• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upcoming DNR Lake Surveys

To anglers,

The DNR will be conducting lake surveys on the following lakes (dates) during July and August:

Beebe (Wright): 7/6 - 7/9

Maple (Wright): 7/20 - 7/24

Birch (Wright): 7/27 - 7/30

Clear (Sherburne): 7/7 - 7/10

Julia (Sherburne): 8/10 - 8/12

Rush (Sherburne): 8/12 - 8/14

Briggs(Sherburne): 8/17 - 8/21

Please, if you see flags which mark our net sets please give them space so they can fish properly as well as to not catch them in your prop or fishing gear.

I will post quick summaries on our area website within a couple of days after the survey is completed at: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/montrose/index.html

Thanks for your cooperation.

War Eagle!!!

Sounds great then we will know if there really are fish the area lakes, yet!

Are you guys doing any electrofishing, or just nets? I've been pretty curious about the bass populations in a couple of the lakes you just listed

I saw some of the nets on Bebee. Was not sure what they were until I saw this posting.

Also Beebe is very green and a little stinky. Was out on Monday and only got a few bites.

Wareagle, do you know anything about Winsted Lake in Mcleod County, I see there are nets marked out there.

Thanks for the info! When I look at all these surveys, I'm always amazed at how many lakes have 28"+ eyes that you never hear about anyone going after.

Huh, I guess I just I broke 1000 posts. My boss would kill me if he realized how much time I spent on here

LPFisherman,

The Hutchinson office is in charge of that county. I don't think they post their results like we do so you might have to call them to get the results. There number is 320-234-2550.

and you said you spent half your time helpin the crew!!!! laughlaughlaughwhistle

zing!

half helping them, half on fm laugh

mrklean,

We actively manage about 150 lakes in our area that have publc access so we tend to get to our lakes about once every 7-10 years. If there is some type of public concern or if there is a special regulation on the lake then we may sample them more frequently. Lakes that do not have public access or limited public access tend to get sampled less frequently (every 20-25 years). We usually get to about 15 - 20 lakes each field season. Hopefully, this answers your question.

War Eagle!!!

If people sign as volunteers, could you use the help,to get more done during the open water seasons? I'm sure your staff is rather thin.

jigginjim,

I truly appreciate the offer to help get more done, but the fact of the matter is that we would end up being pressed for time to get any more reports written up by our March, St Paul deadline. Not to mention, for each survey it takes about 2-3 weeks to analyze the data, make the maps and tables, and then write/review/edit the report.

As for volunteering, I enjoy taking volunteers out on our surveys. This gives people an idea as to what goes into a lake survey. If anyone is interested in volunteering feel free to contact our Montrose Fisheries Office and we will try to accomodate you the best we can.

War Eagle!!!

Joe

Sounds great I would sure like to join you on the surveys. I also think if possible people could also help with trails and accesses. If I knew someone with a loader and a back-hoe would be nice to help fix some of the ramps.

Jiggin,

Feel free to give our office a call if you want to volunteer. As for the boat ramps, we are not in charge of that Trails and Waterways out of Sauk Rapids is in charge of those.

War Eagle!!!

• 5 months later...

War Eagle, would you have any information about Sylvan Lake in Hassen Township (between Rogers & St. Michael)? There is a lot of rumors going around about this lake, and it would be nice to hear the truth. Either way, I will be attempting to fish it this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Two years ago the folks from the Hinckley fisheries office surveyed the lake I have a cabin on. I talked to them a couple of times as they were loading up at the access in the evenings. They were very helpful answering questions and explaining how the system worked. They spent a lot of time on the water during that week.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a public access to Sylvan or a spot to park? I just moved a few miles from the lake and have seen a few people fishing it but haven't heard anything about it. Any info would be helpful. You could send me a PM if you don't want to post here.

Cads,

Sorry, I didn't see your message until today.

Sylvan lake looks to be in the Crow-Hassan County Park and there appears to be a possible road right of way access off of Sylvan Lake Road. It has a max depth of 10 ft and appears to be full of vegetation. Unfortunately, that is about all I could find out about the lake.

The lake is in Hennipen County and is out of my area (Wright, Stearns, and Sherburne Counties). You could call the West Metro Office since it is their area. The number is 952-826-6771. Hopefully, they can help you out.

War Eagle!!!

War,

Are you part of the group that is doing surveys on some of those lakes listed above this winter? The last two weekends we were on one of the lakes listed at the beginning of this thread and they measured the pike everyone on the lake was catching and asked us to rate the fishing. Sorry I don't want to list the lake in the open forum.....the guy next to us last night landed one of those 28" eyes mentioned above and it's still swimming in the lake. He forgot his camera so I took some pics for him and will be sending them to him this week. Beautiful fish! The girth was 13 inches plus at it's largest point. She was plum full of eggs.

It looked like the DNR was only concerned with pike size and weight in this lake.

Beast,

Yep, glad to here that someone is catching some of those fish. We are doing a creel survey out on that lake and are interested in fishing pressure, harvest and what anglers think about the overall fishery.

We are actually interested in catch and harvest of all species, and actually more interested in what people think about the walleye fishery. If you don't want to post the picture here could you send it to me? I'm sure my boss would like to see it. Click on my name at the Montrose Area DNR website I'm the only Joe listed.

Thanks,

War Eagle!!!

War,

I will forward it to you when I get it uploaded from my camera so I can send it to the guy that caught it. Please don't post it on the board (which I don't believe you would). It was caught by one of the locals. I hope one day I catch that fish! The fish was in great shape - fat with eggs, no age markings on the skin etc.

The creel survey guy also checked him so whomever is doing the survey probably got the measurements on the fish.