• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

a buddy and i are heading up there at o'dark forty saturday morning. we learned alot about the lake this past winter. i have never fished the open water up there before, we are pretty pumped for it. i am a little worried about the launch though, my bud checked it out last week and said it is pretty shallow. i have a 16&1/2 ft alumacraft and hopefully we can make it work. good luck out there.

I made it out in my 16' all last year, so you should be good. Are you going out for lakers or stream trout?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Will, I have fished the lake for years winter and summer and have never got a Walleye or Pike out of it. Why are you going to more or less a Trout lake on Walleye opener? To each his own I guess? Good luck! wink

We are going for both lakers and rainbows. I do alot of walleye fishing throughout the year, so opener for me means trout. Last weekend walleyes/saugers on the croix, next weekend, crappies and eyes on upper red.

Any good tips for Lakers? I've got all the equipment(downrigers etc...) I went up a few times last year and really could not get them figured out.

We are going to troll and vertical jig over a bunch of spots that i marked on the gps over the winter. There are some humps on the east side about mid lake that would be a good starting point. I am going to try inline downriggers with dodgers and spoons, stick baits and cranks. Jigging i like white tubes and airplanes with a hunk of meat. I know early in the year lakers will cruise shallower water, so who knows.

Are you trying to find baitfish or are you strictly fishing structure?

Structure. I don't know what kind of baitfish are in there besides smelt, and i found those everywhere out there this winter.

Let me know how you do. I probably not going to make it out this weekend but maybe Friday next week. I will post any results good or bad.

You should not have problem getting your boat out, we have no issues getting a 22' pontoon out. I have been told that trooling with a deep diving rap works good. THey are still pretty shallow as the level of disilved oxygen is still pretty high in the water colum. Good luck guys, I will be out during the week.

Ive been thinking about trying Raps or spinners behind planer boards. I think if you work the shoreline with them it might work well. The only lakers I've caught on Grindstone were on orange Rap's in 10-15 feet of water. If I remember correctly it was about the second week of the season. Has anyone tried boards on Grindstone?

Did great on the bows and browns. No success with the lakers, did not try too hard, we had too much fun chasing the others. I heard someone talking about a five lb laker that they caught.