• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are you going for the opener?

Where is everyone going? I will be either on Rice or somewhere on the horseshoe chain. Im headin out around 10am and will be fishing until or just after dark. Good luck to you all and please be safe.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm undecided. I may go chase some flats or fish eyes of Rice, Koronis or the chain after it gets dark.

Mille Lacs....brought the boat up today, in fact. We rent a slip at Myr Mar through June, so when we're done fishing (if we even go out at midnight), we sit back, have a cold one, and watch the melee unfold. It's always fun to see how rusty fellas get after having the boat in storage for a few months. We've seen people forget to take off the tie down straps, lock their keys in the car, drop a trolling motor in the lake, drop boat keys in the lake, forget to bring the boat key (and not remember 'til their in the harbor, and be so drunk that they fall over in the boat. In fact, I usually have more fun watching people than I do fishing.

Borch (or other Rice Lake guru's),

I'll be at a friend's place on Rice for the opener. I have fished it several times in the summer and fall but never in the Spring.

What is the best presentation for eye's in the Spring - lindy's, slip bobber, jigging, plastics, ????

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!

Im no rice lake guru but have spent a lot of time on the lake and fished quite a few past openers out there. My best success during the early season has come from using jigs or lindy rigs with either fatheads or rainbow chubs. I have had some of my best luck in under 12fow. Lots of good spots to try out there and if the eyes are not going there should be some good crappie fishing in the north east bay. Like I said Im no guru but I hope this helps a little.

I use jigs or livebait rigs with minnows or leaches most springs. Don't be afraid to troll shadraps either as some openers this has been a hot ticket for me. Depths really vary but most springs think shallow.

Borch,

Do you prefer the shad-type baits or the longer, thinner original floaters? I only ask because I've traditionally done better with the long, thinner baits like HJ's and Rogues. Do you find the fish to have a preference?

It varies. I've done very well on both. When I'm fishing weeds I like to use the shad raps due to the vibration and how easily the weeds can be clear with a quick snap of the rod. Early spring will find #11 floating raps, rattlin rogues and shad raps on my line. As the water warms it'll be mostly shad style baits. Come fall the long baits get the nod again with bigger baits as the water cools below 50 degrees.

How about we just pretend that fall isn't going to come for, oh, say forever?!?

Actually it's my favorite 4 letter f word.....well maybe second favorite. wink