• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cedar Lake Fishing Reports - Scott County - New Prague

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portlis

• ThunderLund78

• BronzeBrother

• Mike Dumas

i dont know if the lake belongs here vs south central forum, but i havent been by in awhile. Can a small car get on and off the lake from the access? if not, is there somewhere public to park somewhere else around the lake? looking to take someone who just wants to catch fish and doesnt care if they are 6 inch crappies.

thanks

you can park at both access's or park on the side of the road along County rd 86 on the north end of the lake. i was out about a week ago and there was a ton of cars out so you should be fine but again that was a week ago....

I was out there last Thursday. We were all over the lake trying to find some bluegills. You don't need to go far to catch crappies out there though. You may want to make sure you bring a shovel just in case.

Has there been much of a morning bite on Cedar? Have been fishing prior in the morning and it's been really slow. I think I would rather quantity this saturday rather that quality. Thanks

If it's 6" crappies you seek, it's anytime of the day. I've been out there probably 5 or 6 times this year because my kids always want to go back! It becomes a game after a while to find out what the crappies won't bite on. I haven't found anything yet from the smallest panfish jig with plastics to a 2 1/2" darter lure plain.

25 years ago that thing was absolutely loaded with big crappies. You could not run 2 lines !! It was that fast and furious ! All beauties too. I rarely remember having to throw a little one back. Most of em were 12 to 13 inches. Must have been a fantastic year class. Still remember what a great time it was 25 years later. I lived in Burnsville at the time and it was kind of a haul out there when you would be back in the car with your limit after half an hour. What a BLAST !

If it's 6" crappies you seek, it's anytime of the day. I've been out there probably 5 or 6 times this year because my kids always want to go back! It becomes a game after a while to find out what the crappies won't bite on. I haven't found anything yet from the smallest panfish jig with plastics to a 2 1/2" darter lure plain.

the limit i kept to do my part were all 8" not much there, but a good snack. if everyone did that everytime they went out it would help. couldnt even read the bottom with my marcum because the fish were so thick. caught over 100 crappies while i was out.

it is a fun game, i've played it in the summer. caught them on everything. daredevils, shad raps, bass swim baits, full size spinner baits. everywhere you go to. doesnt matter where on the lake. even right out in the middle.

ps the ice road is good, but the north access is slippery and steep. i parked and drug the sled out.

ps the ice road is good, but the north access is slippery and steep. i parked and drug the sled out.

Where do you get onto the "ice road"?

At the boat launch!

I know that was a stupid question to begin with but I have not been to this lake yet and dont want to waste time wandering around trying to find the way on... Thanks for the info...

I always get on what I guess is the north access. When going south on 13 there will be a bar/resturant on your left with a bunch of snowmobiles parked outside, shortly after that you will see the boat access sign on your right. You will need 4 wheel drive to get off the lake if you use this one though.

Just got back from Cedar. The kid and I had a blast with the Crappies. It was hit and miss for about 3 hours with the crappies coming in about every half hour or so but when it hit 5 o'clock we couldn't keep them off the hook. My son caught a surprise fish when we first got out there. A little Muskie. Beautiful looking fish. Now if I can figure out how to post the pic on here.

I always get on what I guess is the north access. When going south on 13 there will be a bar/resturant on your left with a bunch of snowmobiles parked outside, shortly after that you will see the boat access sign on your right. You will need 4 wheel drive to get off the lake if you use this one though.

This is where we went on too. Not too bad but with this warm weather lately there sure is a ton of water on the ice. And is it just odd for me but man there are a ton of old holes drilled in the main road. Wow! Assuming these were there before the road was cleared but it looked like Swiss cheese on the road. Lol

bronzebrother, i was out there saturday same report as you fun time for me and my wife, shabbysmuskie002.jpge also caught a 13 inch hybrid, ill post a pic soon,

Great to see the hungry young Tigers out there! He needs to get bigger and start munching on crappies!

I've heard stories about the DNR stocking Flathead Cats in similar lakes to manage panfish proliferation. That would be interesting to do in this lake and would provide another fun Target. they might eat the little muskies, though. Who knows.

Hows the ice holding up out there with this warm up?

It was very slushy with a bit of standing water on Sunday. We need a freeze

Was out today for a bit. The main road out has pretty deep water on it, so I would avoid it by driving to either side if possible.

99% of the snow on the lake has melted and there is a layer of water on top of the ice. If you are going out. be careful

Great to see the hungry young Tigers out there! He needs to get bigger and start munching on crappies!

I've heard stories about the DNR stocking Flathead Cats in similar lakes to manage panfish proliferation. That would be interesting to do in this lake and would provide another fun Target. they might eat the little muskies, though. Who knows.

I think you mean channel cats.

Here is one I caught through the ice. it was so big it wouldn't fit through my hole so I had to cut a big square in the ice. coolcool

4798_583007448232_199101806_34113807_817

Anyone have any updates for Cedar? How drivable is the ice? Should I just plan on walking out there? Looking at going there on Sunday any info would be greatly appreciated. My son wants to get back out there so I know this is the place to check.

Thanks in advance

I think you mean channel cats.

You could be right, Pureinsanity,

I thought it was Flathead catfish since they prefer to eat live prey--at least in the river. I've never fished for Catfish in a lake. I used to live in Winona and Lake Winona has a healthy, good-sized panfish population along with some monster flats. They're not often caught but every once in a while a guy would pull one in off the fishing pier while sucker fishing for Northern. Some people I've talked to down there say that the cats are a big part of keeping the panfish in check.

Flatheads were stocked in various lakes to control bullheads and other fish...so were channels so nobody is wrong.

Back to original topic....

Anyone have any updates for Cedar? How drivable is the ice? Should I just plan on walking out there? Looking at going there on Sunday any info would be greatly appreciated. My son wants to get back out there so I know this is the place to check.

Thanks in advance

I was out there today and the ice is fine.

There is one many road off the west public access that heads to the north east and on not so traveled that heads straight east.

There are plenty of trucks on the ice.

Sifty

Watch out if you go off the east (St. Patrick) access. A diesel dropped a wheel through the ice today, right on the road.