• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone know if there has been a hatch yet on deer. I think it was this time last year that the mayflies were all over the place. They were huge! Thanks in advance for any info.

A couple of weeks ago there was a hatch, but not a big hatch. This past Friday night the pain in the butt was these little moth looking things. Suprisingly the skeeters weren't too bad, considering we didn't have any bug spray. crazy

Brian

goldy5

There are usually 2 hatches on Deer. First will be the small and the second hatch will be the large size. I have had a few of the large size on my place between Deer and Moose so I would think that the hatch is done. If you find that there is a hatch going on you can still fish the east half of the lake cause the hatch happens in the deep water west of Bear Island. I hope to get out there this weekend and poke around and I will report what I find. I know that the last time I was out the smallies were still on there beds so the lake is a little behind schedule.

jim, how are the other bugs up there, sqeetere deer/horse flies and those ankle biters?

thanks for the great updates! the water temp must still be in the mid sixties. I wonder if the big females are resting in the deep water?

Check out the Deer Lake report thread for my reports, if you haven't already.

Brian

jim, how are the other bugs up there, sqeetere deer/horse flies and those ankle biters?

I was wearing shorts while I was painting and the skeets were not that bad during the day and would be around at sunrise and sunset but not as bad as a month ago but the horsefly's were bugging me but not bad enough to put on bug juice.