• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We have a family vacation planned for the week of June 6 and were wondering if there are any current reports for walleye and crappies. Just wondering if there is a depth to start with. Any help would be great.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Boser

• gunner55

• lilgreek

• String

We caught a fair number in shallower rocks and sand, 8-12 feet with jigs and minnows and plain hooked shiners.

No crappies but saw a few being caught in traditional walleye spots on the main lake.

Fishing in the middle of no where (pursposely away from the crowds) when 2 new Lunds dropped right on me. They trolled within a few feet of my boat and were killing the northerns they were catching and throwing them back. I had two young boys in my boat and had to explain this 'impressive' scenario. The world is full of losers and that killing game fish is wrong etc...

They were basically smashed and the only near sober one was somewhat apologenic after one had made some disparaging comments in front of my kids.

I am fairly tolerant but when kids are near this is no way to behave and more typically of a small minority who hit more popular lakes. I am pretty sure these guys are from a cabin on the NE end. I have called my buddy who is a GW in the area and they are looking into it.

Hopefully these bums will be gone when you are there. We will be up for a week starting June 7th. Hope to see you on the water and good luck.

we have been catching them on the west side by the river and starting to get some on the long bars by the island. most have been in that 9-10 ft and lots of nice perch shallower jig and a shiner or chub

Jason Boser

Will be up on Sand next week and am wondering how the fishing has been and where the water level is at compared to last year.

The majority of the lakes in the area are producing fish. Still jig and minnow on the shorelines for the most part and some fish are starting to be caught on the bars. Water levels are higher than last year at this time.

Brian

I fished it 2 times last week did ok bothe it wasnt the mother lode or nothing but if you keep working and sorting throough the small ones you will do alright. caught them in 9- 16 ft mostly on the shorelines but was doing pretty good out on the bars when we could get out to them when the wind wasnt so bad

Jason

[YouNeedAuthorization]

• 1 month later...

The family and I are heading to a resort on Sand Lake for the next week. We have 2 young boys so looking for panfish or perch advice. I may do some trolling / drifting for eyes also. Also, is there any good smallie lakes in the area? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks CNE

The resort you are staying at should be able to point you in the right direction for panfish. TONS of northerns in Sand Lake and if the kids just want action, troll raps or a jig/minnow combo will keep them entertained....guaranteed!

There are some smallies in Sand, but not alot. I think most are caught by walleye fisherman. Turtle by Talmoon/Marcell is a great smallie lake and Deer Lake, north of Deer River would be another good option for smallies.

Brian

The city of Deer River must be pretty generous if you can afford to troll Rapalas on Sand Lk bmc gringringrin

Those toothy little snot rockets are a tackle shop owners best friend.

The local tow truck guy cut a couple feet of cable off his tow truck, it worked great for leader material!!! laugh

I should have mentioned if trolling raps up there, definitely use a steel leader or heavy mono leaders.

• 1 month later...

Any reports from Sand lately? Going to be staying at Lakewood Lodge over Labor Day weekend. Curious as to how the fishing has been.

My dad was out there a couple of weeks ago and did so-so. Their group of 3 got 12 keepers and a few too big to keep (over 19") in a day and a half. The weather they had was terrible though, so I'd suspect the fishing should be better with stable weather. I'm not sure where they were at, he didn't mention any spots or depths. I know they were using leeches/crawlers on lindys.

only been so so out there I was there the day before yesterday walleyes were scattered around we would catch a couple and have to move crappies were starting to go pretty good though

Jason

What kinda areas were the crappies hanging out at? Suspended, cabbage or rice is all I wanna know, no specific spots

• 2 weeks later...

Question for Jason or I guess anyone. Stayed at lakewood lodge form the 22nd - 26th fishing Sand Lake for walleye's. From being a past guide I guess the walleye's came easy, 12-16ft outside weed edge jig and minnow. Find a little hump, point or irregularity on a bank and bingo. What had me stumped though was in 4 day's probally caught around 60 walleye's and not one over 14 1/2. I got very frusrated with this tried slipping deeper into the 20 ft range. Also tried, fat wraps and other stick crankbaits outside of milfoil edges thinking that might be the ticket to landing one 16-24 incher. Only spent around 2 hours doing that, maybe wrong area. Any way enough rambling on, I be heading up again next year. One peice of advice for me to find bigger fish. One huge mistake maybe was never trying a lindy rig with crawlers and leeches, how ever my past wouldn't lead my to believe that would bring bigger fish since I never even caught one. Any way great lake and great resort.

we found similar results ghostzapper. Never got any walleyes over 12 inches. And those northerns that were supposedly supposed to be everywhere seemed to disappear during our stay. I think we only caught around 6 northerns all weekend.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer stretch of weather though. Sunshine a bluebird skies every day. Lakewood Lodge is awsome too. Nicest cabins in the area - hands down.

