• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is there a good road on Lake Mazaska. I want to take my wife, 4th grade daughter, and 2nd grade son fishing Saturday. I don't want to get stuck with the family along.

Any suggestions for fishing? I'd like them to have a good experience. The last two times I took the kids they starred down a hole for two or three hours without a bite. They were real troopers and stuck it out without complaining.

This is the first time in three years I've talked my wife into trying it. So like I said I would like them to have a good experience and catch a few fish. Thanks for any help and suggestions .

Franch Spaniel, the road on Mazaska are ok, but not great. If you have a 4x4 it's somehow safer, but don't try with a 4x2.
I was on the north/west side last night, where I had my shack, had bites and brought fish up, but my truck was 1 foot lower than snow, there was at least 4" of water on my tracks and was very, very sloppy.
Ice is good still (approx 24").
I suggest to park next to any "trail" and try there, to be on the safe side.
I admire your kids, mine if they don't bring fish up after 35 seconds they get annoyed.
I'll be around the lake during the weekend (I live 2 miles from it) and if you see a dark green newer Dodge truck w. topper, stop and say hi.
Have a good time.

Thanks Valv,
I think we will try it in the morning before things start to melt.

Last time I went alone things were slow until I fished with a plain flouresent hook. The ice jigs weren't working. After that I caught enough to keep things interesting.

Thanks for the info on the roads. I'll bring the camp stove just in case the fish don't bite. The kids like cooking on the ice. Keeps them busy until the fish bite.

Fr. Spaniel,
I went out with the oldest son Sat. Afternoon, roads were fine, but LOTS of Slush
off road. 4x4 is best. put this here just in case you didn't go yesterday & go out Sunday.
BTW, when we got there at 4:30-5 PM there were only 3 other vehicles on the whole lake!!
wink.gif

MnSportsman, I saw you last night when I was coming back from Farib. I was on the lake from noon to 3pm and I got skunked, but I knew it, that wasn't the good fishing time. There were plenty of people all over the lake, mainly I think enjoying the nice day, like I did.

We didn't get out in the morning. We were one of the three vehicals on the lake looking for the evening bite. We stayed from 4 to 7. We got two bites and my wife caught one small crappie.
However the kids didn't care because it was nice, they got to cook and eat out on the lake. My 2nd grader made ice forts and my 4th grader got to cook.