• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

the end of last season I thought they were getting better and had some hope but after being there this year they were loaded with those small ones . So I really havent got a clue yet we will see what happens throughout the year

Jason

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Boser

• gunner55

• lilgreek

• jvm1

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill let you know how we do, and can we get to fishable water for walleyes outa Cutfoot, i gota 60 h Mariner tiller.

Thanks,

lilgreek

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and fishing was tougher than most years, still ate fish 4 times and brought back our limits of nice size keepers.

Fish were caught in 9 to 15 fow but 11 to 12 was the magic depth water temp was 68 when we got there last sat and almost hit 70 was 62 last nite all on leeches.

Thanks Jason and good luck

Lilgreek

For you who voted against the slot limit: Don't whine now...just enjoy your guides and crowds!

• 4 weeks later...

Any recent reports from Sand? Im staying the first week of August for the first time. Any info on how to get on some fish for the kids would be great.

thanks,

Kyle

I was there last week was a bit tough no wind and 90 degrees. still best was jig and minnow in 10-12 ft

Jason

Thanks Jason I will post when i get back, but its a tough time of year so I dont expect the best of fishing.

• 3 weeks later...

It sure has been a hot summer. Seems a guy is sweating everyday out there. Fishing in this weather has remained fairly steady with some days being really good. I have been on Sand a couple days and we did good with a 1/8 oz gumball and a chub or a lindy and a leech. Sand has been different this year with the fish being a little bit everywhere. One minute on the weed edge the next way deep off the weed edge or sometimes on the deep humps. So you just have to move around to find the ones that are biting.

Now yesterday we ended up with a good bite going on a jig and minnow in 7 ft of water, but most of the fish have been a bit deeper in the 12-17 ft of water on the edges of the main break. So it goes to show don’t ever rule anything out this time of the year.

Have you been out yet Fish Slayer?

Anyone else been out?

Good luck fishing everyone

Jason Boser

Just got back from a good week of fishing. Caught lots of eyes in the 14 to 17" range along the weed edges and out on some humps. Even caught a few nice pannies as well. Beautiful weather and good fishing. Most of the eyes were on lindy rigs and leeches. Good luck out there Jason, thanks for all the reports. I will definatly be back.

We worked Sand over the weekend. We got a late start on Saturday (10:30) and found fish on the main lake humps and tight to the shoreline in the narrows. No single bait or presentation was better than others. Jig & shiner, spinner & leech, Lindy & crawler all produced about the same. They all produced walleyes and they all attracted perch, northern, rock bass and even a 12" eelpout. It was slow but steady until 5:30. When the sun came out, it was time to get off the lake and into the air conditioned shack.

• 8 months later...

Its about that time to start buggin you guys about Sand again, and is the Bowstring ramp still outa commission.

Water levels would be good info also.

good luck next week

Lilgreek

Water levels are up. Much higher than last year. I do not have any info on the Bowstring ramp but the Sand Lake ramp is in good shape. Crappies have been decent and bluegills very good.

Can anyone give me any ideas for crappies. me and the guy make a trip up there every year and we catch the eyes but we would like something else. Also i figure the bridge would be a spot. thanks.

How did you guys do on the opener and what was the water temp.

Thanks Lilgreek

Water temp today was in the low 50's. Fishing was sloooooow today. Sunny, cloudless skies and a flat lake made for a tough day. Perch, pike, and 1 nice 'eye we threw back. Probably should have targeted panfsih...........oh well, still a beautiful day to be in the boat.

The owners at Lakewood Lodge said walleye fishing has been slow, but it sounds like the panfish are making up for it.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Fished sand for 4 days. The first thin i noticed is that the water is up from last year about 3 feet. Water started warm around 60 to 69.5 on Sunday the 22nd, three days of rain it dropped to around 58. and of coarse the fishing starter good and slowly faded we caught all the walleyes on leaches and nothing else. 13 - 16 fow was best. perch are nice size and were caught on shiners or fatheads. And i also caught a sunnie trolling a #13 original floating rap at a mile and a half! Good Luck all.

Thanks for posting BMC and Lucky not a lot of action on the boards so any info helps alot, we've always used leeches and have done well some times you have to work a little harder some times you cant keep'em off your line.The water being up bothers me a bit, we've always had better luck in low water....cant wait....cold beer fresh cooked walleys MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Thanks again

Lilgreek

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up doing pretty good,brought home our limits and ate fish 3 times.

