• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Top 3 Ely Lakes To Fish

If I only had 3 days to fish Ely, and I want to fish a different lake each day. Which 3 lakes would I want to pick (vermilion not included)? Bass is the primary target.

Shagawa would be one of them for bass, and then you could pick two lakes in the Farm/White Iron Chain for the other two days.

I just got done looking over some area lakes on the lakefinder and farm and white iron definitely look like 2 lakes to pick! However, I am torn between burntside and snowbank. I wouldn't mind spending a little time going after lakers, but which of the 2 has better bass fishing?

I don't know. I don't fish smallies in either Burntside or Snowbank. I only fish them occasionally on Vermilion, which is the king of the smallie lakes within a half hour of my door.

Both have some great smallie populations, but I think you'd have a better chance for a bigger one on Burntside.

If you wanted to try a couple of smaller lakes that may not have much for other fishermen on them Little Long and Low Lake are options.

I have caught some nice smallies (19") on Birch Lake.

Burnside is full of smelt a better food source. Snowbank has a better catch rate IMO.

Better bass fishing for size and numbers would definately be snowbank. I have never done good on lake trout in the summer.

Steve, I don't need you to do everything, just most of everything. laugh

Are lakers even possible in august without downriggers though?

By the way, I just looked up low and little long on the lakefinder and they look very promising. I wonder if they are the lakes that john gillespie fishes every early ice?

Shagawa would be one of them for bass, and then you could pick two lakes in the Farm/White Iron Chain for the other two days.

Hey Mr Foss, I hope all is well. A young man that works with me is going up to Shagawa, for a few days on the 9th of July, he does not fish much,so being a avid walleye guy myself, and always willing to help, I told him I would try to find info on this lake for him. I've never been on Shagawa my self, I would appreciate a few hints so I can point him in the right direction, I did tell him I thought it was a decent smallie lake but didnt know about any other species that call it home. thanks much..... any one else that want to chime in is welcome

Are lakers even possible in august without downriggers though?

Yes. You can vertical jig them or use divers like Dipsies, Jet Divers or Pink Ladies.

Eelpout, I haven't been on Shags this summer at all. Once the season opens I'm all about lakers. But Great Outdoors or Babe's Bait will be able to put a fella on Shag 'eyes when you buy your bait there.

I'll probably go with jigging. I'm guessing they'll be at least 30 to 40 ft down? Shiners, suckers, or chubs?

30-40 FOW should be fine for trout, as the temp last night on Burntside was 51 degrees at 29-31 feet.

Burntside has a massive population of smallies (way more than Snowbank), but many being caught now are not very big.

If and when the water warms up, you can catch many 17 inches and over by trolling a two tone green jig with a green with black flecks double twister tail over any of the reefs.

The bigger ones are on the edge in as much as 30+ FOW.

Mr Foss,Thanks for the reply, I'll pass this on to my coworker. have a great summer fishing all that deep water.

I have had good luck jiggin' for lake trout in the summer with a 3/8 oz. glow jig and 4", Pearl Berkley Gulp Minnow. We were on Lower Manitou for a muskie fishing trip 3 years ago (beginning of August) and would take a break mid day from muskie fishing to go after lake trout. We used the combo I mentioned and caught trout after trout. Lake trout for supper every night grin.

Little Long is a blast for bass fishing. As simple as a leach on a slip bobber and your catching them all day. All sizes of bass in there.

Did the whole perimeter but only one little one last week. Did a lot of casting towards shore, thought there would be a few in the weed bay, but no luck. There were an awful lot of mayflys hatched in the Ely area then too, so don't know if that hurt us...did not try leeches.

Darn those NW winds & drizzle all week too!!

Hope to try little one more time this year.

JB, White Iron and Farm were awful big waters to explore for me, went there first time mid-June. Did find some structure about 20FOW on the back side of an island on White where we marked some suspended fish, but they didn't want to take the bait. There was a point where there were four other boats, but didn't see them hauling anything in, and didn't want to intrude. Caught one little slimer on Farm trolling sticks.