• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rainy lake chip with lake contours?

what is the best chip to get for the lake? ive heard how some the contours are off greatly.

I used the Lakemaster Lake of the Woods/Rainy Lake chip these past two years on Rainy. I've fished the North Arm the past 3 years. I thought the chip was pretty good with the lake contours. Three years ago I used the Navionics Lake of the Woods + 2K chip. The Rainy map on that chip is not nearly as detailed as the Lakemaster chip. However, I do believe Navionics has updated their Rainy data.

Like2Fish

I have the Navionics 09 chip. It's good in some areas and not so good in others but I have not been over the whole lake. I have also not used the Lakemaster chip as a comparison but am considering buying one.

These maps are only as good as the amount of data gathered, and how it's gathered, and how it’s interpreted. I'm a surveyor by trade and make maps - above water though.

I just purchased the Lakemaster LOL/Rainy 09 chip and used it this week on rainy. I was very happy with it, great detail and pretty accurate. there will always be a little error in these maps but overall i thought the detail was good and the display contrast was easy to look at.

I love my Lakemaster Rainy chip. 1ft contours and it seems to be fairly accurate.

I used it on the Rainy River last spring sturgeon fishing and it was spot on.

Too bad they only work on Lowrance products. I compare them to Apple computers, great but just missed the big picture.

HTB

Are the Garmin chips not as accurate? I was on the website listed above and found the chip for the garmin gps units. I have the Garmin 60CSx and was hoping to purchase this chip for our trip up there in late august. Anybody use these for garmin and how are they? I have the hand held unit. Assuming it will work just as good. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Grizzly

Grizzly,

I use the lakemaster chip with my Garmin GPSMap 478 and it's very accurate, I don't know how I ever fished without it. :-)

I have even used it travel to places I would never go with a paper map. All the rocks seems to be marked, I fish Northwest bay and the North Arm.

i left the landing without it the other day and drove back 4 miles to get it and 4 miles back...its like ice fishing without a graph...ive only been on the lake for a year and a half, i just feel better knowing that im not flying blind...the price of the chip is cheaper than the crate they send your shiny new lower unit in...good choice griz.

Thanks Z85. Any little excuse to buy something for fishin is all I need. Doesn't even have to be a fishin reason. LOL. Plan on making a lot more trips up that way in the future so there is no better time than now. I hear about forgetting stuff and going back. I would drive a long ways back for my vex in the winter or just not fish. O.K. I would fish but it just wouldn't be the same. Darn technology!!! LOL Good luck fish and hope its more catchin than fishin!

Grizzly

Are the Garmin chips not as accurate?

They are the same maps. LakeMaster does the mapping. Lowrance and Garmin pay LakeMaster so they can put the LakeMaster data on cards that work in their GPS units. Same data just different cards.

thanks for the post guys, i just got the lakemaster woods/rainy chip. hope its works as good as it looks, cant wait to use it sunday.