• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fished Mazaska yesterday(7,Feb), from 11AM-2PM.(Snowstorm..barometer around 30.00/falling,wind NNE to ENE swinging E. Tried 28-30 ft for 1 hour or so..no bites. Moved towards shore (shallower water) Found fish in 23' Top to bottom. Took 14 decent crappies in an hour. Missed some because they were biting so fast. They were hitting the glow/orange teardrop w/minnow as it dropped too. Had a break in-between with a 2# N'Pike. Packed it in & went home because of the snow blowing . Got tired of cleaning out the holes.Lake road was getting covered up & had 35 miles to drive home. [Valv, saw where ya moved your shack to. I should have called ya, or came by,but was concerned for the trip back, & didn't want to tarry.I fished towards shore from your old spot..]There were others there nearby & they limited out from 9-1:30. in deeper water. This area is on the NNE end of the lake. long drive across, but could be worth it. I'll be going back! Good Luck!
"See ya on the Ice!" wink.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

Any word on the walleye bite down there? Maybe I should ask if there is a walleye bite anywhere down around Fairbault...By your posts I see you spend a fair amount of time down in the area. Thanks ahead of time for any and all info...

Thnx for askin'...
I don't chase Wallys myself. If I do, it's usually on the Ol'Miss. There's a few to be had around the Faribault lakes, You just have to work at it. I was catching all kinds of "stockers" last year on Shields, & threw them all back to give them time to grow. They're out there, Just gotta work at it. Can't give ya any specific info myself. I chase LM Bass, Pike, & panfish mostly when on the lakes. Wallys,Smallies/Rocks,pike & cats when I river fish. Sorry I can't say more. When they do come in here, they're some who'll help ya more on the Walleyes. Dennis in particular, & Valv. they're right in the area & get all the "skinny" on "who flung dung!"
Good Luck tho'!
wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Goosh MnSportsman, now I am getting embarassed...I am just a rookie.
I haven't had very much luck with walleyes on ice (I would really like to get some too..). 3 weeks ago I got some on lake Volney, one in Mazaska and looks like they are ok on Elysian.
The ones I caught were around 2# and all of them came after a shiner (not too big).
Time of day early morning and late afternoon.
Going back to Mazaska status, roads are ok half the way, thanks to a VERY nice person that plowed the way (bless his hart), the rest of it you have to have 4wd and keep it into it, snow is very packed and hard, bring the shovel just in case.
I will be on Cedar (New Prague) sunday and I will post results later.
Have a good weekend.

mn sportsman, I have heard good things about the bite on manaska. I plan on going from Roch on Saturday.

frown.gif I am laid up from an infection in my knee, and am still hobbling around, They drew fluid off my knee on tuesday[Hurt like H*** & still does], so I don't know if I'll be out this wknd. I hope so,I'm tired of this sitting around.But if I do go out. I plan on hitting Orchard for crappies, Possibly Union lake for it's MnDNR "liberalized"fishing( good till the 18th as of now)& then Mazaska or Shields.
<maybe I'm dreaming about doing this, the way my leg feels, but Dreamin'don't hurt! wink.gif .
Hope ta see ya out there! wink.gif
"Wishin I was Fishin'! wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

MnSportsman, I wish you to get well soon.
On the other side,with you out of commission I finally can catch some fish... wink.gif (just kidding).
I moved my house on the old spot (where we met) and it is doing much better. Only draw back two @$$holes moved their house 12' from mine, now I can barely park my truck (I hate when people does that).
Crappies are still good, caught some between 12" and 14" last sunday, 11:00am, orange glow teardrop (Ken's Lures, recommended highly by MnSportsman).
Tried Cedar in New Prague last saturday....big disappointment, few fish and very tiny creatures stealing bait....

Valv,
Glad to hear you're having good luck! smile.gif I was(see original post) shallower & due east of where we were before that day(within 30 yds). So it sounds as tho'you're on them. If I can, I'll sneak out of here on Sat,or Sun come see ya!
As far as the 2 &**%^% guys that are close to ya. If the name on the Trailer/shack is Brett E. from Byron,Mn., you let me know & I'll call em up & give them H***! My buddy Jimbo M.(using the above trailer/shack) was out there last week when I was, & they may have moved over to near where I was fishing that day. They're real good fellas, but in their overexuberance to get "on the fish", the may have "encroached" on ya! If it's them, I'll "bust their chops" for ya! wink.gif [politely tho', they really are good guys! wink.gif] If you see them out there & they are the ones I've mentioned, say "Hiya!" to them & tell them you know me,[ J.B.] & I'm sure you'll get along. If not, well you give them a little H*** anyway! wink.gif You could ask them "Can I come fish in your shack? You're just about fishing in mine." LOL or something to that effect.. HAHAHA I wish I was out there when they moved in... I would have joked with em, just to embarrass ém. "Nuff said.
You take care & leave some of those "big-uns" for me ,OK? Hoping to see ya soon. Post your report!I'll be lookin forward to it! wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Does one of them have an old Winnebago trailer fixed for ice fishing ?
The other one is almost new with lift wheels (nice one).
I'll be there Sat and Sunday, we'll chat.
You take care, don't be in a hurry to get out, it can get worse.

