• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone fished Star for walleyes lately? I am going to head there on Saturday and havent fished it since I was a kid. Any tips much appreciated. Thanks

They are biting east side of big Island but they are small and also by the bluff on west side down from bouy's

Thanks southwest. Any word on how they are biting on the north shore and the north arm? Lindy rigs with leeches the ticket?

Have a friend that lives on the lake. One evening after a fair # of adult beverages he gave me his "secrect method" for catching Walleyes on Star. He said if you are moving you are going to fast. Huh? he claimed that you must anchor on the sharp breaks along weedlines and cast a jig and minnow, or leech onto the break and let it sit. Very slowly drag it back a few cranks at a time, letting it sit between advances. I took him at his word and tried this out and was amazed at the success I had. I have always trolled walleyes with lindy rigs etc. but never done well on Star. Now I ONLY anchor on the breaks, keep moving to new spots untill you find fish then stay put.

I went out this weekend and trolled a lindy rig. Lots of northerns and nice bluegills but only one walleye.

Next time I will achor and try that method.

Has anyone ever tried using downriggers on Star for walleyes?

I dont even know if the fish would be there so it might not even be practical. I just figured it would be a good way to target suspended fish over the deeper water.

Heading up to Star on Saturday. laughlaugh Will be camping at Franks lodge. How's the bite been this week?

nice Crappies were biting last weekend, some sunfish, but the walleyes were tough to find, caught a few by the bible camp

will be trying again this weekend

Maybe catch you out on the lake somewhere. We'll have a 19ft blue/white bayliner. If you are by Franks Lodge, look for a Bluesteel Tundra & a black Yukon. We'll be camping out w/tents.

I just got back from a week at star. We found the bluegills in 13ft of water and the kids had a blast we caught many in the 9 inch range and one just over 10. We caught a few walleyes but they were very hard to find. If you want northerns just put on a rattle trap and hang on.

SM1 - did you get out with the down riggers, i thought i say you or someone come off the north access on Sat with down riggers. If it was you did you have any luck with them? Was a carzy wind that day.

No it wasnt me. I wish it was though! I've really got the itch to get out and use my riggers, but i have been laying pretty low lately. Baby #2 is scheduled to arrive anyday now (due date is today Aug 3)

Maybe after a few weeks I can sneak out there. I was hoping for someone to chime in if it has worked for them. SM1

Yes we did!

Aug 4th

9 lbs 5 ounces!

Boy

Im into medicine, so with the help of our doctor I was able to do most of the delivery myself!! I was able to do the same with our first child (daughter) as well. Special experience for us!

The little guy got his first fishing rod tonight:

8' rod w/ a diawa sealine 27 linecounter reel.. whistle

He'll use it for trolling cranks and such when he gets a little bigger, I'll just use it in the mean time grin

One of the guys working at the old baitshop in Pelican once told me the guys using downriggers on Star would pull the longest floating rap behind them and they caught some very large fish on them. He has since passed away and I didn't have a downrigger at the time, so I really didn't pay attention to more details.

Not necessarily riggers but I have heard others say they caught some very nice eye's trolling deep running cranks (Reef Runners, etc) for suspended eyes over that deeper water, so I'd have to assume riggers would work as well.

• 3 weeks later...

hey was wondering if anyone could let me know if the walleye bit has turned on yet? haven't been able to make it out there in the last month..

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went out Friday and fished from about 2pm till 8 and only managed one small eye and a rocket. Marked plenty of fish after about 5 but couldn't get anything to hit. Anyone else doing anything?

• 4 weeks later...

was out yesterday and I think I was the only one on the lake... did fairly well from 5-7:30pm with the eyes then didn't mark a fish after 8:30pm. I walked out, didn't want my truck to freeze in with all the slush but I think I would have been just fine. Will pry head back on saturday and try my luck again.... anyone else been out lately?