• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help

SS 9 IRON

Allright here we go...I've got to swallow my pride and lay down some truth. I've been out 6 or 7 times fishing the 94 bridge all the way down to the Kinni with little to no success. The few eye's I have caught have come in around 20 feet of water. I've tried trolloing in the shallow's with raps in 7-10 feet of water, live bait riggin (lindy rigs) in depths from 10 to 30 feet of water. I;ve drifted areas that have held fish in the past with no success. I've trolled cranks in 15 to 20 feet of water and led core in 30 feet of water. I've boated a few sauger with led core. I had a buddy out about a month ago and we fished all day with out 1 eye! We fished all the way down to Prescott. I read that fellas are consistenly catching fish. I recognize the St Croix is a large body of water and it takes years to learn but I just can't seem to find fish this year. My next outing I will be employing the advice of Turk and River Dan giving shallow water my attention. Question for you all: Is the fishing better from the Kinnie south to Prescott. I've fished the heck out the area from the 94 bridge to the Kinnie. I'm ready to quit (just kidding). Anyhow, any thoughts are appreciated. If you see a confused looking fella fishing out of a 18ft lund explorer with a johnson 140 say hi and maybe throw a bone my way grin see ya on the river

try down by kinni with slip bobers and leaches and just drift with crawlers lindy rig but blow the worm up with air so it will float up off the bottom give that a try

Is the fishing better .. any thoughts are appreciated.

It's a big yes and no. The fish do migrate, but there is quite a bit more structure north of the Kinni to fish. It's a tough call for sure, only so much time to fish and the no-wakes are time vacuums. Fishing has been pretty consistent north up til this past week from what I can tell. That being said, I am glad gas is cheap.

You know, either area is good. Turk fishes the same area you are and is consistant. Over ten years of experience does help though. River Dan and myself fish mainly below the kinni and stay pretty consistant. I can tell you my main technique is lindy riggin'. But guys are pulling them off slip bobbers, spinners and raps. You have to find the fish and then really work to get them. They are biting very light right now to the point were I've even used stinger hooks to get them.

The upper St Croix I believe holds more fish and has more gems and water, I consider everything above the kinni the upper and everything below the lower, I very rarely ever get above the kinni I focus on the 6.5 mile stretch from the kinni to prescott. Lindy riggen is my favorite presentation on the river whether it be with minnows, leeches or crawlers. the rig I use is 4# fire line crystal a 1/4 to 3/8 oz bullet weight I put a bead between the weight and swivel, I believe the weight hitting the bead makes a clicking sound, the snell length I'm using now is around 6' foot with a # 8 hook, slow is the key, I slowly lift and drop the rig a couple times a minute, sort of jigging while riggen seems to work pretty well. Don't get frustrated just hold your head up and keep at it besides its relaxing and beats work, unless thats your job wink

Thanks fellas for the good advice. Perhaps I've been trying too many things and haven't spent enough time with one method. I'm gonna go to Gandermountain with Friday's paycheck and get rigged up proper. 5 or 6 different lindy spinners and some plain snells (I'll end up getting some raps and a handful of other baits I may or may not really need)! I just need one good outing to get my confidence back. i'm already excited,