• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was wondering if anyone in this area angles for shiners and/or redtail chubs? It is a great way to kill some time and save money on bait. I am still new to the area and was hoping for some hints on areas to give a try. If you prefer let me know and I can give you my email address. Even if you seine and would be willing to give up a spot, I can always try and wet a line.

Also, what are the most consistent places for a quality supply of minnows? I know Rocky's/Manny's in Erhard is pretty good.

Just got back from seining, lots of sorting since the big ones arent' quite in yet, but we got about 10 dozen nice shiners and kept about 7 dozen small ones to use for crappies. I would say by Sunday they will be running in full force. Big D, Sallie, Melissa, and most of the other lakes in the area have small creeks running into them that will be thick with shiners soon. Check out some lake maps and see what you can find. Good shiner spots are tough to give up so I won't say anything here.

You dirty dog!!! wink Seining is a lot of fun, and it sure is rewarding, would you care to share how you store your minnows and keep them alive? When I go out I don't dare keep too many because I always end up killing most of them. Usually sometime the week before opener my bro shows up with a big 6 gallon styro cooler loaded with monster rainbows and some shiners. The rainbows are a bit hardier than the shiners.

I usually bring 2 20 gallon coolers with and can load them up with about a gallon of shiners in each one. My buddy's dad has an old 250+ gallon stainless steel milk tank that we put them in. He runs well water through it 1 hour every day and has 2 large aerators in it. I have a 50 gallon floating bait pen I made that I keep accross the street in Big Detroit on my neighbors dock, I can keep around 2 gallons in there if I want. Also have a buddy that's got two pens in a spring fed creek which is 50 degrees or less most of the summer so the shiners will last until late June over there. There are about 12 of us that use the shiners from these 3 spots so we have plenty. I only have to drive 5-7 minutes to any of these places to drop the shiners off so I can load the coolers pretty good without any dying. I usually bring a gallon (30-40 dozen) with me for opener weekend.

Trap my own fatheads. Two reasons, real easy and inexpensive! Tend to catch as many or more fish than others. A live fathead will outfish a dead shiner 10 out of 10 times.

You would be surprised how many ponds have minnows, just throw in the tray and "forget it", come back the next day and a guy has all he needs. Just need to keep in mind without a minnow license can only have 12 dozen or something like that according to regs. All I need now is a good sorting system to separate large minnows. Tried 1/2 inch mess but way to big, 3/8 is probably right size to use.

I have always been told that a gallon of decent size shiners is approx 70-80 Dozen. Have I been getting bad information all these years? Also the limit on minnows is 24 dozen per licensed angler and if your going to go out and sein minnows shiners especially I suggest you have your minnow storage plan well put together. It doesn't take much for them to die off!

Awesome, I assume those are caught in a river or lake not a pond, unless of course the pond has been stocked?

It was a stocked pond!! There are also some pretty darn good shiners in the mix too!! My bait needs are taken care of for the weekend!!!

Oh yeah, plus I need to buy a pound of leeches off of someone, than my bait needs will be taken care of. 62 hours to go!!!!

heck I don't even know, could be rainbows, could be dace, but they work pretty good!!!!!Pretty sure they are just rainbows though, some are more pale than others. The darker ones have the red and yellow stripe more visable down the side. I also have some nice shiners mixed in. I just went and checked 'em and changed the water on them, it got a bit warm today.

I'd like to get some of them, are there any creeks or rivers up your way to seine them? We'll be fishing and staying up your way starting tomorrow and may look for more shiners since we didn't get to many this year.

I'll ask my bro where he got them! I'll call that fool in a little while. He should know of some good places to go. He doesn't do it commercially, just happens to find them this time of year while at work.

Well I didn't catch him he already left the office! I'll see what I can get out of him this evening!

Give me a call on my cell, I'll be fishing all day tomorrow up your way chasing slabs.

Ok will do! Yikes, good thing you aren't a "fair weather fisherman". It's going to be a typical chilly breezy opener.

Guys ~

Its a full moon tonight and with minnows being a little tougher to come by, do you think a husky jerk or floating rap after midnight will work or is the water temp too cold? I usually only go with the minnow baits in the late summer or fall, but thought I'd try them tonight.

I don't think it will hurt to try. I am planning on pitching a few cranks after dark into the shallows.

I'm no expert at night fishing, last year at this same time me and a friend went out after dark, I was fishing the usual shad type body and he had more of a minnow style body and it worked for him. Just casting it into the shallows, the same side of the lake that was getting pounded by the wind the last couple of days. I would definitely give both of those options a try, let us know how you do!!!!!!