• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just recently purchased a boat and started fishing a couple of lakes in the Mankato area. I was wondering if anybody had some advice for how to fish Madison Lake. I pulled in a nice walleye off of a rattle trap but noticed that I was the only one casting. What is the most efficient way to fish Madison Lake? I'm not looking for honey holes just some advice.

For walleye and bass action right now out there, throwing a rattle trap is really a good option.

If you want some more variety, especially some crappies, throw on a #4 Salmo Hornet and troll around in 7-10'.

I just recently purchased a boat and started fishing a couple of lakes in the Mankato area. I was wondering if anybody had some advice for how to fish Madison Lake. I pulled in a nice walleye off of a rattle trap but noticed that I was the only one casting. What is the most efficient way to fish Madison Lake? I'm not looking for honey holes just some advice.

I've been fishing around here since 2000 and casting Rat-L-Traps is definitely part of the arsenal on Madison Lake. When you're feeling alone doing something like that and pulling in nice fish, stick with it.

In Southern MN cast for Walleye as if you were fishing for Bass. Many Bass lures and presentations work well on Southern Eyes. Rattle Traps are a good start.

Think outside of the box and do not limit yourself to traditional Northern Walleye techniques. On any given day you never know what will work around here. So feel free to experiment.

I was wondering if anybody had some advice for how to fish Madison Lake. I pulled in a nice walleye off of a rattle trap but noticed that I was the only one casting.

There are a lot of "monkey see monkey do" people out there, don't be afraid to try other tactics, and there usually isn't a need to fish in the big groups on madison to catch fish.

Is jiggin with minnows a good way to go for days that may look like a good drifting day?

Yes,dragging a jig,drifting will catch a lot of nice crappies,maybe a bonus eye.But mostly it will help find good locations.I like using fatheads for this.Bigger crappies usually.Good luck!

Yes,dragging a jig,drifting will catch a lot of nice crappies,maybe a bonus eye.But mostly it will help find good locations.I like using fatheads for this.Bigger crappies usually.Good luck!

Also a good tactic for sheephead around here.

Trolled the green hornet around last nite,no sheepies,2 short eyes,1 20" eye,1 bull-head,1 5lb carp!Crank bait hooked in the mouth!Thats a new one for me.Saw a sunny caught on a crank also.

Strange,full moon effect maybe!4 days late.

Blind squirrel, is it just madison and walleye your interested in? I've been fishing on george quite a bit lately and doing well...no walters in there for you though.

No Madison is not the only lake I am interested in. I figured Madison is a good week night lake because it is close to Kato. My fiance and I are looking to try any lake, it is her life long goal to catch a walleye so I am trying to get her one right away. On another note I was out last night and the water was too choppy on the south end to troll so my buddy and I went to work on the pan fish and have a freezer full of fillets now.