• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Waconia Fishing Reports

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• MinnetonkaMan

• jjohnson5150

• ROOOOSTERFISH

jloomis

I was out this morning for a few hours before the showers moved in. The fish were going pretty good last week, but it was a little slow this morning. I have been catching largemouth, walleyes, northerns, and seeing muskies follow casting crankbaits along the weed edges of a couple of reefs. I have a great "L"-shaped turn on the inside weed edge of one reef, with a nice-sized pocket in the weeds (harder bottom) a short distance from this inside turn. I have another spot with a good patch of cabbage and some grass on a milfoil edge on another reef. #7 Frenzy Flicker Shads and #7 Jointed Shad Raps have been the ticket. Last week I got two bass over 20" along with a lot of 15 to 18 1/2 inchers, and several walleyes up to 22" with this pattern. I boated two northern, 33" and 36" in these spots last week as well. I saw one musky in the mid 40's follow my crankbait last week on that inside turn. This morning I got only three 15 to 16 inch bass, but did hook up a 38" musky. I checked around, and bluegills are on the inside weed edges and are stacking up, so the predators should move to these spots soon. Good luck!

Anyone know if the heat is causing the carp to go shallow again? Haven't been out to waconia in over a week.

They're rolling all over the shallows on every lake I've been to recently. No biters though, only spawning.

They were all over the island spawning on sat. Fishing was really tough for bass on sat. Nothing over 3.

They're rolling all over the shallows on every lake I've been to recently. No biters though, only spawning.

oh I don't wanna catch them, im gonna shoot 'em

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there all, Im new to the lake of waconia and im wondering if the kind fmers could find it in them to help me out. Im goin after the elussive lung and could really use some help. first where some good starter spots might be and i know bout andersons and also what people or anyone might think bout goin out at night on that lake during the moon phase??

Help!!!!!!

thanks matt

I'd say that whole lake is a good starter spot for muskies, I've seen them almost everywhere I've fished out there. As you said Andersons is a good spot. There's several other reefs with access to deep water (like Andersons) so those would be good spots to check also.

I've never fished Waconia at night for muskies.

Id agree, you can fish anywhere from 1 FOW up to 30 FOW and get a musky.

My best spots are; andersons, center, harms point, in front of the beach, carp trap, nelsons, cemetery and the bays- in front of intown, wagners, and reinkes (SP) lol if you didn't catch that its almost every spot on the lake smile

my best lures are white spinners, and jointed tail X-Raps

Id suggest starting by the access (doesn't matter which) and just start working your way around the lake.

Good Luck and Happy Fishing

• 4 weeks later...

i plan on going to lake waconia in mid september i have never been there,an always been told its a real nice lake.

where would all the best places to go in the lake for walleye fishing,northern pike an muskie fishing?what type of method would be the best fishing for these type of fish up there?

northern and musky is rather easy... just fish the weed lines. Walleye will vary stop by intowne for the latest update.

Hay Buck,

I have a buddy that wants to fish Waconia but he does not want to go on a boat . He has chest waders and I was thinking of taking him on the North side. Is there any way of getting to the lake along there to do some wading? Or is it to weedy? I have not been out there for awhile on that side so I am not for sure if that can be done. I know of a spot on the south but not on the North. How have you been doing by the way you still looking for work? I know because that is what I am doing.

northern and musky is rather easy... just fish the weed lines. Walleye will vary stop by intowne for the latest update.

Boy I wish I could find some of those easy fish.

It's always easy when you know what you're doing.

true that. buck how many ski's in your boat this year so far?

Hay Buck,

I have a buddy that wants to fish Waconia but he does not want to go on a boat . He has chest waders and I was thinking of taking him on the North side. Is there any way of getting to the lake along there to do some wading? Or is it to weedy? I have not been out there for awhile on that side so I am not for sure if that can be done. I know of a spot on the south but not on the North. How have you been doing by the way you still looking for work? I know because that is what I am doing.

Hey this is Buck, im still in my Dad's name. You could probably get to the water from the northeast side By (Paul Radde's place) of the lake there is a tar road that allows parking (I believe) This will get you into some reeds with a sandy bottom.

Nope, I found a job with the best buy distribution center in EP but its only a temp job. Ill be jobless by November again... hopefully by hunting season.

Originally Posted By: B K'S DAD
It's always easy when you know what you're doing.

true that. buck how many ski's in your boat this year so far?

How many do you have?

Thanks! We will go check it out and let you know how we do. He is a fly fisherman so hopefully I can put him on some sunnys at least.

Later,

hey buck

where would be a good place to catch some nice size crappies an sunfish/blue gills at?

That is a good question, I haven't fished panfish in a while but the place that I would start is anderson on the weed edge. Id suggest to stop in or call in towne, they may have a better idea of whats been happening recently.

Good luck and happy fishing.

Is 155 the road that goes past the access on the east side??? If it is drive all the way down until you see reeds along the lake shore. Just park along the road (should be tar, if you hit gravel you went too far). You will be in rienkes (SP) bay.

• 4 weeks later...

How long do we think it is before the walleyes start turning on on the big W? My guess is it is going to be pretty soon. You will probably start seeing the swimming beach packed with boats as soon as the outdoor news gives a hint of a report.

I personally have done better in other spots, but what are your thoughts as to when the fall smackdown begins on the state fish?

They have actually been biting very good all summer, at least better then average for a summer bite. I don't fish much once the archery season starts

We were just out tonight and hit some mid lake structure with a 12, 16, and a nice healthy 20. Mostly pulling three ways with colorado blades and crawlers. Bugs were horrible though. Also tried pulling firetigers and floating raps on the high banks and the swimming beach. Nothing. Too many weeds at this time in my opinion. Good luck to any one fishin but I think its time to hit the fields for some early honkers.