• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CrappieFan

Cedar Lake Fishing Reports - Scott County - New Prague

CrappieFan

Has anyone been down to Cedar Lake in Scott County? Was curious about the water levels. I know last year getting out of the boat dock on the East side it got a little shallow getting out (3-4 feet). Don't want to drive down there if it has gotten worse.

Thanks

pikehunter78

Water's pretty low and the pondweed has definitely come up a lot in the last week.

wakeguy

I was on Cedar yesterday hoping to chase some muskies. I had a hard time finding any water that didn't have weeds to the surface. I went in shallow to check out all of the white dots and saw more dead crappies than I could count. I also saw a few dead musky. Also we saw many crappie that just sat below the surface and refused to swim away even if you poked them with the tip of the rod. It seems as though the lake is experiencing a summer kill but it seems too early and cool for that too happen. Does anyone have a good explination? I thought the weeds would actually put more oxygen in the water but it seems like the lake is dying.

ec30_06

Sounds like it was a bacteria thing out there.

Joe28

I heard some weeds were sprayed and the chemicals caused a kill.

PC's

Yea theres dead panfish floating all over on prior and spring to. Lots of weird sunfish swiming in prior all lethargic like with weird growthes on them. Prolly cause of the chemicals that the dnr somehow allows to be drained into lakes. DEAD MUSKIES ON CEDAR NOW THATS JUST TRAGIC. i hate to say it but with all this devolopment and pressure on or resources its the begining of the end my freinds!!!

PC's

I was out on cedar and wasent bothered by nary a weed

CrappieFan

PC's - how was the fishing? Haven't been out there this year but last year I would take my kids down there as they had a blast catching crappies one after another.

CrappieFan

Tried to it Cedar this weekend. Was amazed at how many weeds there are and lots of dead fish. Didn't stay long. Packed up and hit O'Dowd on the way home.

WalterHalter

Last year there was a huge walleye die-off,summer kill.

Sifty

My father in law was there last Thursday. He said the weeds where unbelivable and that they where a ton of small sunfish and crappie floating. A guy at the landing said the lake had gotten sprayed the week before.

Sifty

pikehunter78

It's definitely tragic, but that's a weird lake. This seems to happen every summer when the weeds choke the lake out. I don't remember a summer in the last 7 or 8 years where there hasn't been crappies everywhere. And every other year or so a bunch of walleyes seem to go belly up. Muskies here and there too. Yet the lake still sustains fishable populations all three of these species. And my best personal bass came out of Cedar as well. It's never good to see that many dead fish but I gotta think Aquacide is not the sole culprit. You get that much pondweed in a lake (and it's 100% covered this year) you're gonna displace a lot of fish. I know Walleyes are stocked, but the ones that turn up are often over 24" so the ones that survive are living good in there. And there's more stunted crappies in that lake than any other lake in the area. I think nature has a lot to do with this as well.

PC's

dont seem weedy to me just fish SHALLOW DIVERS in the main basin

Aaron Carrell

Any recent reports on the weed situation now? I'll be out there Tuesday and just wondering what to expect. Its always either a blanket of weeds, or not one to be found other than laying on bottom.

ec30_06

still weedy

pikehunter78

Yup,

I drove by tonight and it's still wall to wall, but I think they're starting to pull up judging by the larger floating mats I could see. There was one boat out there but I could tell even from the highway that he was trimmed up looking at his prop covered in pondweed. Couple more weeks and a good windy day and she'll be all clear.

Troy Smutka

It's usually around the first week in July when the weeds clear out. Could be later this year with water temp. lagging behind normal.

Troy Smutka

I haven't been on Cedar Lake near New Prague yet this year. Does anyone know if the weeds have cleared out yet, and what the water temp. is? Thanks!

ec30_06

Most of the curly leaf is gone in the south metro/southern MN. Lake level is down out there(watch the rock bars)

wdgold

My son and I will be going out on cedar tomorrow morning.

CrappieFan

If you don't mind posting how the weeds were like. I went out there several weeks ago and it was terrible. Weeds and dead fish everywhere.

PC's

Anybody know whats with the water spewing up from the east side of cedarlake?

AceintheHole

It's a big fish tank pump wink

CrappieFan

Have the weeds gotten any better out at Cedar? I went out earlier in the year and it was crazy. Weeds and dead fish everywhere.

AceintheHole

Should be pretty weed free by now but don't quote me on that.

Aaron Carrell

The weeds are laying down now or gone. Pretty weed free altogether on the entire lake currently.

PC's

the muskie fishing is so much better on cedar when the weeds are thick and sloppy

CrappieFan

So has anyone been out there lately? Was wondering if the weeds are indeed down and whether there are any fish left. There were so many that died earlier in the year. Was hoping to get down there this weekend.

takeakidfishing

Was on Cedar Lake today and there was 6-10 inches of ice on the lake. Is this lake full of stunted crappies because every crappie I caught was 5-6 inches long?? Plenty of action and could not keep them of the hook. Must have caught 100 in a couple hours.

fisherman-andy

The lake has been like that for awhile. Believe or not they have grown. They also die off in big numbers during Spring, Summer, Winter. I dont believe they are totally stunted. Alot of the sunnies I catch out of there are decent size and there's tons of them too. Im thinking they are being stocked or some sort. Its been fish kill after fish kill the last 3-4 years and there as plenty as ever.