• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Now I know Muddog will be trolling cranks, T.O. will be pitching something to shallow weeds, and Bunt2k will be dragging a white twister tail on a jig somewhere. But what is everyone else going to use as there first presentation this weekend? I think I will drag some live bait on a rig around!

I was actually going to change it up this year and use live bait, i.e. leech, fathead, and shiners, along with trying my famous white twister on a jig.

However, if I do find them shallow, I will be trying out some of my new collection of x-raps in the shallows.

Probably have 5 poles lined up and ready to rock so I can fast switch presentation.

Now I know Muddog will be trolling cranks, T.O. will be pitching something to shallow weeds, and Bunt2k will be dragging a white twister tail on a jig somewhere. But what is everyone else going to use as there first presentation this weekend? I think I will drag some live bait on a rig around!

Trolling spinners and crawlers or crank baits or draggin' jigs and minnows will be the presentations this weekend that my boat focuses on.

Plenty of time for casting...

I'll be vertically jigging a gold/chartreuse or gold glitter jig with a shiner dipped in Grainbelt

I'll be vertically jigging a gold/chartreuse or gold glitter jig with a shiner dipped in Grainbelt

NOw why would you let the shiner drink the Premo??

Originally Posted By: Morneau132

NOw why would you let the shiner drink the Premo??

I share with friends.....

`

Quote:
Probably have 5 poles lined up and ready to rock so I can fast switch presentation.

Ditto on that. I'll have a 10' rod with a spoon for trolling. I'll have a M/H muskie rod for throwing large jerk baits. A 7' M rod for smaller jerk bait and swim baits and a line counter rod and a spinning rod for trolling and casting crank baits.

Green/Orange/Yellow short-shank 1/4oz. rattln' fireball witha nice 21/2" fattie on the back, delicious! laugh

I will probably start working deep transitions with Jig or Lindy and a leech (hard to break tradition) working shallow. Later will switch over to cranks.

Looks like a fairly early start and off the water by noon for my crew.

I light of recent events on larger waters I have equipped the Lund with water cannons to fend off pirates or other suspect boats that pass within casting distance. You can't be too carefull these days.

For the race to the landing in the morning one of my passengers will be tossing 'Stop Sticks' from the back of my truck as we near the access.

In order to secure a premo parking spot I have added a push bumper to the front of the F150 to move vehicles at the ramp with no trailers and recruited All American towing to impound those with trailers who cannot be pushed.

This is opening weekend one must be prepared !

Lmao, funny Ken. This is exactly we I am opting for a little more "low profile" setting for my opening morning!

tough for me not to use the lindy rigs right away, but jigs and cranks will also get some attention

You mean you have a lake picked out ?

My gut tells me I will be on Madison but I just don't know. I may try a smaller lake that has put out on past openers but has been slow the last year or so.

I just can't decide where to go yet.

This is some very interesting talk about opening day technique. A little advice needed here, I was thinking about starting off with live bait on a jig but then hearing you guys talking about cranks makes me wonder if I should start off with cranks to find active fish and then switch to jigs?

The lake I will be fishing is mostly 9 - 12 feet deep with areas getting 15 - 16 feet deep. I was going to work the shallow rock shorelines but might troll along them in 6 - 7 fow. I just dont know.

Josh

Cranks are always a great option but this early in the year I would opt for a spinner on a bottom bouncer or 3 way rig if you are planning on covering some water. A little slower presentation, yet still offers the flash of a crank and the added live bait as well. Crawlers, minnows or leeches...take your pick but I always have all three there and ready to go.

I'll be rigging with shiners (if I can find them) or rainbows probably starting out along breaks from 6ft all the way down to 35 ft. if necessary. I'm sure I'll be pitching jigs before days end and also pulling some of the spinners as mentioned above as well. My fishing partner will tie on a lindy rig and won't take it off all day so this plays in how I have to plan my day as well. Should be good!!

i plan on pitching jigs and using eathier crappie minnows or fat heads near the edges of the upcomming weeds lines. that seemed to be the trick of the trade for me the past 2 years now. but if that dont work ill be trolling cranks off points and breaklines in 6-12 feet of water. and if that dont work ill try vertical jigging in a little deeper water.and if that dont work i guess ill just go home and cry lol. grin

You mean you have a lake picked out ?

Who said anything about a lake????