• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

warning to ALL le homme dieu fisherman, swimmers, skiers, etc.

i really should not be up this early. but i have been woken up around 4 am the past 2 nights, because my legs started itching like crazy.... lake itch is here!

and it has to be from le homme dieu, i never waded or went in the water anywhere else.

i got it wading around government point when i was stalking carp

hit the water at your own risk.

i am not encouraging people to stop fishing, the fishing is great rightnow, bass and walleye are active, as well as the panfish. northen pike can be found along bug-a-boo. up shallow (allows for great sighti fishing and fly fishing opportunities. )

or on the weedline there

use caution before going out on the lakes

tight lines!

Same goes for Lake Reno - Quite a few of us got lake itch this weekend.......I recommend staying out of the water at all costs unless you want to feel like cutting your own legs off from the itching!

Same goes for Lake Reno - Quite a few of us got lake itch this weekend.......I recommend staying out of the water at all costs unless you want to feel like cutting your own legs off from the itching!

it came pretty early this year. usually it doesnt come till late july

i noticed something strange too... i have very little lake itch on my legs, but all over on my arms. i was wading in my jeans, and only got my arms wet when i was landing my 2 (back to back PB (11+ and 12+, both would have easily shattered the state record) bowfin.

maybe just that little bit of clothing is the key to not getting lake itch?

When I was on Osakis a week and a half ago I heard a family got duck itch/swimmer's itch up on the north end of that lake.

When I was on Osakis a week and a half ago I heard a family got duck itch/swimmer's itch up on the north end of that lake.

wanna know another odd thing?

i have never seen or heard of anyone catching lake itch from lake agnes or lake henry. only clearer lakes. hmm...

i got lake itch worse than i've ever had it before about a week ago. the thing you have to do is DO NOT ITCH!!!! i know that it is very hard not to, but it will save you some discomfort. also use calamyn and benadryl lotions over where it itches.

We were on Amelia all weekend and no problems...my youngest went to Minnewaska on Monday and he is covered with it.

We were on Amelia all weekend and no problems...my youngest went to Minnewaska on Monday and he is covered with it.

usually the smaller lakes get it first. this year its the big lakes first.

A couple of family members got the itch this weekend on Miltona as well.

I'm not too familiar with this, does it last the rest of the summer or will it go away in a few weeks?

hey muskie I think it has to do with where the wind is blowing to shore at. we were on Amelia too on the north end and with the wind from the south My wife got it, luckily I went fishing and not swimming wink I have got it a lot worse though than her case from waska last year

We had a bass tournament on Waska a few weeks back and I think half the field got it from wading in water down by the beach, it was terrible. I've read they won't go through clothes.

Usually if you take a bath or shower right after you get out of the water that helps it a lot too.

I have heard that if you get a towel and dry yourself off right away after being in the water it really helps. But you have to towel off RIGHT AWAY. Reason being is that the little critter that makes you itch has to be in water to live. So when you come out of the water and there are drops of water on your body and they start to evaporate the little buggers burrow into YOU to survive (or stay wet) I have heard this from quite a few people but don't know for sure if its true or not. But might be worth a try.

Seems late to me instead of early...in 12 years on Amelia, we have only had an issue around Father's Day???

A couple of family members got the itch this weekend on Miltona as well.

I'm not too familiar with this, does it last the rest of the summer or will it go away in a few weeks?

the local government should be treating the lakes with an insecticide to kill off the chiggers which cause the swimmers itch. They need to be informed before they will test the water to see if the numbers are big enough to treat it. I am not sure what the insecticide actually kills, but is not supposed to have that big of impact on the lake.

If someone knows what the insecticide kills please enlighten me and others.

Looked it up for you that have been infected with swimmers itch

What is swimmer's itch?

Swimmer's itch is a skin rash caused by a parasite (shistosomes) which ordinarily infect birds, semi-aquatic mammals, and snails. Common grackles, red-winged blackbirds, ducks, geese, swans, muskrats and moles have been found to carry the parasite. As part of their developmental life-cycle, these parasites are released from infected snails, migrate through the water, and are capable of penetrating the skin of man. After penetration, these parasites remain in the skin and die but can cause an allergic reaction in some people. The parasite in man does not mature, reproduce or cause any permanent infection.

Who gets swimmer's itch?

Only about one third of the people who come in contact with the parasite develop swimmer's itch. People who swim or wade in infested water may experience this itchy rash. All age groups and both sexes can be involved, but children are most often infected due to their habits of swimming or wading in shallow water and playing on the beach as the water evaporates from the skin. Swimmer's itch may be prevalent among bathers in lakes in many parts of the world, including the Great Lakes region of North America and certain coastal beaches.

How is swimmer's itch spread?

An individual may get the infection by swimming or wading in infested water and then allowing water to evaporate off the skin rather than drying the skin with a towel. Person-to- person spread does not occur.

What are the symptoms of swimmer's itch?

Whenever infested water is allowed to evaporate off the skin, an initial tingling sensation may be felt associated with the penetration of the parasite into the skin. The irritated spot reaches its maximum size after about 24 hours; the itching may continue for several days. The symptoms should disappear within a week.

How soon do the symptoms begin?

A person's first exposure to infested water may not result in the itchy rash. Repeated exposure increases a person's allergic sensitivity to the parasite and increases the likelihood of rash development. Symptoms may appear within 1 to 2 hours of exposure.

What is the treatment for swimmer's itch?

There is no treatment necessary for swimmer’s itch. Some people may get relief from the itching by applying skin lotions or creams to the infected site.

When can you get swimmer's itch?

The first outbreaks usually occur in late May or early June. The outbreaks in Wisconsin may last from 2 weeks in the northern lakes to a month in the southern lakes. In some lakes it may last the entire summer.

What can be done to reduce the chances of getting swimmer's itch?

•Toweling off immediately after swimming or wading in infested water can be very helpful in preventing rash development.

•Swim in water away from the shore.

•Avoid swimming in areas where snails have accumulated.

Don't encourage birds to stay near swimming areas by feeding them.

Altough the symptoms caused by chiggers are similar to swimmer's itch, chiggers do not cause swimmer's itch.

i havent had chiggers yet, what are they like? worse or the smae as lake itch? how long do chiggers stay with you?

Ottertail has the little buggers too. Some of the relatives kids were covered after swimming near Riviera Ranch access.

Was on Rush Lake, south of Perham, last week and Monday-Wednesday too strong of a north wind to get out fishing since we were on the south side. On Thursday, the wind died and the whole family got the itch. Three days of pushing gunk our way did us in. Friday-Sunday we made sure to jump in the 6' kids pool on shore and towel off every time in and out of the water. Also changed swimming suits a couple of times a day cuz we heard that being dry will prevent the itch. It worked, and we didn't get it again. Must have looked funny to the neighbors seeing a grown man in the kiddy pool!

I did a little googling and chiggers are land based and lake itch is, well, lake based. So i guess we had lake itch.

Muskie, wife now she thinks they were just a lot of bug bites since nobody else that was swimming with her had any issues. I dont think it was lake itch after all, good news.