• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

As you can see by my number of posts I am a newbie. I live down in Central Florida and have a opportunity to fish Vermillion this coming weekend for bass. I will be fishing with my brothers and brother inlaw and know they will stick me as far back in their boats as they can, I will also be using their hand me down equipment. Because of this disadvantage can anyone suggest lure and color that will bring in a few LM and SM? Thanks in advance for any info

Bogo,

Welcome to FM/HSO!

I am not a bass fisherman but you should get plenty of good advice from some of the other FM members.

Cliff

Use a senco or a football jig with 4 inch worm in dark colors. You should have some action on the shorelines with nice smooth boulders. Suspending cranks also take fish... cast them up on shore wait a couple seconds.. one jerk and then wait again.. most fish will hit it right then. Clown or again dark or natural colors.

I haven't targeted bass for years, however incidental catches are common throughout the season. Casey's info is dead on. I catch them from in tight to out off the first break while fishing early season walleyes. I also catch 'em in deeper water on a jig/minnow combo during the first few weeks of the season, and again after the spawn.

Paul.

Doesn't bass season open up on 5/23?

I have caught a good amount of LMB while northern fishing the shallows early in the season.

Steve

Steve,

The bass season opens in this area at the same time as walleyes.

Cliff

All good stuff guys I appreciate it. The way the airlines operate now I would be spending big bucks to bring up my gear. I have room for a plano box and selected lures. You all know that in a family of fishermen how important it is to make a decent showing or you will be ribbed on the entire trip. Looking forward to some Northern Minnesota fishing, and Minnesota hospitality. The water temp down here is now in the upper 80s and you are fighting the wakes from the skiers, pleasure boaters and jet skis. We will be staying on the west side of the lake but my brother inlaw has a beautful Ranger with a 225 on it so getting to spots would not be a problem. Thanks again.

I'll add my two cents worth. This early I use a fairly light jig with a 3 to 4 inch grub or twister tail both white. I just swim them back slowly over rocks etc. If you're stuck in the back of the boat it will easy to kind of cast ahead a bit and cover enough water ( I fish with my brother-in-law a lot) That white twister tail has hammered the bass for me and it's easy to use no matter who or how the boat is controlled....Good Luck.

Too bad I only fish the east side so I can not really help but I am sure the guides from the area will chime in they always seem to provide very helpful info. Are you going to fish walleye at all? Good Fishing!!

PS. I will also be fishing with my brother in law (actually 3 of them and thier pet monkey) for the opener. One thing I will tell you is you will want to fish slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

I'd suspect with the water temp below 50, you might have more problems locating active fish than with what to use to catch them. In my experience, they are hard to catch in water under 50, very hard to catch when the water is under 45. If it were me, I'd be using rattle traps to locate some biters. Off shore reefs or rock shorelines are low percentage spots at this time of year. The first fish to come up out of the cold will be staging for the spawn. Find the warmest water you can near spawning areas. Areas with a sand and /or gravel will be your best bets.

Some of the biggest SM of the year come off the rock shorelines early. I wouldn't suggest the reefs, but some of the secondary stuff you will find fish. Rattle traps should get you all the northern pike action you could ever want but I would stick to a slower presentation. Dago bay is always good near the Vermilion River for largemouth in early May. Lots of thing will work in there.

What did I read that right.

Somebody has a pet monkey?

Its pretty cold for monkeys this time of year.

Theres killer smallies in that lake they are a blast to catch.

My fav way is called the "search and rescue, throw a rattle trap. I throw and throw where ever it looks "fishy" I hear you get alot of northerns that way.

I know one thing monkeys are curious, be careful.

Good luck on the opener

Fins

I'd throw in X-raps too, hit the rocky shorelines with the warmest water you can find. When the water is cold sometimes that pause you can make with the x-rap will trigger strikes.

Cpt. QS is right too. We often catch lots of bass on grubs/tubes. Brown is a popular color, so is white.

Cliff,

Thanks for setting me straight. The Seasons page on the DNR website doesn't list the NE zone opening earlier then the rest of the state. It is in the rule book though.

Steve

Thanks for all the info, I put together a box of Husky jerk-baits,

XRaps, jigs, Senkos and tubes. I also am bringing some Rattle traps. I would love to catch some big pike, we don't have toothy critters down here unless you count gators. No one mentioned top water. Is it because of water temp? Thanks again

Well i never say never when it comes to a bait but the cool water has never been real productive for top water. Now with that said I have read Bassmaster mag articles where the do throw them with water under 50 degrees.

Pike should not be a problem I am sure if you are throwing hard baits around weeds you will get a pike or two. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do.

Also bring WARM clothes.

Bring some spinner baits in white and chartuse for early season pike.

Cliff

bogo - one things I've found that works on the smallies is a crawdad colored Bomber A... the smaller version of it. Either that or wacky rig a senko. I prefer green with flake or bubblegum. (I know.. green or pink, not even close to each other, but hey, it works)

• 2 weeks later...

Being from Florida i truly believe the newby annotation. I do not believe you are in the running for any paticular monkey awards, but i am very confident it will stay in the family.

Bring some spinner baits in white and chartuse for early season pike.

Cliff

Bogo i believe this one is a definite probablity for you. I too reccomend you should bring lots of large spinnerbaits, paticularlly in the black and red colors. see you soon, and let me apologize now for dropping you down a few places.

home computer crashed, only three months old. were bringing it in to geek squad today.

Where's the fun in that? Let it fly. Because i can guarentee there wont be an angelfish or monkey award coming this way. It's just too bad that this years winner wont be a repeater from previous years.

BOGO,

Yes I do have a boat however it is still in the shop. Having trouble getting the reverse gear I am told because it is a high preformance lower unit. Supposed to be this comng week. Hope to have it for the classic next weekend.

MTSBNN,

I will not berate you on this message board for the whole world to see. I will do it in private though, and as you know Mikey will not be ther this year. On a side note you cant win the monkey because the brothers ONLY like to share the monkey with each other and wont let anyone else in on the deal. Now for the angel fish the smart money is on PJ.

my condolences gentlemen. It was very rough news to hear, let me know if there is anything i can do or assist with.