• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike, Late July or September

muskie35

I usually go to Red in mid august for pike. The weekend that works for me in August is booked at the place I stay. Just wondering if any one has any reccomendations on what would be better for pike, late July or September?

Both?

If I had to chose I would go July as the waters tend to turn easier in September.

Thanks Johnny, I didn't think about the Turn Over. I am still trying to work out the dates for the trip.

As far as going both times, I would love to, Heck I would love to go for more than that. Just not sure work would allow it.

Your feed back as always appreciated!

The lake never gets a chance to stratify, the recent winds are like one messed up blender. What I was saying buy turn is big waves or the churning up of the water. For some reason I say turn. Guess I use that since it turns murky.

Thanks guys, I actually worked it out so I could go August 20th thru the 23rd. Hopefully the water will warm up a little more by then to get the pike more active.

Is the pike fishing good througout upper red? I seem to have most of my luck near the tamarack and westwind.

Yhe eastern shore is often the best bite for numbers with some tankers mixed in. If you want big pigs look to the north shore weedlines.

how deep do the weeds grow on the north shore? Are they spotty or is there a pretty distinct line?

The Reed edge runs in three to five feet and then you will find that stringy grass stuff that fish don't like until eight feet then from nine to eleven you will find cabbage patches. If it is calm just look for the tops.

The cabbage is what I am looking for. Never found much of it but then I guess I haven't spent enough time looking on the north part of the lake for it. Never thought it would grow deeper than about 5 feet in that color of water. Been looking too shallow I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone fished for Pike Lately? I am comming up this Thursay. I wish the forecast was a little warmer to get them moving.

I would imagine for the lake is pretty murky. I was hoping for a nice mild non windy week, but so far that has not happened. Is trolling still the way to go for northens, or is it a little murky for them to see large raps moving quickly?

Thanks Jonny,

Slow was the key. Of the 3 and a half days we were there only saturday was not very windy. We got one pike 36 inches on a windy Friday. Lost one half way in the net, which my wife felt bad about, me too for a little bit. It was probably the biggest. O well, it happens We got 3 more on saturday in between 36 and 40 and a half. Fish were caught trolling at 3 and a half miles an hour.