Val

I don't know the brand of trailer, but sounds like them. They were back towards the plowed road from your old spot when I was there last. It has old plywood/paneling strips around the bottom for insulation, * the name is on it(door side I think. & i think vertically striped curtains.Anyway, as I said. If ya see them, mention my name(initials) to them & They'll laff & say they know me.I've hunted & fished with those guys for about 14 years,off & on. I can sure tell ya some stories about those good ol'boys..LOL wink.gif
I'll take it easy, but man, I sure would like ta get out n about!
Maybe see ya !Now go catch some more fish!
wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

BTW Valv,
How are the iceroads? They've got me on crutches,don't want to get stuck regardless. But, I wouldn't especially want to get stuck with/on crutches. frown.gif

Ok, Mazaska lake has still good crappies.
We caught some 11" and up on the weekend, some pike also, between 26" and 36".
Best time of day moved to afternoon early eve until 6:30pm.
Shields lake carries nice crappies, some good ones comes from north side at 18".
Walleye are very tough, I haven't met anybody who got some around these lakes.
MnSportsman, roads are ok on Mazaska and Shields, the one that gets to my shack is a double lane highway (we should put speed limits now... smile.gif ) I can drive with a car.
The rest of the lake has hard snow, it's ok with 4x4, but be careful.
Have a good day !!!!!

Glad to hear you are doing well with the fishin' Val! smile.gif
Couldn't get around good enuff'on Sat. or Sun. to go out. The Knee is starting to feel better, so I hope to get out late in the week! wink.gif
Thanx for the report, on the fishin'& the roads. See ya out there!
wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Valv....I made the trip down to Mazaka today from the Cities. I see what you mean with the to houses next to yours. Or should I say on top of yours. Was really hoping to meet you and talk about Mazaka and Shields. Went to the group of houses just N. of the access and popped a hole. Was in 23' and 30 mins. later had 4 crappies through the ice. Best success I've had all year. Gold pounder and orange/yellow/white moon glo with a Power Bait waxie. Thanks for all the info you give here, the amatuers(?) like me need all the guidence we can get.

Valv, I forgot to ask...
Was it the fellas I mentioned?? I'm planning on goin'out Mazaska way on Thursday. If it is, let me know before then. I've got to stop in their backyard tomorrow & I'll have a little "mention"to em , if they've sat "in your lap!". wink.gif
Let me know!
thnx ,
wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

MnSportsman, yes it is the people from Byron, but don't worry we already made friends, I saw them monday and chatted a little, that trailer is nice inside, lots of room, besides my daughter was showing her catch (which, by the way, was the only good one of the evening) blush.gif
I'll be there probably tomorrow early eve also, maybe we'll meet.

Seeya.

Tigger101754, don't even mention the "amateur". I started fishing last spring for the first time, I do it a lot, but I am more "amateur" than you probably.
I am glad you caught some nice fish, disappointed we missed each other.
Maybe this weekend.

DLR, do you mean Ben in Lonsdale, I know him well too, him and Zeke (in Montgomery) are good fishing buddies. I'll mention you next time I'll see him.
Regarding Shields, I think it's me, but I never had much luck on that lake, but me being a rookie....that explains a lot grin.gif

Val
Val

VALV: WHEN I LIVED IN YOUR TOWN, I FISHED SHEILDS ALOT AND HAVE CAUGHT SOME VERY NICE EYES OFF OF THE ROCK BAR. WHATS' HAPPENED TO THE LAKE? I TAUGHT MY KIDS HOW TO FISH ON THAT LAKE. IF YOU RUN INTO THE GUY WHO RUNS THE LUMBERYARD IN YOUR TOWN AN OLD NEIGHBOR WHO LIVES IN THE NORTH SAYS HELLO! HE USED TO FIS QUITE A BIT. ARE THERE STILL CRAPPIES IN SHEILDS? MY KIDS USED TO HAVE A BLAST FISHING CRAPPIES IN THE BAY OUT FROM THE PUBLIC LANDING AND BY THE REED ISLAND OUT FROM THE LANDING AT THE CAMPGROUND.

