• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Park Rapids area lakes - walleyes

Hey all, great site here that I happend to fine this past week. Heading up to the cabin this next week on Palmer Lake near huntersville. A buddy and me plan to hit take the boat to other lakes in the area since we have all week, any biting on a certain one? I have fished big sand and long lake, but it has been years. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Was up over the fourth and happend to only pull one walleye in, usually they bite pretty well on our small lake. I threw eveything I had at them too! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Jon

Try trolling crankbaits on Long at sunset until well after dark. We have had good luck with #11 floaters over the weed flats, and if you are marking fish in the 20' to 25' depths, run a deep tail dancer down, and you will nail some big fish.

Also, an hour or two before sunset, look for baitfish on the surface out over deep water. You can usually get some eater size walleyes that are suspending, feeding on those baitfish.

We will be on Long in 2 weeks, and that will be our game plan for the week.

Is there any certain better part of the lake? north end, south end? I know when i was younger we always hit that point on the south end, up to the right from the access. Also, are there still trees in the water from the south access? I remember as a kid watching for trees for my dad as we would get up to that point....Thanks for anymore help!

Don't forget to work the breaks in 15-35 feet of water with a lindy rig and leech during the day, long snells. Fishing has been stellar on Long, and Big Sand has been good at peak twilight hours...