• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wife and I are going camping next week, we usually camp on Islands and she's not about to change her mind. Most of the sites we've stayed at in the past won't work any more. She uses a walker most of the time or a cane for balance. Anyone know of a good Island site? needs to be level and gradual slope to tent area. I saw a nice handicapped site on Namakan a few years ago but don't know if I could find it again. Would like Ely area or Crane-Kab area.

Thanks

WD,

The handicapped site is still available on Namakan. It is on the way up towards kettle Falls, just before Mica island. I would guess it is 8-9 miles from the Ash river access. You can contact the Park Service and reserve this site. It has a nice dock that can accomodate a wheelchair. It is site N41 on the park map. Pull up nps dot gov and find Voyageurs for all the numbers and maps to look at. Have a good stay wherever you go. I'll be up on Nam for a week starting next weekend.

Xplorer,

Thanks, I didn't know you could reserve these sites, hopefully it's still open.

Im not 100% sure but I think you can only reserve the handicapped spot.

Yup, the handicapped site on Nam and the Large group site on the north shore of Kab are the only ones that can be reserved.

Xplorer,

Called today and was able to reserve the site for July 21-24, also 4 days in August. Thanks again, wife is thrilled to be able to get out again.

WD,

Great to hear that it was open! I've only stopped in the site once for lunch 7 years ago, i remember it was nice and flat tho with a good sized dock. The end of theh dock had about an 8'x8' platform with railings if I recall. Also, that site is only about a 4-5 mile easy ride to Kettle Falls. They will call a golf cart for a ride if you want to go up to the hotel/bar.

I will be camping with the family up on the islands somewhere on Nam from this sunday to the 18th, so I'll be able to give you the 411 on what the fish are doing. Eye's will be heading toward/on the reefs, smallies shallower on the rocky windblown shorelines.