• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Were making our way to Cass Lake on Saturday and don't have reservations at the resort until Sunday. Does anyone camp on Star Island? I imagine with the 4th of July it must get pretty crazy. Anyone have any experience with camping on Star or any of the other Potato Islands? Thanks guys.

I have camped out on Star Island but not on the 4th of July though. It will draw many boats/people there on Saturday, last year was a good one.

I have no experience on camping out on Potato Islands but check out some areas and see if you can get some space for your tents and etc. Star could be taken over but last year I think I only saw one tent, can't recall on that for sure though. Have fun and be safe!

Gotcha. Thanks Quack, I think were gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna look into the Potato Islands and see if we can find something a bit less occupied. Cheers.

I know there is a campsite on Star island on the east side. The summer times I have been up there (not 4th), the major activity was on the north side (toward wishbone)...and I do mean MAJOR, like 50 boats major. I saw a forest service map once...there is some private areas on star (don't know about cedar or the potato islands, but i've seen at least 1 dock on a potato island) You may be able to find info on that on the chippewa national forest website. good luck.

• 9 years later...

Thought I would bump this one up as I'm trying to find some information about camping on Star Island.  For anyone who is much more familiar with Cass Lake than I am (never been), does anyone know about the "primitive" campsites that apparently are available on the island?  I can't find much info online about them, other than a few references that they exist.

Least year around the fishing opener a buddy and I reserved a campsite on an island on Lake Kabetogama. Campsites included a picnic table, fire pit, tent pads, pit toilet and bear boxes.  Can anyone tell me if the "primitive" campsites on Star Island have the same features?  I know there is a campground on the island, but I'm not looking for a family-friendly camping experience.  Just something were we can pull the boat up to shore, set-up tents and have a place to make a fire.  We'd be going sometime mid to late May.

Any insight is appreciated.

Edited by Getanet

I have built fires on star island to dry off when fishing from my 14' jon boat in 4' waves, many years ago. I intentionally tried to forget that day since we ran out of gas after dark with a south wind but, I remember pulling boat up to shore and there were fire pits and probably picnic tables. We found them on the west side of the island. There were 2-3 that we used for sure. We were very thankful to be able to dry off on what was nearly our last fishing trip... EVER. If the father/son duo staying at cabin on the island, that gave us gas is reading this.... THANKS AGAIN

Why is it that the worst experiences always make the best stories/memories? Thanks for letting me know there are fire pits around the island.