• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys heading up to Jay Cooke here in a couple weeks and I was hoping to do some shore fishing. I would like to go after walleyes, but am think considering time of year that probably isn't the best option. Otherwise I am open to just catching a few fish. Thanks for any suggestions and help!

Scott

I would head down to the boyscout landing on the St. Louis in Gary. Otherwise somewhere near Fon-du-Lac. You never know what you can catch there. I caught an eel once as a little kid. Freaked me out.

131st Ave and chambers grove park are very close to jay cook too and can catch fish at either.

Fish the Thomson Reservoir along the breakwall to the west of the structure that holds the water back. I don't think the word can be typed here, but it rhymes with ham. smile

There are tributaries into the river that hold trout too, but you have to cross the river or access them privately.

• 2 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread about the same topic I'll just jump on here.

We're going to be staying at here next week with the trailer for camping and hiking and relaxing but no boat. I was hoping to get a little shore fishing in.

Is there any place in the park that you can fish from?

From the places listed above in previous posts, what kind of fishing are we talking about? Throwing a bobber out or casting raps?

Just wondering how much of my arsenal I should bring along. I was hoping for just one rod and an assortment of rapalas a bobber and some hooks.

If you walk the dirt trail up from Chambers Park you will see shore fishing spots. Cast Raps, jigs, beetle spins and yes slip bobbers. Minnows would be my 1st pick. Bring plenty of tackle its very snaggy in that section of the river.

Otherwise hit the Boyscout Landing fishing pier, if its still out, and cast a bottom rig out and see what ya get. Pike, musky, eyes, crappie, catfish etc. all in there.

Hey Odanata, do you work anymore? See any birds on your property? I am fine.(hehe) Have a great week. Hello to my 2 girlfriends in your house.

Scrod~

If you fish the reservoir in Thomson, bring a few orange rapalas and some gold blade Mepps spinners. Smallmouth bass are in shallow right now and you can catch them casting from shore.

Mike S~ Yes, I do work, a few birds here and there. Your two girlfriends say hello. Stay out of the rapids.

• 3 years later...

After all the flooding can one still access the Resevoir? I have driven by it several times going between Carlton and Duluth. Is there a special turn off, if i remember right there are no tresspassing signs in certain areas. I know 210 and that is it. This will be the year i cut the black jack short and go fishing.