• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Musky speared

TRZ II

mrklean - there's a huge difference between this and driving drunk, endangering people's lives. A 54.5" muskie truly is a trophy, no doubt, and it's a shame to have it die that way, but we're talking about a fish here. I personally don't think its worth ruining some kid's life over. He can be disciplined appropriately, learn from this, and move on. If he doesn't and becomes a repeat offender, go ahead and slap his picture all over the place and make an example of him. Give the kid a chance to make it right before you crucify him.

If I was the CO I'd ask the kid's Dad if he wanted the ticket written out to him or his kid and leave it at that. I put alot of effort into preserving our states most precious resource, MUSKIES, but in the end it's still a fish and a kid, sad to hear a beast like that meets it's demise at the end of a spear but it happened. See the SCARY STORY thread if you forget the difference between $--t happens and what really matters in life.

If they find the kid and his friends who helped him they should give him some community service with the DNR Muskie program.

Hopefully the kid will come forward and we won't have to waste more state resources on this and we can move on.

I haven't heard anything from the DNR yet.

I can't find the link that yopauly referenced either. Hopefully someone can post it here.

"our states most preciouse receource"!?

Really!!!

N.S. !!!!

Hope you didn't vote for the "O" !

Go Al F.

Go GREEN.

God help us all!

I'm not sure what most of that means but I didn't vote for the "O"!

Can the native Americans legally spear muskie in the spring, and is there a quota on those?

wow mrklean you must have been the perfect little school boy when you were a young kid. its dumb what they did and your acting like you have never done some illegal before. i think your pretty immature for saying put is pic up all over the paper....get real man. This one fish is not going to ruin muskie fishing for the lake. i agree with the muskie service thing that would be a good learning experience.

I really hope that all of you that have already found the youth guilty without getting all the facts are perfect in every way. I'm sure none of you speed or drive with no seat belts on. All I'm saying is I will with hold judgment until the DNR comes to a conclusion. I've done some pretty stupid things in my day and I didn't turn out to be a criminal.

doesn't mille lacs have like a ton of muskies anyways???--whhats one less:)

To me its the principle of the act, a lot of us had some strong comments about the morons that ran over and tied up the deer in Wisconsin and the case here in MN. I'd have to say this is similar to that act, appears an intentional act by someone, the report was not that it was speared, but speared multiple times plus the spear left in the fish. It may just be "one fish" but with CPR and such, that fish may have been a fish of a lifetime a few times and to be found like that is upsetting.

Seeing this huge beast with a spear in its back clinging to life was very upsetting to see, plus people from the wedding party spent an hour trying to revive it. We were the ones who called TIP, and we just wanted to get the DNR to keep an eye on them kids who were spearing-they just need to learn what they did was WRONG! I think they may close mille lacs tributaries to non-native spearing know from what the CO said.

Oldendays- thanks for being proactive on notifying and attempting to revive the fish. A shame it had to turn out the way it did.

Speeding, and no seat belt to spearing a 50"+ muskie not even in the same category what so ever

You are absolutely right mrklean. Speeding is ten time worse than spearing a big fish. I would rather see every muskie in the state speared and tossed on shore than to hear of a single kid hit by a speeding car or a kid hurt in an accident because his parents didn't set a good example by wearing seat belts. It's nice to know there are perfect people like you to show us the way.

yup couldn't agree more, there are alot worse things to worry about

i am sure the muskie took off and pulled the spear out of the kids hands. you think if they wanted to spear it they would have wanted to show their dad for sure....i would :-)

i stand by my views i could really care less what you have to say, poaching is poaching in my book and people who poach should be made an example of. Since there are better things out there then catching poacher lets get rid of COs and have them become cops to catch speeders and people not wearing seatbelts. If it was a 30 year old man who did this people would be yelling for his license to be taken away for life, and jail time and who knows what else but since hes a kid lets slap his wrist. Good example for the rest of the poachers out there. Poaching is poaching no matter the age. Thats all i have to say about this topic anymore

Couldn't agree more with mrklean. I'm writing the Gov. to get the ball rolling for a federal pen. for juveniles to spend a life sentence at for a mistake or poor judgment. I would hate to see our youth learn from their mistakes. Just throw them in jail for life. Glad I was a perfect child like mrklean must have been.