• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is the best bait to bring into the BWCA on a week long trip? Best transport method, bait buckets, etc?

Minnows in air bags on some ice. I freeze gatorade bottles and use them then I have ice water later. Leeches the same way. Crawlers I dont bring usually.

Then I can put the minnows and leeches in screw top leech lockers and at night sink them with rocks inside to keep them in the cooler water and keep them from washing up on shore.

Leeches in oxy packs until you get to the campsite (in a cooler if you are bringing one along). Then put them in a leech locker and put them in the lake. Never lost leeches even in the warmest days of summer.

Steve

I don't really want to be hauling a cooler around all week. Be as light as can be. Leaches may be the best to keep alive in smaller bucket.

the small leech tamer bags work for us. We transpport the leeches inside a insulated food pack that straps on your back.same with crawlers if we bring at all.

Even without one, in a leech tamer, they will make it with a dip now and then.

Minnows are a pain. We seine or trap are own if we need them, and are kept alive in the plastic leech container.

Leeches always come, becasue of the ease and they are so tough.

MUd

Yeah Berkley Gulp will probably make the trip as well. Going to Rainy Lake next month and will try it out first. See if it really out performs live bait. If so I guess my problems are solved!

Gulp works. Caught a walleye this winter on it.

Nice to have leeches under a bobber at camp while sippin on a few cocktails.

The frabile minnow buckets work well for minnows otherwise the leech tamer is the way to go along with a larger worm box with bedding that you can add water to and keep in the shade.

I never have used a leech tamer before. I saw two different types at Gander the other day. One looked like a smaller pouch, sandwich bag style. The other was more of a cylinder, much bigger, a few gallons in volume. Whats the best bet?

When going into the BWCA I like the yellow bullet shaped screw top ones. I dont like the snap top ones they come undone too easy. The mesh ones work best in a boats live well.