• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Back from east end / and animal question

Just got back from the east end. Fished the north side of frazier bay and north of the chain islands. Only 3 small walleyes over 3 days....BRUTAL! No smallies either.

Fished the north side of frazier bay towards the SW tip of gold island and west towards the first buoy there. And then the areas just north of the chain islands towards hinsdale.

Just nothing to speak of...just the 3 over 3 days. Fished from 30' to 20' during the days and 6' to 20' in the evenings.

What luck was everyone having? What was I doing wrong? was using jigs and leeches with slip bobbers... and lindys with floating jigheads and leeches.

Also...here's an interesting story... Middle of the night and some "animal" splashes coming out of the water on te island where we were caming and starts snorting pretty loudly. Sounded like a wild hog. :-)

Any ideas what that could have been? Didnt hear the animal run into the woods or back into the water... Just disappeared....after it scared the two of us to death. :-)

I would guess that the animal that you heard was probably a bear that swam over to the island. Could have possibly been a deer also but I doubt it, mainly because you said it grunted like a pig which is what a bear does quite often.

Fishing was fairly good for me on the 2nd and 3rd, did not go out during the 4th weekend. There were 3 massive mayfly hatches,one each night, starting on the night of the 3rd in Big Bay!

Cliff

I would guess it was a bear also...they can make that grunt noise quite often.

I was fishing Niles, Dayton Pt., near Knott's Island...had pretty good catching with a lindy rig, chartreuse hook, and a leech...as shallow as 12 FOW...as deep as 24 FOW. Evening bite started after 7:30...my son is still up at the lake...best bite was from 8:15 to 10:00 pm tonight...I am back home and jealous.

I had decent luck fishing the evenings of July 2, 3, and 4. I caught 15 walleyes and lost 3 others trying to net them by myself. Caught two on leech/jig and the rest on a jig with half a night crawler. Fishing in 25 FOW and caught all fish right at the bottom.

I haven't had much success with leeches at all, on the east end of the lake. I have been using nothing but crawlers, since early June. I really can't understand why you couldn't catch any smallies, I have been pounding them all over the east end. Averaging about 40 fish a day since mid June. The bug hatches make for some terrific topwater action, especially in the early morning and evening.

"Ace"

Hey Ace, hows it going...been a couple years I think. :-)

Yeah, 2 of us were throwing inline spinners and small spinnerbaits...mixing in a suspending minnow bait here and there...and didnt see a smallmouth. It was weeeeeeird.

I am now itching extremely bad to get back up there and get this figured out....probably August.

When would you suggest a better time from walleyes? Mid-August or Mid-September?

mid september for the smallies and the walleyes combo for sure.. the big smallies make a strong showing grin