• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cedar Lake Fishing Reports - Scott County - New Prague

Which access is that one? The main access or the smaller one? I was out there today and noticed the road had a few dips in it about twenty yards out from the access. I assumed they were ruts but it made my heart skip a few beats though. Now after hearing this I wonder if it might have been some soft ice I hit. I went out off the smaller access today.

The crappies were hitting when I got there at 1130 am and it was steady until the crowds came out and started to make Swiss cheese out of the ice. Also caught a little walleye 3 ft off the bottom in 8 FOW... I was surprised to see that little big eyed fish come up the hole...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portlis

• ThunderLund78

• BronzeBrother

• Mike Dumas

Anyone have any reports on how close the ice is to going out? Is there any shore line area to fish from right now with ice pulling away?

How is the fishing from shore on here? Just thinking about bringing the kids back here cause they have a blast catching the little crappies. Last time out was on the ice. Should we just hit the northside shoreline? Or is that private property? I see a feeder creek on the south side by the ramp but that is the wrong side of the lake for this time of year I am thinking.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any info on this lake in New Prague? I used to fish it alot, but haven't for a few years. I know about the prior fish kills, but my main concern are the weeds this year. Any info would be awesome.

I was last on it a little over a week ago and the weeds were already thick to the surface in several spots. If history has anything to say about it, I'd expect it to be completely weedy now and stay that way for at least a couple weeks. Good luck

Zelmsdawg

Was out on may 31. Lots of fish boiling on the surface. Caught crappie after crappie on a jig and minnows. All were on the small side for me, no keepers, but good entertainment. Weeds were anywhere between 1-3' below the surface. in the 8-4' water depths. Fished the rock point mostly and a little in the deeper basin to the south.

TrollnDrift

Any one got new info on how weedy its getting out there..

I have yet to put my boat in Cedar this year, yet. but I drive by every day past the north access. Weeds are guaranteed from opener through the 4th of July, but I gotta say, the view from shore makes it look like it's not as bad as previous years. The cold spring may have curbed them a bit, but like I say, I've not actually been on the water yet. Take it for what it's worth. There's a thick mat of pondweed that extends out 15-20yds. from shore but beyond that it looks clear. I've seen years where it pretty much goes across the whole lake. There has been quite a few trailers in the parking lot even on the weekdays, so people are going out. If you give it a try, please report back!

I dont boat it very often but hit the shore almost daily if i have time. Its not near as bad as it was the last few years! get out there and get those crappies!

Thanks for the report fellas, dont sound like its as bad as other years. Probably gonna fish it tomorrow for the metro muskie tournament see if I can snag a 50" tiger smirk

Fished Cedar last Saturday and today. Did real well on some nice 8 - 8 1/2" sunnies. A little slower today. Weeds are getting up but the lake is still fishable.

Last time i fished there the sunnys were on the spawn, did you find any with eggs?

I was there yesterday very slow. There was no spawning activity at all. We only got a couple sunnies and they were full of spawn. I think the cold spell pushed them out deeper. The weeds are still manageable.

Mwal

Any updates on the weeds at Cedar? I would like to take my boys out there this weekend.

Havent been out there recently but ive never seen the weeds so bad you couldnt catch some of those crappies!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates on Cedar as far as the weeds? Are they down enough to cast/reel or just jig? Planning to take my boys out in the morning. Their attention span doesn't work well with jigging. They need to be casting. Gotta love the attention span of kids. lol

Guess I get to answer my own question. Just got back from Cedar - still pretty weedy out there. Spent our time just on the northern half of the lake as there were a number of recreational boaters out so not sure if the southern half is any better. Was tough to anything but jig without pulling in weeds with each cast. All the kids caught some crappies so that made it worthwhile. Hopefully the weeds drop soon.

• 11 months later...

I'm thinking of heading to cedar lake(Scott county) to chase some bass. Was wondering if anyone has some good tips that could help me have a more successful time. How's the Muskie fishing there? Thanks and good fishing.

Last time i was there i caught a few really nice bass along the shoreline.. under docks and trees. so much changes day to day though with what the fish bit on and where they hangout its really hard to say since i haven't been there in a few weeks. good luck!

really nice bass along the shoreline.. under docks and trees.

+1 to wood in the water for sure. Depending on the time of day on that lake, I think the fish heavily relate to shade structure cause there is absolutely no deep structure on that lake. Once the sun goes low enough that the docks and wood no longer provide a consistent shade area though, I've found that you might as well just leave. There are a few really nice weed mats (not sure on current weed growth) that I typically hit with a frog or something as well. Check out the south end near the park and east along the wooded shoreline if theres some good weed growth currently. Its a long stretch that can put out depending on time of year.

If the bass is slow you can always rely on them good ol crappies at least.

they are, but you should still take a limit home with ya! It wont hurt the lake at all! lol

they are, but you should still take a limit home with ya! It wont hurt the lake at all! lol

Whatcha talking about Willis? Those Crappies are huge! wink

Was just out on Cedar this morning with my dad taking his new fishing boat for a spin to get the feel for it. Didn't do any fishing but there were plenty of folks out there trying. Saw a few crappies get pulled in, no surprises. I will say that all the weeds are now gone and the water is perhaps a little clearer than average. Still pretty silty brown but probably 2 ft visibility off the dock. I've seen it a lot worse. I may have to try it next weekend if I have some time.

Found some bass when I made it out. Some small but 4 from 18"-19.5". Some came from wood in or hanging over water. Most big ones were under docks. When bass fishing slowed I decided to hit some pannies, mostly crappies but also caught some big gills. Half the crappies were 8"-8.75", the rest were smaller. The curly leaf pond weed is dying off fast but is bunching up on the surface.