• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck hunting in Fergus falls area

I was up doing some early early scouting and a little fishing the last few days and noticed that duck numbers are down. There are a few mallards and wood ducks but I did not see any blue wings. Over the last 10 years there have been fewer and fewer blue wings around. I dont know, they are probably just staying in the dakotas with all the other ducks. On a positive I did see a pintail something I have not seen in awhile. It looks also like there are a few geese around. I wonder if there is a connection between the goose population and breeding ducks. Geese seem pretty territorial and might be pushing the ducks out.

just an observation

fnf

geese are already nesting when some of the dabblers show up in the spring, and use different habitat for nesting, so i doubt they are pushing off the ducks. my obervations about an hour south of fergus make it seem like there are more blue wing broods and less mallard broods. but thats all subjective, visibility, time of day, etc.

We hammered the blue wings in the Alexandria area last year. Had a hard time getting anything else. (early season) Mostly woodies and teal on opener. Saw some mallards but they were in large flocks and wouldn't look twice at our spread.

We ended up with a bunch of blue wings, and some mallards and gadwall, and ringers last opener. Last year was probably the best opener ever for us in 25 years (South of Fergus). And it was my Grandson's first ever opener and weather was nice - what more could you ask for! We even build a new blind on Saturday afternoon and used it on Sunday. I hope the blue wings will be back in full force again.

Late in the season, on my buddies farm lake, we had the best ever ringbill shoot (a few bluebills mixed in) on deer opener. His lake was FULL! Even after the first volley a couple/few hundred more got up from the pocket that we didn't even know were there. I almost thought I wasn't in MN wink Actually, the past 4 or 5 years have been getting slowly but steadily better for us in MN.

Ahhh, man, I am getting excited already smile

I agree that last year was decent for an opener. Where I hunt there were some bluewings around in fact my new hunting buddies first retrieve was a bluewing but woodies and ringbills made up most of the bag. I could have limited on redheads everytime out later in the season but typically pass on them. I was thinking back to the mid 90's when on opener we shot 15 ducks and 11 were teal.

I prefer big water hunting over puddles but there is something about the sun coming up in the marsh on opening day.

3 months to go

fnf