• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

There was some trash talk in the boat at the Get-To-Gether this weekend about mounting certain species of fish. So the question was brought up while Morneau132 was hammering Sheephead: "If you where tho catch a state record fish, but it was of a less desirable species like a sheephead, carp, bullie, dogfish, sucker, largemouth bass (sorry bass guys I had to!), shad, rock bass, eel pout, sturgeon, etc, etc.....

So my question who would get a state record fish mounted no matter what it looked like?

I for one would do it!!!!!!

I would have done in this in survey form if I knew how? Maybe one of the green namer's can help me out?

I would not mount a 36lb sheephead. A Record Bass has no place on my walls.

A sturgeon however would make my wall (replica).

So your saying if you caught a sturgeon that might have broke a record but it can't be registered due to catch and release only season you would get a replica made or you would pay to have your buddies made??

So your saying if you caught a sturgeon that might have broke a record but it can't be registered due to catch and release only season you would get a replica made or you would pay to have your buddies made??

Mike, check out the sturgeon on Woody's Fairly Reliable Guide Service website.

We've got some work to do.

Mike, check out the sturgeon on Woody's Fairly Reliable Guide Service website.

We've got some work to do.

Holy Hannah you ain't kidding! We will have more sticks in the water next year to improve our odd's!!

2 # Rock Bass --- NO

11 # 4 oz. Bowfin --- YES

19 # 3 oz. Eelpout --- YES

35# 3 oz.Sheephead --- YES

94 # 4 oz. Sturgeon --- HOLY .... Who catches them that big?

94 # 4 oz. Sturgeon --- HOLY .... Who catches them that big?

You are gonna next year!!!!!

I would only mount a game fish. LMB, SMB, Walleye, Crappie, Perch, or Sunfish.

Gators & muskies - no thanks. Too big for my humble abode.

Roughies - no thanks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I don't behold their beauty.

Roughies - no thanks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I don't behold their beauty.

you accidentally inserted a rough fish with your game fish.

A state Record is a state Record. At around $12 an inch I do have my limits.

A state Record is a state Record. At around $12 an inch I do have my limits.

My sentiments exactly MD! How many records does a guy catch in his life? Might as well mount it ugly or not!!

Originally Posted By: katoguy

you accidentally inserted a rough fish with your game fish.

Whoops. Oh, well, I'd still put a nail through the head of the walleye and hang it in the garage! lol

If I caught a state record anything it would be on the wall. (Except a large mouth bass, I'd just unhook it in the water and let it go, wouldn't want the boat to get all stinky... grin)

All bass jokes aside, that is the one fish I would have the most hesitation to mount a record (even though I still probably would). It's just that our record is nothing compared to the 25lbers they get down south and out west, hard to mount a 9lber knowing those fish are out there.

Those fish arent out there in MN tho. Just like mounting a 30" walleye in MN when you can go to canada and increase your chances. A STATE record is just that. You can say that you have caught (and have proof if you choose) the biggest fish of that species in MN the land of 10,000 lakes and millions of anglers. Pretty big thing in a whole.

A state record of any fish, why not. A nice bowfin or burbot would sure make the cabin look better:)

Depends on how much over the record it was. I would hate to own the State record Sheephead mount only to have it broken a week later. Come to think of it I would hate to own the world record Sheep head mount.

Trust me when I say I catch more than my fair share of the moaning beast and take my share of grief over it.

Jamison may recall at the Masaska outing last year we were hot into the Sheephead and the first Walleye landed that day came only after dumping me off at the dock. They follow me around enough on the Lake, not sure I want one in my home.

Would it be imoral or illegal to put it on a auction website ?

Ken,

If you get the state record sheepie mounted and it get's beat I am sure Nick would purchase the old one from you he loves those things!!

Yeah if I caught any fish that was a state record I would get it mounted for sure.

I am in!! I would mount any species if it was the state record.

Oh yeah Mike you forgot Bullhead!! wink

I'd mount a state record regardless of species.

I agree Otter. More than likely I will never get one anyways.

All bass jokes aside, that is the one fish I would have the most hesitation to mount a record (even though I still probably would). It's just that our record is nothing compared to the 25lbers they get down south and out west, hard to mount a 9lber knowing those fish are out there.

But you'd mount a sturgeon? Don't they catch sturgeon 4x that size (94#) in the pacific northwest? Or columbia/sacramento/san joaquin river sturgeon are a diff sub species maybe.

Originally Posted By: PDOGG

But you'd mount a sturgeon? Don't they catch sturgeon 4x that size (94#) in the pacific northwest? Or columbia/sacramento/san joaquin river sturgeon are a diff sub species maybe.

But a 100lb Sturgeon is WAY more impressive then a 9lb bass wether or not there are fish 4X the size in the Columbia. Not sure if it is a differant sub species. I never said I wouldn't mount a 9lb bass, I just said I don't think that it is that impressive of a fish just my opinion!

I know what you're sayin. Just givin ya some grief. I saw a 12# LMB weighed in at a tourny i fished in california on the delta. That was a more impressive LMB.

In reality the Minnesota 9 lbs bass pdogg is talking about should not be compared to the southern bass they are a differnet type if bass. If I am not mistaken I read that somewhere.

No questions here...I would mount any state record fish caught.

If I caught a record it would go on the wall no matter what!!! I would then charge people $5 to come in and look at my record sheepie (Hey i might get one person to come look at it)!!!