• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey there to all Big V anglers. I am coming to the big V for opener and am looking for idea's on where to start for Mr. Eye. I know that I can sit in Pike's and walk across boats and bobber fish but that is not my idea a fun. I also know that people fish Stunts Bay and Armstrong but I have never had good luck in them. I am looking at how other guys fish the opening weekend and other idea's for spots to try. I do not want anyone's honey hole but more of just an idea where to start and how one might try to fish them.

Thanks,

Froggy.

Froggy,

I'm convinced that half the people fishing Pike Bay on opener never fish again the rest of the season. They fish it because it's a known spawning area, and will always hold some walleyes, especially in the spring.

Pike Bay IS a good early season location. Trolling Raps is a simple but effective presentation. Work 'em slow (1.5 mph), and work 'em fast (up to 3 mph). Try bright colors, and try some dark. The fish will tell you what they want.

The logical next step in the progression is to work the primary break line off of main lake points and islands. Try pitching 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jigs with soft plastics, minnows, crawlers and leeches. Use a pop and hop presentation.

Cranks really shine on the first break as well. Try trolling Shad Raps or Thundersticks in 8 to 15 feet of water at varying speeds. If that doesn't work, switch to a casting presentation using the same baits. Try a straight retrieve with an occasional short rip and pause.

Moving deeper, you enter the transition zone. Many of the shore or shoal spawning walleyes will frequent transition bottom areas. The key is to locate the change from rock to sand or mud. Jigging or rigging works, and use a slow presentation.

Even deeper yet are the mud holes and flats. Walleye and jumbo perch use these areas to feed on mayfly larva. Again, jigs and rigs work well when targeting these deep fish.

Good luck!

Paul.

Froggy,

Paul pretty much covered it!

I always fish deeper water in the spring. 24' to 36' on the transition breaks and also out into the mud.

The key to catching fish in the deeper water is to move as slow as possible and pay attention for light bites!

Good Fishing and have a safe opener!

Cliff

Thanks guys,

I fish alot we started coming to the Big V about 5 years ago on opener. I really enjoy it more in mid summer but the opening day is fun I just hate crowds. The guys I am with want to sit and watch a bobber and we get fish that is not a problem but anyone can chuck out a bobber and wait for a fish to bite. I will try some things different this year while the extra's are taking a nap.

Thanks guys

Froggy

I always wonder how to find these transitions without a camera. I am sure that hiring a guide would help, but are there any other methods that someone would be willing to share? I know closer to shore you can see the change sometimes but I am still fairly stumped. I think I know where some of them are simply because there is no other reason that we continue to catch walleyes in areas with little to no structure. What the transition is from and to I do not know. I guess I could throw out the anchor and see what comes up!?

Unclebruce,

You are right in a way about the anchor! You certainly can be sure that way what is on the bottom!

A color graph makes it very easy to see the transition areas. All you have to do is watch the graph for the color changes of the bottom line. Yellow is hard bottom,(rock, gravel) red with yellow mixed in is usually the transition from rock to gravel.

red/yellow truning to blue is the gravel to mud transition line.

solid blue is mud.

This can vary some depending upon how you have your depth finder adjusted.

Cliff

Cliff,

What kind of color graph do you use or recommend? I am interested in purchasing a new one this spring.

Wondering if anyone will give some suggestions as to where to start for this years opener. We will be on the west end, wolf bay, niles bay, oak narrows. The water still is fairly cold, will the bite be deep or will the eyes be up shallow. Any help would be great.

I have been using Lowrance depthfinders for years and have been very happy with them.

At this time I am using a X510C. The newest equivilent would be the Lowrance HDS-5 or HDS-7. Both of these units are probably even better then the one I have!

Cliff

Thanks for the info Cliff! See you on the water.....

junior,

Welcome to FM/HSO!

Casey or Paul may be able to give you a few tips for the West end on opener.

I do not fish that end of the lake , but know that they target the weed edges a lot early in the season.

Cliff

Wondering if anyone will give some suggestions as to where to start for this years opener. We will be on the west end, wolf bay, niles bay, oak narrows. The water still is fairly cold, will the bite be deep or will the eyes be up shallow. Any help would be great.

I think the Oak narrows and Birch Narrows are popular spots early as is Frazer bay, Norwegian and Black Bay/Partridge river area. I would stick to a little bit shallower water on the West end. At least as a starting point water 17-18 ft or shallower. There will be a population of fish in deeper water and it might be where you have to go to find your 'keeper' size fish.. could be difficult to locate over there though with all the baitfish and other species constantly on the locator.

Thanks Casey, This will give us somewhere to start. I appreciate the help thanks again. Hopefully we can get some keepers in the boat. Junior