• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tri hull boats (older tuffy boats)

TurnUpTheFishing

Question

Hey guys Im curious if anyone has any expierence with tri hulls or better yet older tuffy boats. How do they handle wind, waves, manuevere? Ive never rode in one butI have seen some older tuffy boats that I like the layouts of and are in my price range. Any feedback regarding tri hulls or just tuffys in general would be appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Years ago my family owned a couple of tri-hull boats, back then they were very popular. There were true tri-hull boats, and modified tri-hull boats. I think they tended to be flat and stable boats when at rest, and rough-riding and bouncy when running ---- both traits of having a lot of hull in the water and not much chine.

Given the age of the boats you're looking at, I'd suggest taking a close look at the transoms to make sure they're still solid.

Ive been looking around and from what little info Ive found Ive seem to be reading about poorly put together floors and rotting transoms. Floor I can tell but how would I go about checking the transom for rot? How much work/money goes into rebuilding a transom?

I had a boat the transom was coming off and took it to Bakkin's. It was about a grand to have it redon. Personally, I don't think you would be too happy with a trihull. I would save a few more pennies and look for a little new boat. That's just my opinion though. I was looking at them back in the day and test drove one. Didn't really care for the ride of it.

I figure there is a reason they dont make too many tri hulls any more.

DD

I have had 2 tri hulls (I'm poor.....there cheap lol)first was a 14' glastron with a 75 hp chrysler outboard .....second is a 16' silverline with a 140 mercruiser in it they are pretty stable but are fairly rough riding and really seem to be a pain to get to a plane and to be quite honest I have decided that cheap or not I don't think I will deal with another one lol(although to be fair some of the cheap was other [PoorWordUsage] I had to fix also so)some of this decision also comes from the fact I am tired of trying to make an old "fun" boat work as a decent fishing boat. I would kill to get a nice deep V or a decent bass boat (will be dreaming ion these for a while though lol)

over all I guess they arent tooooooo bad I mean they do float ....and they do move across the water sooo lol

but as was said already there is a reason they quit making them lol

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Look at the transom for cracks in the fiberglass. Transom cap will show the first signs of a rotted transom on a glass boat.

They still make tri-hulls.

More important then the transom are the wood stringers encapsulated in glass that run along the length of the hull under the floor.

If water has gotten to then the repair is a major deal. You'll also have foam under the floor that could be water logged. Being the floor covers all that up its hard to inspect it. You can do a visual of the hull, you'll be looking and listening for soft spots. Listening meaning a rubber mallet being tapped over the entire hull. I don't think it'll ride any rougher then an older aluminum hull boat. Weight difference being that a glass has an interior giving it its weight but also being glass the hull can be shaped differently then aluminum. Still at some point it'll pound in rough water but so will an old aluminum hull. A big benefit is a very stable platform of the tri-hull and they are cheap and I see them being given away as well.

So if your looking for a cheap boat just be aware of soft spots in the glass, rotted transoms, rotted stringers and waterlogged foam.

The best boat is the boat you can afford and still have money left to use. I have owned many used boats and always end up selling them for more or the same as I paid for them. It is a good feeling to buy a older boat and use it for a couple years free of charge !

My first boat was a Hy-Rider Tri-Hull. Good Starter boat. I enjoyed the stability it offered on the water but I agree they can beat you up when you take a large wave head on.

If the trailer you are looking at is a roller trailer pay close

attention to the areas where rollers meet the hull. Check for stress cracks caused by overloading then towing the boat and from the trailer hammering the hull on a rough road. Check the transom for rot as well.

Also pay attention to the trailer you will want the boat to load easy and a trailer that is safe. Trailer tires are not cheap so check them over close.

Good luck !

I have been using a tri-hull for...many many years. I love them for rivers and love them not so much for big water. Very stable, often laid out for good open floor fishing use.

Tuffy made very good tri-hull boats. If she is in good shape, your likely going to enjoy it.

The transom inspection deal is a very good point. Tap away on it and try to hear if it sounds hollow. Some early transom rot can be easily fixed with a liquid epoxy transom repair kit, if the fractures are not bad and spread into the corners. The kit is a liquid that fills the voids in the transom and hardens up like epoxy. Boating rigger warehouses on-line will carry it, it is not too expensive and is used often in saltwater applications where dry rot hit home more often.

There are many tri-hull configuration still in production. But now they are more commonly called Deck Boats...same..same..new name is all.

Thanks, great tips on the boat and trailer. The boat is similiar in layout to the current tuffy esox model. The layout looks like it will fish well. The biggest waves on the lakes I fish come from wakeboard boats. If anyone has anything to add please do so, Im still on the fence about buying now or waiting for fall and possibly a better deal.

In addition also look to see if the transom is bowed out in back.

I think if you are on a budget and not going in rough water the older tri-hulls are worth looking at. Pay attention to the accessories the boat has. Sometimes you can find one that has accesorries that are worth more than the asking price for the whole package.

We used to have a tri hull when i was a little kid, I loved riding over big waves the thing would fly! Maybe not so good if you have a trolling motor on the front but for entertainment value it was the best. I would love to have another tri hull, maybe next spring...

I just realised I responded to a year old thread... sorry... I'm just looking for stuff on how people modified them for fishing and I got caught up in the nastaulga.