My best friend caught a 27 incher which was an a adrenaline rush, learned one thing I'd rather fish in rain then wind.

Lilgreek

So you were the guys in the Crestliner from Iowa that caught the big fish and then put it in your livewell so your buddies could see it. I was also out there and fishing close enough to hear your conversations. My buddy and I were not inpressed with your so called sportsmanship. After you had the fish in your livewell for at least a half an hour, then you decide to put it back. I don't think Virgil Ward would have been proud at all, unlike what your buddies were commenting about. We also heard you and your buddies complaining about your lost markers. If you would have gone to the west shore, you would have found them. I watched two different markers, one a laundry detergent jug and the other a Lindy marker. Unfortunately the game warden couldn't make it before you were gone to let you know about this. It's illegal to leave an unattended marker on navigable waters. My buddy and his wife did have a good camera and managed to get pictures of the boat numbers. These have been forwarded to the game warden.

hmmm... somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

glad I wasn't out there. I'm sure I would have been guilty of something too.

how many other perps did you nail?

It sure is tough to be perfect all the time....quite a cross to bear.

But then again, maybe Perfection isn't as great a goal as it might seem:

most of us already know that the only perfect guy ever got nailed to a cross.

Just last week I was commenting on the stupid, idiotic things we did when we were young: M-80's from boat to boat, potato cannons....and some others.

I sure am glad we never left markers out on navigable waters though.

I'm glad you think this is joke. These guys from Iowa were rude and as unsportsman like as could be. When my young kids started commenting on what was going on, I think it's pretty bad. I watched a local fisherman try to fish on the same bar these people were on. There was plenty of room for everyone, but all we could hear was "where the he(( do they think they are going?" There is more to the story, but the point is this bragging "sportsman" is no sportsman.

Walleye seeker is right. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. I don't know anybody that is 100% lily white and that includes me. I did a lot of dumb things in my younger days. I'd like to think I'm over that now. A simple mistake is one thing but blatant disregard for the laws and other people is unacceptable. When I see people doing things they shouldn't, I try to be polite and try to correct the situation. Many times, they just don't know any better and are thankful for the tip. If someone insists on violating, so be it. I'm not the law. The state has the TIP number for a reason. I have the local CO's phone number programmed on my phone and have used it.

Well I like that approach to reporting much better than the snide one (honey vs vinegar?) so now I wait for a response from the accused....live and learn or keep on keepin' on?

Sometimes telling them in person what you think is better than putting it on the internet. If you were close enough to them to take photos, you should have confronted them. Sportsmen can and should police other sportsmen they see in violation. Don't be a hothead about it, just tell them how you feel about the violations.

Wow dude, I guess ill go with the facts we caught a 28" in Walleye and wanted to show the rest of our group the fish, OUTRAGEOUS.

We RELEASED it as soon as they saw it, on that one Ill let the board judge that. As far as the markers, the former lodge owner used to mark that spot for our group and another lodge owner was asked after we lost 5 markers said that the LOCALS didnt want that spot advertised so they STEAL them, Im not saying thats what happened, but we have never lost so many markers in a week ever.I know we lost markers to the wind and for that im very sorry but 3 of the other markers didnt get blown away.

There was a boat that wasnt doing very good and we told them exactly what to do, so from the sportsman aspect i dont really get where your coming from dude , we were always the first ones out there and when we caught the 28 there wasnt a soul out there but us.

When you fish a spot like that one there are 2 ways to fish it we troll or control drift or we could ANCHOR right on the spot, we had 2 other boats out there that were still trying to catch there limits, Im kinda curious my friend, what brought you over so close, your obvious friendly gift of gab or did you see us catching fish?

I fish the Miss so im used to crowds,.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

This is a Fishing Report thread. Lets keep it to just that guys.

• 2 weeks later...

How are the may flies? Been running into them the last few years and the fishing has been terrible, going up next Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well this is my first time posting on this site but have been on the site for years and I was wondering if someone could help give me some pointers on Sand Lake. I was just up there at the end of August and did quite well but for the eyes. We did get a couple but nothing like what I was expecting but we had blue skys with no wind (I know excuses lol). If anything we will be headed up Oct. 8th and spending a couple days if that may help on the tips.