• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

this will be my first year heading up to leech for opener..

what should i try for opener? jig/minnow rapalas leeches?

can anyone lead me in the right way to some good action?

A jig and shiner/rainbow is tough to beat. Look to Pine Point or Hardwoods area....there should be plenty of boats.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Also a good place to look is mounds point and its close to pine if your up that way.

Whatever the case, follow the wind... If you get a wind that is from the southwest, I'd head up to Ottertail point. North wind or northwest wind...either pine or Stoney

Goose Island usually has something going on it as well..

Steve

This will be my first opener on Leech after spending the past few a little further south on Mille Lacs. When running the jig/shiner presentation is it a drifting/dragging presentation? Or are people anchored and pitching jigs? Also are there any colors that are "go to" on Leech? Finally, what are some boat launch options that get you close to Pine Pt, Goose, Ottertail, Hardwoods, etc? It looks like most of that area is private resorts.

Good luck to all that are heading up there this weekend. The weather looks decent - let's hope the fish cooperate for everyone.

BJP, I would start with the dragging/drifting method until you get on top of fish. Once you are one them, mark your spot and anchor off a little bit and pitch jigs into the fish. I would say that my go to color would be green. As far as launching, I almost always launch at Grand Vu. I believe it is $5 and you are right on top of the areas you want to be at. I will be in a 18ft Alumacraft tiller with decals on the wave wackers. If you see me, stop by and say hi.

Thats good advise Lake doctor as long as you have the spot to your self. Dont try anchoring in a drift with alot of boats. Leech will be an expirenece if you have not been before. Some anglers can be very inconsiderate, like throtling back thru boats on a drift, (go around or move slowly) or passing too close at high speed, you will see it all.

I have seen plenty of interesting behavior over the years both during opener and while fishing Pool 4 in March/April. I keep hoping that people will get smarter as years go by and good fishing ethics are passed down to the next generation. Besides the jig/minnow bite do you see many other bobber fishing or pulling cranks? Since it will be my first open water trip, I thought trying some different techniques might be fun.

Looks like most people are talking about areas in the western part of the lake. First time on open water for Leech for me as well, staying on the Southeast side. Just bought a Hot Spots map, anyone have opinions regarding places like, Campbells Reef, Peilican or Bear Island areas. Looking at the map as a whole reminds me "man this is a big lake." Good Luck to all and be safe.

Anyone ever launch at the Battle Point public access on the opener? If so does it fill up?

We've launched on Battle on the opener. It's been busy, but we never had to leave the parking lot. It has the two ramps so you can usually get in and out fairly quickly.

Red Rocks or the West Bar Reef will hold fish in the rocks if they have moved. Sugar Point and around between Bear Island and Boy Bay will have boats. Depending of the weather and how far you want to travel will be your only limit. Stoney and Little Stoney will be busy too. smile

We fish the Federal Dam area, Five Mile Point, or Two Points depending on the wind. Green/Chartruse jig and shiner or chub. Drifting with a Lindy style rig works also.

I have to agree with Go Fish Leech, I would watch anchoring if around a lot of boats, but good luck and enjoy Leech!

Please do not plan to anchor in a good drift spot. Like some others have said, it isn't necessary, and will create some hostility. I've heard stories of anchor lines being cut when some poor soul makes this mistake in the middle of a good drift. Thanks, and good luck.

Midnight where are you staying on the SE side? We are going to be at Chippewa the end of May. Just curious. Jeff

I have been fishing Leech my whole life and the last few years have been phenominal. It is nothing to go out for 3 or 4 hours and catch 60 walleyes, with a great chance at a fish over 28 inches. It is big lake with numerous spots holding numerous fish and there is no reason for anyone to anchor.

I have tried Gulp leeches and they have worked just as well as live bait, but it also was mid to late June when I used them so I don't know how effective they are in the early season.

Last opener I was using emerald shiner gulp and out fished the 2 others in the boat 2 to 1 but I only had 1 that was a keeper everything else was 22in. to 26in.

Thats what i was thinkin. There are a few lakes it doesnt work on but usually it out fish's live bait. For me any way

thannks and good luck to all. hopefully the weather is good. Good luck

Opener is only a day and a half away. Okay, maybe a little longer, but still can't wait. Good luck to everyone and I hope everyone has a safe and sucessful opener.

Make sure you bring a camera. You are going to catch a lot of fish in the 23 to 26 inch range in the same spots as you will catch your keeper fish. Last year my girlfriend and I had numerous times where we had doubles on and both of them were over 24 inches. Lots of fun, hope you have a good time.