• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was skimming through the regs today and it didn't say anything about not being able to use 2 lines on the st. louis (on the border of course). So I assume I am allowed to use 2 lines? I'm used to fishing the croix and know that some regs differ between the 2 rivers...might be fishing the st. louis in late june.

You are allowed to use two lines on the St Louis river border waters. Though my personal experience is you won't have time for two and will end up missing more fish fiddling around with two lines than if you concentrated on one line. Good luck! Should be a banner year!!

Yes its 2 lines in the St Louis river and I make sure to use them all the time. At times if Im really on fish and jigging I will jig 1 rod but usually Im working 2 rods. By the way make sure you have both MN and Wi regs with ya.

Your allowed 3 lines on the Wi side of the river and 2 lines on the Mn side.

Ran where did ya see that? I know its 3 lines on Wi waters of Lake Superior.

In all honesty I normally only use 2 lines when shorefishing, because as already mentioned it is usually more hassle than it's worth. But just wanted to know for sure just in case I wanted to experiment with baits. Thanks for the info.

Thats the way it was explained to us by the CO. Regulations on boundary waters may differ between states, you must obey the regulations of the state in which you are fishing. Wi allows 3 lines on Lake Superior and its inland waters. There for your allowed to use 3 lines on thw WI side of the river. I never use more the two lines on the river anyway.

I was told by a CO that it is legal to fish 3 lines through the ice on the cheesey side of the river, but only 2 lines during open water. pretty sure this is right. don't think I have ever seen someone trolling 3 lines on the river, would be nice if you could though

dave

Ya even in back bays on the cheesey side in the summer I have never seen anyone with 3 lines out. Winter yes/summer no.

I'm trying to find that rule in the Wi Regs?( 2 lines open water and 3 lines ice fishing) I can't find anything in there saying that. Could be I'm just not seeing it.

Here's what I found in the WI regs. On page 60 the 4th bullet point under the

Fishing restrictions on Wisconsin-minnesota boundary waters

it says word for word

Wisconsin residents need a Wisconsin fishing license and Minnesota residents need a Minnesota license to fish in these boundary waters. Residents of other

states need a nonresident license from Wisconsin or Minnesota. Regulations on these waters may differ between states. You must obey the regulations

of the state in which you are fishing.

I hope that helps clarify things

There is no boundry line enforced on the St. Louis river, like lets say the Rainy River, so I dont know if that applies Wally. Ill make some calls tomorrow and see what the powers to be say.

All I know is that tat is exactly how it is writen in the regs. I copied it word for word.

I talked to many leagues guys tonight and they all told me that its 2 lines on the whole St. Louis River. Thats always what I went by as well.

As we all know there are many "Grey" areas in the regs that could use better clarification.

Here's what I found in the WI regs. On page 60 the 4th bullet point under the

Fishing restrictions on Wisconsin-minnesota boundary waters

it says word for word

Wisconsin residents need a Wisconsin fishing license and Minnesota residents need a Minnesota license to fish in these boundary waters. Residents of other

states need a nonresident license from Wisconsin or Minnesota. Regulations on these waters may differ between states. You must obey the regulations

of the state in which you are fishing.

I hope that helps clarify things

I was told by a CO that it is legal to fish 3 lines through the ice on the cheesey side of the river, but only 2 lines during open water.

How can you use 3 lines on the Wi. side threw the ice if theres no state border line like NL says? How would you know you were on the Wi side then? It is confusing.

It dosent matter what League guys say it is, it matters what the Wi game warden says it is. It could be 2 on both sides, I'm just saying the way the regs are wrote it looks like you can fish 3 on the Wi side of the river. I will give Krull a call and see what he says. If nothing else this is passing time till the opener smile

So here is what I found from the Wi. DNR office. 3 lines may be used in Wi waters of the river. Maps are available at the DNR office and Bong Center. Make sure you have a license for the state your a resident of if its Mn or Wi.

Now I have to call the MN office and see what their interpretation of this is.

If you insist on 3 lines in Wi waters you better make sure your in Wi. waters because where the line is at times is very goofy.

Thats what the lady who answered the phone said so according to her you were correct. Feel better now? It doesnt make sense to me but Im not the Wi. DNR. You need 3 rods. winkgrin

Call me later after 3pm.

The MN / WI border follows the channel everywhere up to Fon du Lac except in one place. The border skirts in and around the little island off of the Clyde Ave. landing. In Fon du Lac where the river splits around a grouping of islands the border splits the river between the Minnesota shoreline and the islands in the river. The only two islands on the whole river that fall in Minnesota waters are the two little ones in Spirit Lake. ( not sure about bird island upriver of the Blatnik though. Yeah I use two lines when I am trolling but this time of year I strictly jig fish and two rods are a pain. Never knew you could use three lines in open water on the river though. Learn somethin new every day.

Oops I forgot, the island just downstream from boy scout landing is a MN island too.