• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

From The Duluth News Tribune:

UPDATE: Man apparently drowned in Island Lake a day or more ago

The body of a 41-year-old Duluth man was recovered this afternoon from Island Lake, the apparent victim of a drowning, St. Louis County Undersheriff Dave Phillips said.

“It appears preliminarily he may have been in the water for one or three days,” Phillips said.

An initial investigation revealed no sign of foul play, he said. Because the man was fully clothed and wearing a windbreaker, the death appears to be the result of a fall off a boat or dock, Phillips said. The case is unusual because there has been no missing persons report, he said.

The man’s name is being withheld while relatives are notified.

A homeowner on the northern shore of Island Lake called authorities about 2:40 this afternoon after seeing a body about 300 feet offshore, Phillips said. The St. Louis County Sheriff’s Rescue Squad responded to 4102 Andler Road.

An autopsy will be conducted Saturday, he said.

The Rescue Squad is searching areas of the lake for an abandoned campsite or boat to determine where the man might have been originally, he said.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as they unfortunately learn of this.

Sad news indeed. I think about this all the time. What if I fell out of my boat when Im alone? My only hope would be that I can swim fast enough to get back to it or my co pilot around my neck works to get the boat back to me. Now if I hit my head and was knocked out who knows what would happen. Be careful out there folks and always tel someone where your going and when you will be back!!! At least leave a message on a home answering machine or cel phone. Heck even a e-mail.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Very sad news. My thoughts to family and friends.