What has happened to the lake? I have property on the lake and this is the first year I have not been able to get a fish over 14". In other years the average was 16-17". It seems like the fish over 14" are being removed from the lake. Is netting occuring on Sand?

How about Bowstring, what has the size been like there this year?

Mr. Batter try a little deeper for N. Pike. We caught some of our largest pike ever out in deeper water.

ghost zapper and beer batter.......First I would like to Thank You for your kind words about Lakewood Lodge. Second, I have copied your posts and sent them on to our DNR Fisheries group as well as our Lake Assoc. as I have asked similar questions. We have seen some 16" to 18" lately but few and far between. Thanks Again.

Mr. Batter try a little deeper for N. Pike. We caught some of our largest pike ever out in deeper water.

We did try some deep drops, and even tried trolling deep divers in the 30-40 foot troughs adjacent to shallow humps. Only thing we caught were crappies from the deeper areas (and very nice crappies at that).

Spoke to some of the guides (Believe it was Mr Boser, and someone of the nickname Cubbie) and it was a tough go for them on that day too. It happens, no complaints on my end. We had a great time.

Lakewood, nice place you've got up there.

I've fished Sand alot since the '80s and have seen a few years like this where the fish run really small. Generally, it's year class related and the fish tend to run bigger in a year or 2.

That being said, there are a few things that may also be at play here. There seems to be a bit more pressure on the lake the last couple of years.

1-Sand and Bowstring are the only mid-large lakes around without a slot for walleyes. A fair number of folks frustrated by the 17" max on walleyes are hitting Sand and Bowstring.

2- This lake really seems to be a guide favorite, it's rare not to see at least one rig at the access.

3-Some of the resorts on the lake have really made some nice improvements and I'm just guessing that bookings are up and the clientelle are better fishermen.

I was one who was against the slot going on Sand, like alot of fishermen, I practice selective harvest and I think most folks that are decent fishermen do too. I believe the DNR will be holding meetings this fall regarding the slot on Winnie. Not sure about the other experimental lakes. I really, really hope that the DNR will adjust the slot up to 19" on Winnie and the other lakes around. That alone would take pressure off of Sand and Bowstring. I really think the 17" max is too low. JMHO, I could be wrong.

• 8 months later...

How was the opener? Looking for info on depths, patterns, etc.. Heading up this weekend, would appreciate any reports.

Thanks

We had OK luck opening weekend. All of our fish were caught with minnows. The fish just dont know where they should be right now, so i would try multiple depths. I know that seems vauge, but we caught fish in 30 ft and 12 ft. The warm weather this week might turn the bite on. Report back next week on your success. I will be going back 6-1 and will be interested to know how you did. Good luck and go slowwww.

Like basseye said, check all depths and most are being caught on jigs and minnows. Leeches have had some success too. This week has been a little slow as we have had full sun and very little wind. When the wind picks up so does the bite. Today we have cloud cover and a slight breeze so hoping for a better bite. Good Luck!

Is the water low on Sand also, Jason B said something about snug Harbor also water temp please, People people people.lol

sand is in good shape I was out there tuesday and it was 65degrees and fishing was pretty good in 8-12 ft jig and minnow

Jason

You the man Jason, cant say as we have used jigs and minnows we have always used leeches.But you can bet ill have some with us ,400 miles is a long way to haul minnows.

We have been wanting to try and hit Bowstring any thing you can suggest for spots or depth.

Thanks Jason

lilgreek

sorry I hear the landing is bad and none of us have been there yet.

Sounds like some wind is coming which will help. I have been on Sand lake this last week and when we have wind we catch fish.

The fish are shallow, Chasing shiners and little perch. So fish in 8-12 ft of water depending on your weather with a jig and minnow. I checked out some of the structure away from shore and caught a few but the shoreline flats were a lot better. Use a 1/8 oz gumballs with the wind and 1/16 oz fireballs without for the best results.

Shiners are still plentiful in the area, so stop at Freds or Bens bait for excellent bait.

Jason Boser

fishing fever guide service

mnfishishing pros guide service

218-999-5591

Hey Jason , since starting the aggressive pike limit, have you noticed any size increase on the pike.

If sand could start producing some nicer pike that would a real bonus.

Comin up the 5th looks like we need to have the rain gear ready.

Thanks again for all the help.

Lilgreek