• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

stunted in Sylvia

Had our weekly fishing league last night and we hit sylvia. 11 boats 22 guys. My partner and I fished jigs deep for the whole 3 hours and between us I spose we boated around 20 or so fish out of about 13-18 fow (deep grass). In our league a weighable bass must measure 12 inches. We were able to keep two 12's and a 13.5 incher. We come to find out at the weigh in that EVERYBODY strugled even this other league that was there from the big lake area. We won with 2 lbs 15 oz on 3 fish. No other team in our league was able to bring in three fish over 12 inches... Now, I'm glad we won and all but it's tough to be to proud of that weight. What's the deal with Sylvia and all these runts? I've noticed similar results out there now for the pas 4-5 years or so. The lake is beautiful, has clear water, great structure, deep grass beds... you'd think there'd be higher numebers of larger fish. There is something wrong with the picture and I think it has to do with too high of a small fish population and I think somthing should be done about it. I hope the Sylvia lake association can address this. Maybe they have already I don't know. Just seems weird that in our leagues history (5 years) the best weight any team has pulled out of there is around 6 lbs on 3 fish.

That's been the case out there as long as I can remember...it's a good lake to take the kids to catch a bunch of runts, but you don't go there to catch anything of substance. I think the largest fish I've caught out there was about a 3lb bass, and that was in the winter.

there are a ton of little fish on this lake, but if you can find the big ones, 9 times out of 10, they are schooled up and when you find them, they are monsters. Its a great fishery, and the more and more i fish it, its becomes alot more fun and eventful!

this time of year the big fish move to the deeper middle lake structure. I throw 10" power worms and take lots of fish in the 16-19" range with an occasional 20+.

They aren't everywhere just certain areas with deep sand and weed cover. I also started taking some larger bass with the lead core in the deepest parts of the lake with cranks while fishing for eyes.

the best is yet to come cause the lake is just starting to really stratify with the thermal cline setting up at about 28-29 fow.

My last outing we caught about 20 fish and only a few dinks.

they are there and with time you will find them.

June Bug and red shad seemed to be the best colors.

good luck.

fever, you needed bigger minnows grin Sometimes things bigger bass will be close to large schools of small gills. Just need to find something sunnies hate, yet big bass love. waterdogs?

I hear ya. All our fish even the dinks came from deep water. I'd say anywhere from 13-18 fow or so. I had the best results on a 3/8 oz brown jig with a craw trailer. On most lakes that is a Big fish bait. We did hit a couple mid lake sunken island spots with sand gravel and grass thinking it was most likely a big fish staging area. I spose the more aggressive smaller fish just beat the larger ones to the lure.

Jim, do you have any advice on how to track down a few bass on Pulaski? We may be fishing that lake soon and I haven't been there since last August. Weird, last year I drove up to pre fish and had a lot of success skipping senkos under docks. One day later tried same method in same general area and had NO luck what so ever. Clear water and a lot of recreational pressure seem to slow things down there at times I think.

this time of year the big fish move to the deeper middle lake structure. I throw 10" power worms and take lots of fish in the 16-19" range with an occasional 20+.

They aren't everywhere just certain areas with deep sand and weed cover. I also started taking some larger bass with the lead core in the deepest parts of the lake with cranks while fishing for eyes.

the best is yet to come cause the lake is just starting to really stratify with the thermal cline setting up at about 28-29 fow.

My last outing we caught about 20 fish and only a few dinks.

they are there and with time you will find them.

June Bug and red shad seemed to be the best colors.

good luck.

Great information. I have had alot of good luck fishing 10 worms way out deep myself. Its awesome to get a big old pig on in that deep of water

Hit the Lake on Sunday and spent about 3 hrs fishing bass.

I had only 4 fish over 16" and a few dinks.

fishing was slower than normal but the lake is still cooler than most years down deep. There is a thermalcline at about 30' and most of my go to spots only held a few fish.

also got one 28" and one 30" northern on the down riggers with stick baits over deep structure. one on Sylvia and one on twin.

Pulled leadcore for about 1 hr and got only two small bass.

Hope the lake warms up alittle more.