• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing reports for swell bay/redgut?

How has the fishing been on swell bay/redgut recently. What depths have the fish been biting in? Any reports on smallies too?

Fished Redgut and Swell the week of June 27th thru the 4th. Weather for Sun,Mon,Tue was brutal. Temps had dropped about 25 degrees from the past week. Winds were raging 35-40. We fished mostly around the Bear Narrow passage during this time due to the conditions. We were able to pick up decent numbers of eaters and some slot fish using clown husky jerk-baits, deep diving clown husky jerk-baits and rogues. We did pick up a few nicer fish on wind blown points casting. 25" and 27". We found small eyes around moose island in RG in 20-35 ft of water jigging. Later in the week the weather broke and sunny calm days followed wed, thurs, fri. Bass were everywhere and seemed in full spawn. Most fish we caught had bloody fins and tails. Caught some on top, banana color twisters, spinnerbaits, and cranks. Find round boulders and you will probably catch smallies. The Mayfly hatch was happening in Porters Inlet and the water there looked like chocolate. We also were in Seine for a bit on Sat. AM before heading south and checked out Wind Bay, in every shallow bay there were smallie's showing themselves popping Mayflies off the surface. Easy to catch when they show themselves like this and the water is so clear and calm. The kids had fun sight fishing for a bit. When it was overcast and cloudy the top lure was not even close. Zara Puppy with white bottom kicked butt. Tues and wed before the sun came out the smallies were hammering the "walk the dog" with this bait. We caught at least 300 brown bass for the week. Big fish were 20" and about a 7 over 19". I fish Green Bay a bunce and I will take the size and quantity of Green bay over Rainy all 7 days of the week. The fish have much better color and seem fatter. Just an opinion. We stayed at the Fisheries Resort in cabin #8 and it is really nice and we had a great week considering the first few days. We also managed a some decent pike with a 44",40".and about a dozen in the 33"-35" range. I would definately throw clown, blue, cranks. White or yellow jigs, white and silver buzzers. Never really got a tube or senko bite going. Hopes this helps.

Yamo, thanks for the report. planning on heading up to the canadian side of rainy lake sometime in august. Thinking about staying at Coppens Resort? Wondering if anyone has a rating of that resort? Also wondering where to pick up some leeches,beer & if you can bring in potatoes across the border yet?

Yamo and Lagass99, I just got back today from there today. Another working vacation, was able to fish Wed. and Thurs, early morn and late eve. Crawlers and minnows on anything chartruse style seemed to work. Larger bait was better the last few days. Wheres Coppens, I"m looking to go back in mid August? BTW The fishing and catching was the best in years.

HTB

How has the weather been around rainy lately? I am thinking about doing some trolling when I go up there sometime in august, what are some good baits to use for trolling for walleyes and maybe some northerns. (what size crankbaits)

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Redgut last week and this week, Got lots of Eyes each day, No trouble getting our slot fish each day, and got many eye's in the 20 to 24 inch range, with the biggest 26 inch. Also stumbeled on a few bass, with the biggest being 19 inches. Got the usual number of big northerns, and as usual lost a few baits to em. We drag Shadraps,(7's) and the best depth was between 30 and 35 ft. along the deep water side of reef's and flats.

Two one ounce chain weights on the line and a four foot gut leader. Then about 150 ft or so of line, and adjust speed and line length to find the bottom.

Bottom bouncers with a crawler harness or crank is generally how I fish the reefs in swell and do very well using this method...however not this last trip. Got back yesterday and marked tons of fish in the 28-35 foot range but most were very sluggish and tight lipped. Caught most of our slot fish off islands in 18-24. It's been a screwy year this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Wifey and I spent Thurs-Mon at Coppens and found the fishing decent but the weather very wet, lots of storms rolling through. What I will say is the owners/staff at Coppens really make an effort to help and ensure you enjoy your stay there. We had car problems and another couple had problems with his trolling motor, both times the owner was right there helping to resolve the problem and offering everything he could to help us. The service we received was way beyond the half hearted effort you get from some of the spendy places we have stayed. An A++ for Ed and company.

Thanks again,

Hitthebricks (Bob)

Fished Redgut last week, and again done well with the eyes. We were cranking around the edges of flats and islands. The fish were deeper than normal for this time of the year, in fact we got quite a few in 40 feet or more of water, suspended around 30 ft. Unfortunately we had a series of storms friday night, with 7 inches of rain over night. We had a couple visiting us, and their boat sunk at our dock. Spent saturday getting the boat up and getting both motors dryed out and running. Never could get all the water out of the boat gas tank. The Fisheries resort had three boats sink at their docks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a long weekend with the family. The forecast going into the weekend was not very good so I figured it would be tough. The fishing was good on friday....tough friday and saturday....good sunday morning. Pretty much depending on the wind.....Swell/Sciene(spell) turned out some nice fish, but could not find the big gals this year. Feeding Depths were 26-30 and most of the fish at this level were not of much size.

Redgut was tough fish as the target was crappies. With the winds, crow rock as this was the only place to fish for friday and most of saturday. Feeding Crappies were 28-30 ft. Found some new trees up by porters and ended up with some nice walleyes mixed in with the crappies. Tough to hold locations with the winds and a front mounted electric. Most of the open water fishing was with the kicker in attempt to hold/hover location. I guy probably could have done better with the anchor, but what fun is that.

Overall, still cannot beat this area for putting a smile on the face. smile Reserved for next trip 2nd weekend of October.