Great day yesterday on Mazaska. I was there at 3:00pm and had no fish even showing until 5:00pm, then something big, really big got my line and snapped it after a fight (could have been a big pike, but the way it took the minnow I was thinking walleye or else), I couldn't even make it coming to me (maybe I hooked a carp). After that I caught at least half a dozen of 10+ inch crappiee, 2 13" and one over 14". That was the best day I had on the lake all winter ( I usually don't keep less than 10"). At 8:00pm it was over, there was fish but didn't want to bite.

Keep on trying guys, season is not over yet, just remember to remove houses by next wednesday.

Awwwww, Valv, Man ya didn't have ta go & tell me that! frown.gif ..... wink.gif
Man, I wanted ta go yesterday at that time & could'nt do it, bein sore & all!
& here ya gotta make me know I missed a good bite!
[ I just knew they'd be bitin... wink.gif]
See ya out there!

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

VALV: YES I MEAN BEN S. HE'S ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE FISH HAVE GROWN UP A LITTLE SINCE I MOVED AWAY. DOES FRENCH GET FISHED AT ALL? THERE USED TO BE SOME DECENT SUNNIES IN THERE.THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

To the few of you that might want to get on Mazaska, beware, snow is very packed and hard plus it has a good 4"/6" of slush and water beneath it.
Drifts are very tall, so bring chains, shovels and be careful driving around when there's nobody around to help you in case you get stuck, always bring a friend.
There is still few houses on the lake (including mine rolleyes.gif ).

Dakota Cowboy, it is tough I got my house out to the landing, strapped on the trailer, everybody in the truck.....here comes the snowplow, a BIG '60ies Dodge PowerWagon with a BIG plow. Now I think it will be easier to get to the north end. No the white Chevy pickup was somebody with a break down, since I saw it being towed by another truck tonight, I have a Dodge, I don't get stuck grin.gif ........ (my wife is laughing in the back).
James-W,bite on Mazaska is north center and north west, approx 24' and less, time of day from 3:30pm to 8:00pm approx.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 02-27-2001).]

Thanks, Valv. I'll have to give it another try. Been a "dry spell" for me lately, would feel good to hook up with a couple of the 10+ crappies. Maybe when my little Montero grows up it'll be a Dodge, too.

I tried getting on Mazaska on Sunday. My 4X4 was getting bogged down only about 1/4 mile or so from the access, so I backed out and drilled a couple empty holes on Shields. Was that you in the white pick-up in the NE corner?

Hey Dakota C. , now Chrysler owns Mitsubishi also, anyway I'll be glad to give you my payments on my Dodge and take your Montero alrady paid....you know what I mean wink.gif
Try where I had my house, I had really good luck and I will continue there next weekend.
If you see a green Dodge Ram with topper...that's me, stop and say hi.

Val

Unless I get there first Valv! wink.gif
(Red/silver Ford 4x4, with white toolbox.)
& I carry all the stuff ta yank ya out if ya get stuck.. LOL wink.gif
See ya out there!
PS....My tip o the day>>> Go a little shallower..
try a GLow/orange/blue or glow/orange/speckled #8 hook..
Works for me! wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Hey MnSportsman, I don't want to talk to you anymore... wink.gif Do you remember what we passed around, then you said you had a cold.....well guess what, I've got the whole family down....and I thought alcohol kills germs grin.gif
Anyway I saw you moved the houses, well last night I came back from getting my boat in Austin and saw the guy with the nice house pulling it with a plow truck in front of it. We just couldn't wait that long...

Val

Valv,
I thought I warned ya "before" I took slash of that "honey-dew vine water"....
Worked for me... Killed what ailed me..
Very sad tho'to hear that you're all not feeling well. Blackberry brandy is the ticket. Young or old. Teaspoon every 4 hours for the young, a healthy slash for the old.

Take a couple of waxies & call me in the morning, eh? wink.gif I really hope you all recover soon! smile.gif

I didn't go out yesterday, so you must have seen Jimbo, his truck resembles mine very closly, but he has a topper on his truck.
glad to hear they got it out.
Planning on getting out over the next few days, But,I'll be looking for ya! Hope all are better soon!
smile.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)