.

In Robbinsdale itself you have the Twin Lakes and Crystal Lake all of which will produce bass, pike and pannies on a good day.

The river (Mississippi) is a short drive east.

There is a good deal of reasonable fishing up here. During the summer I am often out on one of the north burb lakes a couple tiems a week and almost always have an open seat.

Let me know if you are interested

medicine lake in plymouth is a good lake lots of panfish ,bass and pike , walleye the weekends are crazy with all the pleasure boaters but you can still find spots to fish hope this helps

Early in the day the north arm of the lake seems pretty good, Quiteco and I were out today adn caught a few, nothing worht talking about but it was starting to get busy while we were out.

First year fishing on Twin, just moved to Robbinsdale myself, have been having a blast with northern there.

Eagle is a cool lake. Weaver is just up 94. On the 694 stretch there is long and silver lakes, haven't been on either in a few years.

Thanks guys! Hopefully will hear on the house in a couple of days! smile jac714, when I move up that way I will probably take you up on that offer smile.

Here's another one for ya.

Think south. Check into permits for the city lakes. Calhoun chain and Harriet.

It's been a while since I've been to them and parking wasn't the easiest but it was worth it at the time.

My .02 goes to Medicine. Good bass and pike. Walleyes are getting there. Crappies/sunnies run small, but that's the metro for ya.

Want spots ask MedicineMan - he has underwater camera'd that lake like no one else. I know a few of his spots though. Oh Hi MedMan! I can shoot ya an email if you're interested

your right about that no one knows that lake better than medicine man

I'm heading out some where hopefully on Wednesday up that way with some friends. I would love to get some bass, that is one fish I haven't caught enough of this year. Hopefully my sunburn will tan out by then!!!! whistlecrazycool

I've been up that way in winter, but I don't have a boat and need to bum rides from others. Anyone fishing up that way that would like to share their boat I'll pay for gas/snacks, all that good stuff smile. Otherwise, any good place to shore fish up there?

mngirl do you like rivers and smallies. I'm out on the river at least two times week.

Hey Ebass, why did drag me into this? wink

Anyways, if you're stuck to shore mngirl there is a nice fishing dock on the west side of Medicine lake. It's right next to where Plymouth Creek flows in and I use to catch lots of Bass over there. Don't forget about Calhoun and Harriet as well. I haven't shore fished those lakes in years, but I have friends who fish those lakes from shore and catch Bass and Muskies.

If you wish for more info I can shoot you an email. I don't want to divulge to much on here.

In the spring and fall I used to catch bass, pike, an occasional walleye, panfish, and bullhead below the dams on the sunrise river. The fishing pretty much sucks now, but on the right day you might be able to find them again. Otherwise during the summer, what better way to stay cool on a hot day than to wade the croix? Plenty of bass to be had there.

dbright, when you say river are you fishing the St. Croix or Mississippi for the smallies

I fish the Mississippi as well but way Nortwest of the Twin Cites and it is a blast. I really like the river but have not fished any stretches in the area as I am not familier with access. I do know the access areas on the St. Croix but to much traffic for. The areas I fish we usually are the only ones on the water and its a blast. Where abouts do you access the Rum and Mississippi?

The rum any where from isanti to anoka and the mississippi by 694 and north of anoka and palisade to big sandy

I have never really tried smallies but wouldn't mind catching those. The only river I have tried is the Minnesota down by me. I wouldn't mind trying a river again however.

Work has been slow lately so i can make it out almost anytime. If you want to get out and try the river and chase some smallies let me know.

Let me see what I have going on in the next couple of weeks, my assistant is heading on vacation so I have a long stretch of work coming up, along with packing to move and other time consuming things. crazy

Maybe we could arrange a little mini gtg? Would anyone be interested? smile

It wouldn't matter to me, I just want to learn some new spots once I make the north metro home. I would be up for the river, I have never really done a lot of river fishing. What's everyone else think? Something in the fall? smile

Well the MedSea costs to launch unless you bought the park pass, but it's only $5 to launch once.

As far as the river I was thinking by the Camden bridge launch or the one by 694. Either way works - and close via river, but there are some nasty boulder layden areas to avoid. Unless you want to hit up Anoka.

I can take 1 person on a lake or 2 on a river if cat fishing. 14' jon boat doesn't have a lot of room for 3 peeps casting. I want a bigger boat - ugh.

Hey MedicineMan,

I'm going out with some of my bro-in-laws to Medicine tonight. I was wondering if you could give me some pointers and point me in the direction of largemouth. I would've messaged you but I don't know how that darn thing works. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm SOOOO close to being moved out of my apartment. How is the fishing doing up this way? I was out on Eagle in Maple Grove today and we got skunked. There were fish on the screen, just nothing would bite. frown

Dunno about up narth, but out west has been hit or miss. I did catch a 20" largie on Tuesday which makes 5 bass at 20" or over this year. Woo Hoo! Also caught a nice pike that puy up a heck of a battle. Leaves are starting to turn, lily pads are yellowing, water temp is falling, and sun sets are earlier each night. Now is the time to be fishin and it's only going to get better.

The fishing has been hit and miss for the most part. I was out sunday morning on Medicine lake and did better than expected. I ran into a fellow FMer who was doing as well. We were fishing for Bass if you're wondering.