• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fox Lake Anybody?

I've never fished Fox lake and am heading out there this Thursday night with a buddy of mine. Anybody have any tips on this lake or what I might expect to catch? I hear there are some muskie on there, any truth to that?

THanks

There are muskies in there and they reach up to about 54 inches i was told by a local guy on that lake. I went fishing there last friday for the first time and ended up catching my first muskie. It was 36 inches and about 10 1/2 pounds. 3/4's of the boats out there at the time were casting large dare devils along the shoreline.

One thing i found out is under the power lines that run across the middle of the lake it comes up REALLY fast and only about 2-3 feet deep. So just beware of that area. Lots of weeds along the shore line. Fairly clear water. It was tough trolling i seemed to hit the weeds alot with various raps i tossed out. There are some nice crappies, but i wasn't able to figure them out. ALOT of sheephead so its tough to use livebait i thought.

I am looking forward to making another trip over there and try my luck at more muskies.

Are there northerns in that lake also? Mine was actually caught with a plain hook and minnow drifting hoping to hit some crappies that way.

Good luck and have fun!

Muskies are in there.If you want crappies put on a salmo #4 hornet and go at 2.3 mph east of where the power lines go over the lake.Fish right down the middle of the lake.You may also catch a catfish or 2.For walleyes fish the edge of the weeds.

Are there northerns in that lake also?

I was checking the DNR website the other day and their survey didnt show any data on Northern in Fox. I am camping at cedar this weekend and since Fox isnt very far away I thought about heading down for a day. Had my first and so far only follow up on fox and that was about 10000 casts ago so maybe I am due. confused

I do believe that there are some northerns in there. I don't think there are very many. Gotta be really careful if you catch something you think is a pike with all the muskies in there.

i will say this to anyone asking about muskies on fox lake they are there and they are nice fish. i am spoiled to fish it living 4.5 miles from boat landing..lol

I am going to fox lake thursday morning and have never been on this lake befor. me and a friend are going to be looking for walleyes and crappies but are going to try for muskies as well. any pointers on where to search for walleys and muskies would be great. Looking to do alot of trolling crankbaits for eyes. and sense neather one of us have even tryed to fish muskies we planned on bobber fishing with chubs or suckers like we both have done some many times in the past for northerns... Does this way of fishing work for muskies? we both are set up to troll spoons/ daredevils and similar notheren baits,any help would be awesome thanks alot!

be there early in the am not sure where when or how but going to try my luck anyhow

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried fox lately? How are weeds this time of year. I was thinking to trying for muskies. Any help would be appreciated.

The weeds have started to die off. The lake has turned more green with this happening. Not sure on the bite out there but there were a few people out there trying their luck this last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

going to try fox lake on the 22nd plan on using mepps,an topraider top water lures.

i see from the dnr site map there is suppose to be dead tree stumps on the south west side of the lake over by the power plant which should be a good area for muskies to hide out,at least i hope they will be there,an very possible some walleyes as well

You might not be able to get back there with the low water level. It is really shallow even when the waters up.

okay thanks for the heads up,so it could end up being like when i launched my boat at french lake by faribault,me an my buddy had to get out of the boat an push it out into deeper water,since the bottom of the boat was dragging on a sand bar right at the docks

See you on Fox this weekend the TC norf Iowa and I are heading over till Nov 30; see you there, thanks for the post.