• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi guy/gals. Just wondering if anyone has been seeing any carp in the shallows yet in any of the Alec or Glenwood lakes areas?

Thanks

look in my past reports. i have been catching carp since march

are you gonna shoot them?

I saw a few up on Mary last weekend. They were spooky though, and tough to get close to.

wow...now i'll admit to e-scouting for waterfowl, but e-scouting for carp! sweet!

we are thinking about hitting waska on satuday depending on the wind...hopefully we can fill the 55 gallon drum full of fish!

i have only seen a few creeks in the alex area with carp, that are shootable. the crick in my backyard is full of them, and i want to thin them down, they are really mucking up the water and making the stream hard to fish. i love fishing for carp, but there are just to many. as long as you do not leave them on the shoreline, i will show you where the area is. (and you must leave a few for me to catch in there lol)

i am not very supportive of bowfishing and spearing, but the carp are out of control in the creek

i have only seen a few creeks in the alex area with carp, that are shootable. the crick in my backyard is full of them, and i want to thin them down, they are really mucking up the water and making the stream hard to fish. i love fishing for carp, but there are just to many. as long as you do not leave them on the shoreline, i will show you where the area is. (and you must leave a few for me to catch in there lol)

i am not very supportive of bowfishing and spearing, but the carp are out of control in the creek

I would love to help you with your carp problem. My best friend lives on Reno, I would be more than willing to call him and send him over for you. He is a nice guy. Actually he says he has seen you in town. (reconized from the pics). He's good guy he could take some out for you. Let me know.

wow...now i'll admit to e-scouting for waterfowl, but e-scouting for carp! sweet!

I love the ugly "suckers". wink

where do you have that stream and could me and my brother come do a little fishing this weekend

where do you have that stream and could me and my brother come do a little fishing this weekend

alot of people were back there today, they are spooky but they are VERY thick.

here is the place you can park, walk the entire crick, but the carp are thickest by where the forest starts on the map

google earth view

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

I would love to help you with your carp problem. My best friend lives on Reno, I would be more than willing to call him and send him over for you. He is a nice guy. Actually he says he has seen you in town. (reconized from the pics). He's good guy he could take some out for you. Let me know.

alright, i posted a link to a map on the post above. he is more then welcome to go take a bunch, there are HUNDREDS down there, and they are making it completely impossible for me to stalk bowfin

update on the area.

alot of carp were taken opening day. there are quite a few left in there, but they are no where near as thick as they were. thanks everyone who went and thinned em out a bit. now i can go finning without a worry of spooking a bunch of carp and making the water clarity nil. i am kinda upset, someone shot a bowfin. and to add to that they left it lay on the shore mad

Seams like many of the bow fisherman around my area like to leave their fish on shore to. Really makes it hard to enjoy fishing when theres a ton of rotting fish all around you.

Seams like many of the bow fisherman around my area like to leave their fish on shore to. Really makes it hard to enjoy fishing when theres a ton of rotting fish all around you.

ya there are a whole bunch along the shore. went by a whole bunch while finning today. man even though they are only a few days old they smell horrid!

im just glad it wasnt like last year. last year people killed almost every single carp in the crick, and most were left to rot. you could smell them rotting throughout the summer, you could even smell it from like quarter of a mile away. it was bad

If you ever see people leaving them on shore call the DNR. I am an avid bowfisherman and it makes me mad when people disrespect the sport by leaving their kill on the banks. It only gives all bowfisherman a bad name and I don't want the sport to die because of it.

If you ever see people leaving them on shore call the DNR. I am an avid bowfisherman and it makes me mad when people disrespect the sport by leaving their kill on the banks. It only gives all bowfisherman a bad name and I don't want the sport to die because of it.

i know. i respect bowfishing as a sport. but when they leave the fish on the shore it just ticks me off. and i guess some people talked to the DNR and the officer said leaving fish on the shore is fine. just as long as they are out of sight. confused is that true?

i have been looking to catch some of them in the act. havent got them yet though. i the TIPS # stored on my phone for quick dialing

i am kinda upset, someone shot a bowfin. and to add to that they left it lay on the shore mad

Is shooting Bowfin illegal?

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake
i am kinda upset, someone shot a bowfin. and to add to that they left it lay on the shore mad

Is shooting Bowfin illegal?

no. but i love them, and seeing people shoot them thinking they harm the lake, just frustrates me. and leaving them on the shore, it just ticks me off.

leaving any fish on the shore to die, and rot is illegal, but its bad how people do it anyway. there has to be 200lbs of carp along the entire crick. and maybe 50 in the crick.

Thanks for the response Jake. I didn't think they were illegal to shoot, but I wanted to make sure in case I was missing something. I do bowfish as you can tell from my avatar, but I will leave the bowfin to the anglers as I know how fun these fish are to catch on tackle and watch them destroy the lures!

I have called the warden before and told him that a guy was leaving them on shore, all I was told was that it's not illegal to do it. They (the wardens) prefer that they take them with you but it's not illegal to leave them lie. This was a few years ago though, maybe the laws have changed since then.

Sorry this was meant to be a response to King Fishers post

Thanks for the response Jake. I didn't think they were illegal to shoot, but I wanted to make sure in case I was missing something. I do bowfish as you can tell from my avatar, but I will leave the bowfin to the anglers as I know how fun these fish are to catch on tackle and watch them destroy the lures!

haha ya. thats why i go to wal-mart for my bowfin spinner baits. $1.00 each wink

gotta love it