• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A friend and I hit Deer Lake this evening for some smallies. We were suprised when we started catching walleyes in 5 feet of water. At dark we did some slip bobber fishing with leeches on a hump and I caught my personal best walleye.....29.25" and 7.10 lbs. CPR'd!

dsc01090p.jpg

Brian

Brian,

That's a great looking eye... It looks much better on the computer then it did on my old Nokia phone. Keep up the great work we'll have to get together soon.

bmc.....

Congrats on the personal best! Too bad it wasn't caught during the fall or winter, she'd for sure have a couple more pounds on her. But a 29" walleye is a 29" walleye, nice work.

Very nice fish Brian. However, your "big fish" bar has been raised..... you will be forever measured by this new expectation?? grin

Deer Lake rates very well on my list of area lakes. Excellent fishery for many species.

Woollman

BMC Ya gotta try trolling rapalas "the green and pearl one" along the cabbge during the full moon in july after dark. you will boat the biggest of your life. One Night trolling little ernies for muskies after dark I came across this pattern wich I dont see alot of people do on deer...they all sit on the humps with slip bobbers wich im sure works well too, but if you want a big one try it;) its worked for me on moose wabana and sugar lakes too . Im no expert walleye angler but its put some big eyeballs in the boat for me.

I caught my personal best walleye while fishing muskies with a Mag Rap. Lately the walleyes out there have been following like muskies.

I've never done very well for eyes on Deer. I know that's just me, cuz I hear of people doing very well out there. I'm gonna have to try some shallow trolling this summer, Lee. I appreciate the tip. Just outta curiousity, what's the biggest you've got doing that? I've never heard of one over 30" out of there.

I've done really well for smallies & largemouth out there, though!

My daughter Amanda and I hit Deer Lake last night, in hopes of her landing her first musky. Even though she didn't get her 'ski, she "settled" for her biggest northern to date....a 32" that she CPR'd. While she dragged a big sucker minnow behind a bobber, I used a bottom bouncer/spinner/leech combo for the 1st time ever and CPR'd this 26" 'eye. We're gonna put in a late shift out there tonight trolling cranks.

32inchgator.jpg

bbeye.jpg

Brian

Keep going after them Brian you guys are doing a great job. Tell Amanda I liked the looks of the fish handling gloves. grin

Let me know if you're able to make it down this way for a day of fishing anytime soon.

Hey Tom!

Yeah, those lime green ones she had last year had to go....too distracting in the pics! laugh We definitely need to get together one of these days. I've got a spot for some nice gators, that I know you like so much. I'll give you a call this weekend.

As for last night's report. We hit the lake around 7pm did some bottom bouncing and lindy rigging w/ no results. At 10pm we threw on the Salmo Hornets 4F's and started trolling. We ended up with 5 'eyes and a TON of rockbass. We called it quits at 12:30. 4 'eyes were 20-23" and a 16". 10-12' of water was the best. TONS of bugs out there, not mosiquitos so much, but these other non-biting, swarming, annoying little SOB's.

Brian

nice looking fish's if i wanna catch walleye or pike.. i gotta drive to casaers creek in wilmington ohio, hueston woods has saugeyes, not sure if they have musky still or not

My daughter and I hit Deer again last night. After stopping to visit a friend and seeing all the small perch minnows around his dock, we trolled the 10-12 break in front of his place w/ the Salmo Hornets F4's and put 6 'eyes in the boat between 9:30 and 11:30. 5 nice eaters and 25" we CPR'd. Also caught a couple nice smallies too. We didn't even get to our A-1 spot from the other night. If I wouldn't have bumped the prop on a rock, we would've definitely put a few more fish in the boat. Water temps were high 60's. Same bug situation as previous report.

Brian

Brian good to hear that you and your daughter had a productive night. I hope that I can make it out there and see whats biting this weekend if I can get all of my jobs done on friday wink I am sure that you will not have a chance to fish this weekend with Wild rice days but maybe we will catch you out there some other time.

Jim,

It would be great to meet you and hit Deer some night. Yeah, it's gonna be a busy weekend as usual. No fishing for me till next Monday at the earliest.....gonna be a LOOOOOONG week!! cry

Brian

Hey Jim, Jim and Julie are back at the campground.Hope you and Lisa can come and visit again.

Brian,nice looking fish and kid!!

Tim I have been so busy that I have only talked to Jim and Julie for a little bit but with Jim working in rapids they had said they were going to bring the 5th wheel out so we will have to come out and have a couple brews and shoot the breeze. You need to make some time to go laker fishing this winter and maybe you can drag BMC with grin

Laker fishing??? DEFINITELY!!! I'm O for 1 on Burntside, even though Steve Foss did a great job on showing a friend and I "the ropes" out there last winter. I want revenge!!! grin

Brian

You were just paying dues grin I don't know how many trips it took to finally out fish the wife in both numbers and size but it was at least 8 trips.

Hey Brian, we are gonna be in the parade Sunday. We are also having another training session, this time up on Winnie at Bowen's. Still interested?

Definitely Barb! Just keep me posted please as to the training dates and hopefully one will work out for me. I'll be at "my post" at Hwy's 6 and 2 during the parade.

Brian

The next training is on Sat July 18th, time has not been set yet but it most likely will be in the evening.

We went to Deer twice last week. We only caught one keeper Walleye - 16 inches. The other three Walleyes were 30, 27.5, and 24. I caught the keeper but my son and his freind both caught their personal best.

The 30 inch was a beauty. I will try and post a picture later.

I got some great deer walleye and muskie photos from last week ill post as soon as im not so lazy and feel like dealing with the hassle.....also brian nice pics I dont see too many pike come from deer.

Lee,

I'm anxious to see the fish pics from Deer! That is only the 3rd gator I've seen come out of Deer in my 20 years of fishing it. I wish we had a few more of those types of lakes around. It seems there's getting to be more and more gators in Moose though.

Check out my post in the GR forum on Spider Lake...good musky story in there. I'm in the process of making a new musky swim bait, modeled after a 15" smallie. LOL

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning on fishing Deer for Smallies this weekend. Any word on how the smallmouth fishing has been?

I have not spent as much time out there as I would like but in the 3 trips I have yet to catch a smallie while fishing for walleye's and that is very strange for that to have happened but I think with the cooler temps it has thrown things out of wack.

I was on Deer on Sunday. I saw several large smallies in 21 feet of water. My nightcrawler was floating in front of them for hours and I never caught one.

Thanks for the info guys, Sounds like the smallies are a little deeper. I was thinking they might be shallow in the evenings and some topwater may work.