• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lakers from kayak/canoe around Lutsen or Tofte?

Hey,

A buddy of mine and I are talking a little bit about trying to learn about Lake Trout fishing. We've had all sorts of good and bad luck in some of the smaller lakes up around Lutsen area for walleyes, pike, perch etc etc... but, we're interested in trout.

Any suggestions on where to start? We have kayaks (mine has foot pedal drive for trolling - which is pretty sweet - can beat your electric motor any day) or a canoe available to us (so no "normal" downrigging methods... I have snap weights and could go get some bigger weights for them if need be). Not looking for your secret spots, just some general tips on which lakes etc and any thoughts about how to rig up.

We're not opposed to driving a bit to get to the "right" lake, but we are somewhat limited to smaller lakes if we're fishing by kayak. I'm not afraid of bigger water (had my 'yak in superior a few times) but it is generally more fun on smaller water.

We're based out of Lutsen - FYI.

Joe

Just got back from your neck of the woods on Thursday. Staying with a friend in Lutsen I made a trek up to Loon Lake of the Gunflint. I too was interested in some small lake laker action. I was told Loon Lake just south of Gunflint Lake was doing pretty good. I fished it last Tuesday for about two hours slowly trolling, the weather was terrible and it was to the point to where I was more worried about my hands staying warm then a fish biting. It is a medium sized lake but fairly protected as it is more long than it is "big". The lodge owner said anything silver was working in 20-40 ft. The water temp was still only 59 so I think you might have some luck without having to go too deep.

Give it a go on superior! I fish it out of a canoe in june when the mornings are come. I only go out about 100 yards (200 max). I'm only rigged with a paddle and small electric motor too, so you wouldn't have a problem. Lutsen and Tofte would be a good area to give it a try...you'd want to concentrate on the mouths of cascade, poplar, and temperance rivers (among other smaller streams). I've used anything from spoons, spinners, cranks, and jointed rapalas. Have always done best when the lake looks like glass, any ripples and I head for shore! You'll catch lakers and coho's mostly, but possibly chinooks and steelhead as well. Obviously you have to play it safe on the big pond though, but give her some respect and you'll be rewarded.

Thanks JBMA-

Superior might be a good plan too. I've kayaked in the big lake 2 times and it was pretty calm (a few "normal" sized waves). I'm ok in the waves but its not nearly as fun to fish when you're bobbing around like a cork.

laugh

Just need some kind of backup plan if its windy etc.