• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just got home from Ash Lake

I spent six days at Ash lake this week. Tons of smallmouth in this lake and some decent northerns. First day fishing was very good. I caught lots of smallies on orange crankbaits. Most of them were 14-16 inches, but got one 18. No pic of the 18, because I was alone and wanted to get it back in the water. After the first day the lake turned over and fishing slowed way down. Still caught some fish. Northern were between 20 and 28 inches and nice and fat. I did get one northern 33 inches which is my best. I know it's not that big but I'm from indy and only get up there about twice every three years. Last couple of days I used a green pumpkin finesse worm for the smallies and it was a blast.

I'm going to Park Rapids tomorrow with a friend, so I'll post a pic of the northern when I get back.

Joe the Millwright

Theres plenty of lakes in the area where you can catch 18+" bass all day long

I'm sure there are. That's where I was renting my cabin and boat. Just trying to give a report.

Joe,

Thanks for the report,I need to get over to the Park Rapids area sometime now that I have moved and live near Cloquet MN...I use to go to Park Rapids and Bemidji a lot when we lived in Fargo...Hope to see the pic you post of that northern.

Frank,

Glad to hear that you have moved a lot closer to "God's country"!

Cliff

Cliff,

Thanks,I hope living only 70-75 miles from Lake Vermilion will mean more fishing time there...Many other lakes around this area I plan on hitting too.I have already had the good fortune of seeing some neat things since I moved here last month,one thing was a very large black bear running across highway 2, not more then 50 yards in front of me the other day,that animal was really moving!

Minnesota is what America was!!You guys are blessed we all are living in this great country ,but im still envious of you all when i think of i think of those beautiful big woods and the big v !!

Congrats on the move Frank, hope we can still count on you for those spot on forecasts..... Stop in sometime when you get up here.

I spent six days at Ash lake this week. Tons of smallmouth in this lake and some decent northerns. First day fishing was very good. I caught lots of smallies on orange crankbaits. Most of them were 14-16 inches, but got one 18. No pic of the 18, because I was alone and wanted to get it back in the water. After the first day the lake turned over and fishing slowed way down. Still caught some fish. Northern were between 20 and 28 inches and nice and fat. I did get one northern 33 inches which is my best. I know it's not that big but I'm from indy and only get up there about twice every three years. Last couple of days I used a green pumpkin finesse worm for the smallies and it was a blast.

I'm going to Park Rapids tomorrow with a friend, so I'll post a pic of the northern when I get

back.

Joe the Millwright

Great Report, Thanks for taking the time!!!

Shamrock,

Thanks and yes I will still be giving forecast updates for the area...One concern right now is the area where I'm at around Cloquet,Duluth and Superior WI,as well as a few other areas near by are getting low on soil moisture, and this has been an on going thing now for a while...yes I will stop in the next time I'M up in Tower.

Joe,

Thanks for the report! Frank please stop in the store when you are up in Tower, I'm a wanna be weather geek! Not only that I've become a farmer since I got the store...I worry about the weather all the time as it seems a lot of people don't want to drive on slush in the winter, don't want to fish in the rain and gale force winds which does seem to affect the bait sales!

Dave,

I too love talking WX,I plan on getting up to tower for some open water there,I hope with in the next few weeks.I will stop in and chat with you for a while....I almost forgot,I have never fished Vermilion in the summer,will have to get that done this summer for sure!