• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hey everyone. need ur help here.

so i know there are gar in lakes in ottertail county.

rose, german, long, stalker, and all that (the pomme de terre watershed)

has anybody been seeing any gar? are they easily accessable from shore?

me and the old man want to get out sometime soon and try for some gar. (our first time)

thanks in advance!

I don't know about the lakes you mentioned but the Minnesota river is full of them if you are located close enough to travel there.

As far as looking up in ottertail I dont know where to look. But I have had the best time finding them when it is very calm in the evenings close to weeds with bait fish you will see them smapping on the top of the water. Doesnt tell you were to go but helps you out with what to look for

As far as looking up in ottertail I dont know where to look. But I have had the best time finding them when it is very calm in the evenings close to weeds with bait fish you will see them smapping on the top of the water. Doesnt tell you were to go but helps you out with what to look for

i know all that. but i tried shore fishing on rose lake last year. and found that you cant shore fish the lake. you can only fish a BIG fast flowing outlet. and that doesnt work.

i am wondering all this because we would rather not borrow a boat. but we can if we have to

I'll second what Harvey Lee said about the MN River. There are some back waters that in the past have held thousands of gar.

When I was your age I would walk into the river bottoms (cousins land) after the flood waters have settled down and they would be all over the place.

One place I could tell you to look is what's known as Bucks Lake between Le Sueur and Henderson on State HWY 93. It's about 1/2 mile off WHY 169. The DNR allows promiscuous fishing in the winter since many of the fihs will frezze out. One that seems to surivve are the gar but there is also a lot of wanton waste with people leaving gar, carp, buffalo, and drum for the eagles.

I don't know about the lakes you mentioned but the Minnesota river is full of them if you are located close enough to travel there.

even better! any reccommendations? if my dad could fish cats as i fish for gar it would be amazing!

They realy are not that easy to catch, best bet is sight fishing for them, I have a place on long and caught one 2 weekends ago, but that was by accident, Long is full of them but I have spent most of my life fishing the lake and that was only my second one ever catching, but never really tried for them either with a rod and reel. They sun them selfs in the weeds and if you go realy slow around the banks you'll see them at dusk you'll see them surfacing all over the lake.

Get the boat and head to German on a calm warm evening. Bay across and to the right from the access. They look like canoes floating. I have seen state record gar in there. We used to speed troll for them with skiing rope. 3' of blue/white waterski rope, not ties at 1.5'. Fray the last 1.5' out so it looks like a big bass bait skirt. No hooks. Speed troll the weedline during the day. Gar hit it, snap their jaws onto it, and roll like a gator. Drag the thing into the boat and giggle. Now what? Ha ha ha. You will need several of the lures because it is a B to get it off the fish! This is bringing back 35 year old memories! My grandpa used to yell at me, faster! You can't our run the S.O.B.es!!! Faster! Had a 6 horse!!! Ha ha ha

KC

You will need several of the lures because it is a B to get it off the fish!

oh i have plenty wink with many MANY more to make

you could say ive gone a little.... gar crazy laugh

101_1002.jpg

some of em are way more detailed than needed. lol

101_0986.jpg

i have also put them on jigs and wrapped blue and silverchristmas tinsel as a hackle. (upper right)

How long are these lures? I think it would be a blast to get a gar! So, you just fray a length of ski rope, and tie a knot in the middle? Than how do you attach it to your line?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am very interested in this: Jake,it looks like you have it figure out!

How long are these lures? I think it would be a blast to get a gar! So, you just fray a length of ski rope, and tie a knot in the middle? Than how do you attach it to your line?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am very interested in this: Jake,it looks like you have it figure out!

i made them in a variety of sizes, from 6-10" long

i cut a 12-20" peice of rope. fold it in half. put an o-ring on a zip strap. and zip it tight right in the middle. then fray the rope. and WALA! you have a gar lure

That would be "Voila" young master angler. ;-) Use Firefox, it saves me from a LOT of typos.

I wish I would have fished as hard as you in my youth. Too much Baseball for me back then. Tight lines dude.

Joe Z