• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big (Upper) Spunk for opener?

What's Big Spunk like on opener? Not looking for your secret spots or anything, Just looking for info on the access and if it's busy or not. I'm thinking of trying it for opener, I'm going to be in Avon visiting my G/F's parents on saturday and trying to find a lake to goto for a few hours. Also, What usually works for bait, Minnows, Leeches, Ect? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks for any info.

Upper (Big) is a tough walleye bite on the opener. (for me anyways) Better off targeting Crappies or Northerns. The landing is usually not too crowded on the opener. Check the thread from last year.

Nels

I hit the opener on Upper. Wind was a son of a gun. I caught 5 northerns, a few sunnies, over 40 bass, BUT NO crappie, and NO walleye. I could not keep the bass of the hook....I know it's not a bad problem to have, but I obviously was not after those guys. I was checked in the late afternoon by the DNR and I asked him if he'd seen any eyes or crappies caught on upper. He said he had seen very few crappies and the ones he saw were small. However, he did say that he did see several very nice eyes caught. So somebody have them pegged on opener.

I was on upper on saturday morning for a couple hours, had one smaller northern and I lost a nicer walleye at the boat. Wind was COLD!!! After lunch me and the girlfriend hit lower spunk and had some luck with the northerns. Nothing huge, but fun to catch none the less. We tried bobber fihsing, drifting, back trolling and just couldn't pin the walleyes down on upper. This was my first time on the lake and will definetly be back up there.

Went out on Upper last night in the wind. It was my first time out there in a boat and I wasn't sure what to expect. We were casting small cranks and got 2 small pike and 8 little bass.