• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You guys that fish French, how do you get your boat in and out of that landing? I have a bunk trailer and find it almost impossible unless the water is really high. Does anyone know what they charge over at Hoy's to land there and is it a good landing? Do they have anywhere to park over there?

Hoys I believe is 5 bucks?

It can be done with a Bunk right now. In August it will get iffy however. They have dredged and there is a hole from power loading, but right past that hole...watch it for about 100 yards out.

Last fall we had high winds out of the north and it filled the hole back up. cry I know Muskies inc. CH54 has contacted the dnr several times to do something but to no avail. If another sportsmans club or 2 or 3 could get on their case or pool some $$$ together we could solve this problem. If you could help email me and lets get something done! smile

Do you think the DNR would let us do that? I think we could get the back-hoe.

Last August I had trouble with a 14 foot shallow hull alumacraft with a short shaft motor

I had the same problem as you with a 14'. Just easier to get out and walk it. That is one shallow landing!!!

The DNR won't let you do the clean up or excavate the prop wash hole; I know some Minnesota River guys have offered to do work on those sites and they've been told not to do it as its a liability hazard.

Your best bet is to contact a local Trails and Waterways division area office. Try Elysian or New Ulm

We have been for two years now and still no luck. I have a bunk trailer and I put uhmw skids on the bunks so the boat slides off with ease, even with no water touching it.

The DNR won't let you do the clean up or excavate the prop wash hole; I know some Minnesota River guys have offered to do work on those sites and they've been told not to do it as its a liability hazard.

Your best bet is to contact a local Trails and Waterways division area office. Try Elysian or New Ulm

I just left a message with Bob at the DNR (New Ulm). Hopefully I will hear back, and I will post what I get for feedback on our options.

I have a 15 1/2' boat and I have to muscle it on but it makes it easier to wench on.

I did not hear back from the DNR today. Hopefully tomorrow.

dcmusky - your having issues this year? I have not yet been on french yet this season.

I haven't been there yet either, too busy trout fishing blush I guess if a guy drives buy on Saturday we could find out pretty quick. Last fall when we were stocking fish the water in the hole was only to my shins and I'm only 6'1". Unfortunatly we havn't had allot of rain or run off this year to fill the lake so I'm not too optimistic.

I plan on fishing it Saturday. I'll let you know. I may have to do Hoy's I guess. I need 2 feet of water to float my boat. smirk

I still did not hear back from the DNR today.

I will send an e-mail to the general email box tomorrow, see where that gets us.

Going to Hoy's is ok they are a great bunch of people over there!

I second that one... they put up with me and 8 other rowdy guys for my buddies bachelor party!

I just got off the phone with Hoy's. She said their landing is just as shallow right now. frown

French Lake landing (DNR) is un-usable! I had all 26 feet of my trailer in, all 4 of my truck tires in...way past the dock, and was still only to my hub-caps on my boat! Guys with 14 foot flat bottoms had issues.

I trailered over to Hoy's, and theirs was barely usable for anyone with a Deep-Vee!

• 1 month later...

It sounds like they need to condemn some shoreland for a new landing. It is a waste to stock a lake so heavily whan public access is so limited.

If Madison lake can have more than 2 public landings, I can't see why French can't have 2. Maybe on the north side of the lake. It would shorten the trip by 6 miles for some people in the area. Or is that the Idea, have the landing in the most difficult area to get to, in a area that is unuseable half the time!

There used to be a landing on the north side, actually the concrete is still there, just all beat up. I think it is still privately owned by the guy with the Pabst Blue Ribbon sign on the building next to it.

That was Knipple's Resort & he used to charge $5 too launch (a fair price), but I accidently took that road off 21 thinking it was the right one, well, I had to turn around down there. Man there are some nice homes there & I sort of doubt they would want people to access there, plus I think it tapers slowly there too, not much better as I remember. Could be wrong, but an alternative is definitely needed, unless like you said, they want to keep it slightly inaccessible to the masses.Which would make it a gem to those who could get in there or make the effort to find a way to fish it. For now it's off limits to me. Let them grow I guess. L2f

Yes the public access has been dredged. grin You still have to watch out though getting out, I've seen 3 boats get stuck this year.

has there been any decent size muskies caught out of that lake recently within the past week? anyone been having much luck? thanks for your input.

The access isnt bad now but I spent the last week out there and the lake has dropped even more eek