• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am going to be in the Babbitt area the first week of September on a bear hunt. I would like to do some fishing in the mornings. Not particular on what kind of fish. I don't have a boat nor do I have much of a budget to rent one. Are there some opportunities to fish from shore? If so can you recommend some lakes in that area. Ely is not to far.

thanks....

Jon

Off either one of the bridges on Highway 1.

There are several trout lakes in the area that you could fish from shore at. Miners, in Ely has a pier. The other lakes could be fished from shore, GLacier Pond, High, Dry, Tofte, Hanson, Pear, Gypsy, Norway.

That sure gets me started. Now I need to find a good map with roads to some of these lakes. I found most of them in google earth but the roads to them are difficult to see.

I also need to find a small put put 12ft boat to take to a few of these lakes for a couple hours each morning. I love to eat fresh fish. I am hoping to bring a few home too. Most I will release though.

thanks for the help!

No I don't think so. I rarely fish. I really like it but I hunt so much there isn't much time left in the day. The wife would like to have a pontoon boat someday. I think that is a pipe dream. We just aren't consistent water people. The water calls us but we so often are to busy. I have a couple of friends that take me out once a year and I have a blast. It is as much the company as the fishing I think.

Interesting that you would take a left handed bow in trade. I do have a backup LH bow but I don't know if I am willing to part with it.

I was looking for something to use the week I will be in Babbitt to do a little fishing. I don't even know how much time or ambition I will have to get up early to go out. I am not very driven to fish by myself and my boating skills aren't very honed I am afraid. I grew up fishing in the bay in Superior and caught alot of fish that way.

I am trying to find someone with an old small kayak that I can use for the week. It would be easy to haul and fish close to the shore line. I still might ask around once I get there for a rental but then you are not very portable that way. Ideally if I new someone in the area, an old timer perhaps or someone that likes to fish and has the time I would be interested in going fishing that way. I could pay for gas and perhaps a little more. Then again if I harvest a bear the first night I am likely to head over to Wisconsin and fish with a buddy over there. As you can see it is really up in the air.

Jon